Week 08 2021 - GDT - Buccaneers (6-1) @ Saints (4-2)

Mid Iowa

I thought I'd start this one a bit early as there seems to be plenty to talk about.

In strolleth the GOAT, along with one hell of a cast. Let's face it, guys, Tampa is the team to beat this year. Aside from stomping on their own donks at the Rams in week 6, they've proven they always find a way to win. This team is pretty much the whole package, and I expect it to be quite the battle.

Our offense...

• We've got a line that hasn't had the opportunity to put together chemistry due to injuries causing a consistent shuffle.
  • Our RB situation is... I don't know, we've got one of the best in the league in Kamara, and then what? (please don't say Ingram). 
  • Our WR corps is basically a corpse. MT (even if he comes back) won't be up to speed. Calloway is our #1, Stills is showing why he bounces from team to team, TQ Smith (have we cut him yet?) is hot garbage, and I don't even know who our TE's are. Troutman...
  • I'm still high on Winston. He's getting there, and he's actually playing well considering everything I wrote above. He's going to have to act fast, really fast, or he'll be on his rear which will make him act stupid.

Defense.

• Can a brother get a pass rush, please? Against that Tampa line? I doubt it. We're going to have to put constant heat on Brady, get him dirty early and often, and hope that's enough to offset our anemic offense.
  • Adebo is proving to be a great draft pick. I'm continually impressed with him, and he compliments Lattimore really well. Lattimore better have his head in the game this week. We can't have any of the BS we saw from him last week or Brady will turn him into swiss cheese. 
    I don't know about your thoughts, but I've already seen a night & day difference in this secondary behind the new secondary coach, Kris Richard. Adios, Aaron Glenn. You're proving yourself with an 0-7 record in Detroit.
  • I can't figure out our safety situation. They're really good right up until they blow a coverage. Focus, Man!!
  • I really like our LB corps. DeMario Davis is a stud, and he IS the leader of this team right now.

Tampa has shown us that they are indeed human, so can we keep up? Can we play better than we did in Seattle? If our D plays like they did at the end of last week's game, I feel good. But we need our Offense to show up strong!!

54 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Our RB situation is... I don't know, we've got one of the best in the league in Kamara, and then what? (please don't say Ingram). 

I was really surprised when we let Murray go. Tony looks like a good guy to keep around but I thought it was a bit early to throw him into a RB2 role right away. We had Duke Johnson in for a workout, no signing. Same with Lamar Miller and Ito Smith.

59 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Our WR corps is basically a corpse. MT (even if he comes back) won't be up to speed. Calloway is our #1, Stills is showing why he bounces from team to team, TQ Smith (have we cut him yet?) is hot garbage

We should keep in mind that we knew this going into the season, we knew we were biting the bullet when Brees left and we didn’t go into full rebuild… if we wanted to stay competitive and re-sign some of our guys, that meant relying wholly on Michael Thomas this year rather than brining in a legit WR2 and that’s the way Loomis and Co went with it.

Previous Payton offenses have rarely relied on an elite receiver (maybe Graham as the exception) and usually the WR budget has been more evenly distributed… so this is new for us.

59 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

and I don't even know who our TE's are. Troutman...

We haven’t had a good TE since Watson.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:
  • I'm still high on Winston. He's getting there, and he's actually playing well considering everything I wrote above.

Same. I wanted/expected to see 6 to 10 wins this year, and I said that before I knew Thomas was out to start the year, so I’m really impressed with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:
  • Can a brother get a pass rush, please? Against that Tampa line? I doubt it. We're going to have to put constant heat on Brady, get him dirty early and often, and hope that's enough to offset our anemic offense.

Agreed. Davenport always looks like he’s causing issues for the offense. He needs to start using his freakish nature and turn those issues into actual big plays.

• Adebo is proving to be a great draft pick. I'm continually impressed with him, and he compliments Lattimore really well. Lattimore better have his head in the game this week. We can't have any of the BS we saw from him last week or Brady will turn him into swiss cheese.

Adebo is legit and yeah even though Lattimore and the whole defense pretty much locked down after the long score Lattimore lost the mental battle, he looked foolish and easily tilted.  

I don't know about your thoughts, but I've already seen a night & day difference in this secondary behind the new secondary coach, Kris Richard. Adios, Aaron Glenn. You're proving yourself with an 0-7 record in Detroit.

yep. lots of us have wondered for years.

• I can't figure out our safety situation. They're really good right up until they blow a coverage. Focus, Man!!

Marcus Williams is a huge liability when the ball is in someone’s hands, he’s a top shelf ball hawk when the ball is in the air. Jenkins and Heath are just here for the veteran presence, and PJ Williams is always going to be inconsistent.

• I really like our LB corps. DeMario Davis is a stud, and he IS the leader of this team right now.

Seattle offensive players are dressing up as Demario Davis for Halloween this year, cause it’s the scariest thing they could think of.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

Taysom Hill ruled out for Sunday, still shaking off a concussion. Must have been a good one, this is 3 weeks of inactivity, and he's still not practicing.

Deonte Harris was listed as questionable. We could really use him back.

David Onyemata IS BACK!!!! This, coupled with Davenport, could be YUGE!

19 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Taysom Hill ruled out for Sunday, still shaking off a concussion. Must have been a good one, this is 3 weeks of inactivity, and he's still not practicing.

Deonte Harris was listed as questionable. We could really use him back.

David Onyemata IS BACK!!!! This, coupled with Davenport, could be YUGE!

The Taysom Hill situation is troubling, yes, but it should mean loosen the reigns on Jameis. Which could be a good thing since, I'd imagine, Jameis has something to prove agianst his old club.

• Like 1

Silver lining: Jameis didn’t play himself out of a contract with us next year 

Not silver lining: this totally sucks 

I had us at 6 to 10 years this year, we are still in line for that but any aspirations greater than that are probably out the window 

7 minutes ago, Dome said:

Silver lining: Jameis didn’t play himself out of a contract with us next year 

Not silver lining: this totally sucks 

I had us at 6 to 10 years this year, we are still in line for that but any aspirations greater than that are probably out the window 

I had thought .500ish, I still think that, our defense is good enough for that.