49ers DT Javon Kinlaw out for season

RaidersAreOne

16 minutes ago, John232 said:

Soo “They think they solved the problem”…so is his knee not going to be continually jacked up?

I'm not a doctor, but I'm convinced that nobody on our medical staff is either. So to me it's chronic until it's not. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, John232 said:

Soo “They think they solved the problem”…so is his knee not going to be continually jacked up?

I mean, at this point it doesn’t matter. Whatever added value you hoped for taking him with an early pick is mostly cooked. If he’s good after the surgery, then you are looking at making a really nasty decision about keeping a player with such a poor injury history after 3 complicated seasons. It’s not Solomon Thomas bad. Nor Reuben Foster bad. But it’s bad. 

• Like 6

As much as I'm tired of him saying it, @Forge is right. The Kinlaw pick is looking more and more egregious by the day. And this is coming from someone who liked Kinlaw and knew he would need a year or two to develop. 

The fact that both Lamb and Wirfs are really looking like difference makers for their respective teams is just really hard to escape at this point. Even netting the extra pick and turning it into the trade that netted us Ayuik has been a mixed bag thus far.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

As much as I'm tired of him saying it, @Forge is right. The Kinlaw pick is looking more and more egregious by the day. And this is coming from someone who liked Kinlaw and knew he would need a year or two to develop. 

The fact that both Lamb and Wirfs are really looking like difference makers for their respective teams is just really hard to escape at this point. Even netting the extra pick and turning it into the trade that netted us Ayuik has been a mixed bag thus far.

Imagine if we drafted Wirfs. We wouldn't have drafted Banks this year. The effect of one bad pick might have resulted another bad pick (potentially, Banks still can be decent ). 

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Meanwhile...

Would have been great to have the best LT and the best RT in the league on the same team

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

The fact that both Lamb and Wirfs are really looking like difference makers for their respective teams is just really hard to escape at this point. Even netting the extra pick and turning it into the trade that netted us Ayuik has been a mixed bag thus far

I have wondered what our WR board really looked like that year. Shame we will never really know what they thought of Jefferson, Ruggs, juedy, lamb, reagor, and aiyuk 

You'd think Jefferson would have been high on Kyle's list. He is built pretty similar to Dante Pettis, he's way stronger than Pettis though, but both guys are 6'1 with long arms and legs and run very deceptive routes with their phenomenal body control. Stylistically, they probably thought they were getting Justin Jefferson when they drafted Pettis. So Jefferson would have to have been high on their board you'd think. He was taken before we got to our second first rounder, which makes our trade up make a lot more sense. It's possible that Aiyuk was the last player of a tier of WRs and that's why they didn't want to chance it. Instead, Kyle said at the draft press conference that aiyuk was the highest rated WR in the class or whatever. I am wondering how much that was influenced by the noise of people really wanting CeeDee at 13 and Kyle was basically trying to get people behind the pick without being like "yeah CeeDee is better but there were a lot of WRs we liked but the drop off of defensive lineman after kinlaw was massive so we wanted to maximize value" 

The bold is a perfectly logical and coherent draft strategy and it makes perfect sense to pass on drafting a WR at 13 given that set of circumstances 

If Kinlaw didn't have a knew problem, would he have gone top5 in the draft that year? His physical traits are off the charts and he honestly has one of the highest ceilings of any DT I can remember

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Imagine if we drafted Wirfs. We wouldn't have drafted Banks this year. The effect of one bad pick might have resulted another bad pick (potentially, Banks still can be decent ). 

The thing for me is if you draft Wirfs do we plug him straight into LT and not make the Trent Williams trade??

I think he can definitely play LT now. Wasn't so sure leading up to the draft. But what the Wirfs pick does for me is allow Brunskill to be a factor@LT. I don't care what anyone says including Shanny, Brunskill looked his best for us@LT in 2019 when Staley was injured. The GB game when he took over for Skule and played really well. You draft Wirfs, play him in@RG and let Brunskill play LT and I think that's arguably a better line than our current one. Brunskill is no Trent Williams by any stretch but I think he'd be plenty serviceable. And adding Wirfs absolutely strengthens our interior and doesn't leave RG as the massive hole it is now. And with no Williams on the books maybe you have money to shore up another area....say CB. 

But including the trade for Williams, there's no question Wirfs@RG helps this offense out tremendously. Makes you wanna cry just thinking about the possibility of this O-Line with a guy like Wirfs thrown in.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

The thing for me is if you draft Wirfs do we plug him straight into LT and not make the Trent Williams trade??

I think he can definitely play LT now. Wasn't so sure leading up to the draft. But what the Wirfs pick does for me is allow Brunskill to be a factor@LT. I don't care what anyone says including Shanny, Brunskill looked his best for us@LT for us in 2019 when Staley was injured. The GB game when he took over for Skule and played really well. You draft Wirfs, play him in@RG and let Brunskill play LT and I think that's arguably a better line than our current one. Brunskill is no Trent Williams by any stretch but I think he'd be plenty serviceable. And adding Wirfs absolutely strengthens our interior and doesn't leave RG as the massive hole it is now. And with no Williams on the books maybe you have money to shore up another area....say CB. 

But including the trade for Williams, there's no question Wirfs@RG helps this offense out tremendously. Makes you wanna cry just thinking about the possibility of this O-Line with a guy like Wirfs thrown in.

I agree or we could have put Wirfs at RT and traded McGlinchey. I want to say that was the off-season where we supposedly had offers for him. Don’t know what it was draft capital wise, but I would have jumped on it. 20/20 now though. Then we could have drafted Moore still plugged him at RT and moved Wirfs to LT after “losing” Williams more than likely to KC 🤔