Deadline Deals

wcblack34

The trade deadline is next week. This is a thread for deals you'd like to see the Vikings make by then, if any. 

While secondary help would be ideal, the top name on my wishlist would be Brandin Cooks. His salary for this year is just $2.5MM, and that would be prorated for the remaining games. While KJ Osborn has been very good so far this year as a #3, Cooks would give us a lot more experience and respect at the position. I think he'd likely cost us a third round pick, but perhaps a deal could be made where we trade a fifth and a player like Alexander Mattison. Perhaps Mattison and our third for Cooks and a 4th/5th.

I also wouldn't mind looking at Xavien Howard. He's a very solid corner with a manageable contract over the next three seasons. He's a proven commodity but is having a down year. Seems like the kind of project Mike Zimmer should be able to work magic with. Since Patrick Peterson, Breeland and Alexander are only on one-year deals, Howard makes a lot of sense.

As far as players I'd trade away, I don't know if anyone stands out to me. I'd be willing to part ways with Bradbury if a team was willing to give up something for him. However, I don't think he'd net much in return, and it might not be the best idea to shake up the offensive line. Defensively, there aren't a ton of guys with value who we'd want to move. Perhaps one of our DTs. If we could get a late round pick for Sheldon Richardson, I think I'd be happy with that. Watts and Lynch appear to be capable of holding down the backup spots. 

39 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d stick to the WR grouping. Osborn has more than earned the third spot. 

Only spot this team is in desperate need of help is CB and maybe TE.

Osborne is great, but there’s no question that Cooks would demand a higher level of respect. And like I said, he’s still young. 

CB definitely is the bigger need though. 

28 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

No doubt that CB is a need so it possibly could make sense to trade for a CB with a few years left on their deals. In the end, I wouldn't be a buyer at the trade deadline. This team isn't good enough to be sacrificing anything from the future for this year.

I disagree that they’d be sacrificing anything for the future. If you get 3-5 years of Cooks or Howard, that’s a pretty good deal for the present and future. 

23 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Howard has been very vocal about wanting a new contract, so, trading for him would also include trying to make him happy. I can’t say he’d be worth it. Especially mid season. Zimmer hasn’t exactly shown that he can get defenders to pick up his scheme quickly. 

Cool. Extend him and give him some BWW up front money, lower his cap hit for next season, and get a top flight CB for a few years. Howard will be better than Breeland almost immediately, and had a full off-season to get the rest down. 

While this team has decent luck with 3rd rounders, we still miss on a good share. We also have 20-some draft picks the pst couple of years. Adding 13 more likely wont provide a huge impact. 

I would maintain that Howard or Cooks are better investments. 

Has any player in the history of the NFL been traded more than Brandin Cooks?  If he were so valuable on the field or in the locker-room, why would he be traded so often?  While nothing is obvious with him, there must be something there that leads teams to making him expendable.

Also, say what you want about Thielen being on the wrong side of 30, at 28, Cooks has over 2000 more snaps than Thielen does in his career.  He may only be 28 in physical years, but he may be older than Thielen in football years.   

As far as I'm concerned, Cooks would bring nothing that we don't already have.

And honestly, overall, I can't see any trade possibilities on the horizon.  There isn't anyone on the team that is expendable that could bring anything in return.  Sheldon Richardson is mentioned, but he probably wouldn't bring much more in trade than Weatherly did, so there's no point in trading him, especially since he's on a 1-yr deal anyway.  I also don't see the point in trading for a CB, unless that one already has a history in the Zimmer system since it is so difficult to pick up.  

In short, expect to see the same team after the trade deadline as we see it now.

Chad Graff from the Athletic suggested a trade with the Dolphins, but for Noah Igbinoghene rather than Howard. Former first round pick that just hasn't been on the field or developed in Miami. That's a deal I could see happening, maybe for a 5th and a 6th since CJ Henderson just went for a TE and a 5th.

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I don't think that the current team is good enough for mortgaging the future to be considered as a way to increase the odds of success for the 2021 squad.

A 3rd or 5th round pick is not "mortgaging the future," in my opinion. Especially with the way Spielman has accumulated draft picks over his tenure. It's even less of a mortgage if you're getting guys who still have 2-3 years left on their current deals. I would not be in favor of trading a first or second round pick for a rental, but giving up a later pick for a guy who can help the team for multiple years (especially if you give up a day three pick) is good value. 

Picking up a solid DB or another weapon at WR would certainly increase the odds of success for this team. This team is better than their record, and is a likely playoff team when looking around the NFC. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

Has any player in the history of the NFL been traded more than Brandin Cooks?  If he were so valuable on the field or in the locker-room, why would he be traded so often?  While nothing is obvious with him, there must be something there that leads teams to making him expendable.

Also, say what you want about Thielen being on the wrong side of 30, at 28, Cooks has over 2000 more snaps than Thielen does in his career.  He may only be 28 in physical years, but he may be older than Thielen in football years.   

As far as I'm concerned, Cooks would bring nothing that we don't already have.

And honestly, overall, I can't see any trade possibilities on the horizon.  There isn't anyone on the team that is expendable that could bring anything in return.  Sheldon Richardson is mentioned, but he probably wouldn't bring much more in trade than Weatherly did, so there's no point in trading him, especially since he's on a 1-yr deal anyway.  I also don't see the point in trading for a CB, unless that one already has a history in the Zimmer system since it is so difficult to pick up.  

In short, expect to see the same team after the trade deadline as we see it now.

There's been no indication that Cooks has ever been a bad teammate or a guy you don't want in your locker room. New Orleans didn't want to pay him what he'd be worth on a 2nd contract, so they sent him to New England. Bellichek didn't want to pay him and was able to recoup a high pick for him when they traded him to the Rams. The Rams had a bunch of gawdy contracts and couldn't afford to keep him either (opting to pay Gurley and Goff...oof), so they sent him to Houston. Houston is a dumpster fire in need of a complete rebuild, so draft capital is how they'll get there. 

Adding a receiver of Cooks' caliber to the team absolutely brings something to the table. It also protects against an injury to JJ or Thielen. There is not a downside to giving Cousins another weapon to work with. It would also allow Thielen to do a lot of damage in the slot. Cooks has averaged over 14 yards a catch over his career. That's down this year, but he's playing with a terrible QB and still has 500 receiving yards so far. I suspect his YPC would take a nice bump with Kirk as his QB. 

Again, I wouldn't give up a 1st round pick for him, but if we could get him for a 3rd or the equivalent thereof, I don't see a downside.

46 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

There's been no indication that Cooks has ever been a bad teammate or a guy you don't want in your locker room. New Orleans didn't want to pay him what he'd be worth on a 2nd contract, so they sent him to New England. Bellichek didn't want to pay him and was able to recoup a high pick for him when they traded him to the Rams. The Rams had a bunch of gawdy contracts and couldn't afford to keep him either (opting to pay Gurley and Goff...oof), so they sent him to Houston. Houston is a dumpster fire in need of a complete rebuild, so draft capital is how they'll get there. 

Adding a receiver of Cooks' caliber to the team absolutely brings something to the table. It also protects against an injury to JJ or Thielen. There is not a downside to giving Cousins another weapon to work with. It would also allow Thielen to do a lot of damage in the slot. Cooks has averaged over 14 yards a catch over his career. That's down this year, but he's playing with a terrible QB and still has 500 receiving yards so far. I suspect his YPC would take a nice bump with Kirk as his QB. 

Again, I wouldn't give up a 1st round pick for him, but if we could get him for a 3rd or the equivalent thereof, I don't see a downside.

I’d argue Osborne has as much upside, if not more, going forward in this offense.