Mid Season: State of the Nation

big_palooka

Clean house?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Raiders look to replace Jack Del Rio?

• Yes
    • No

At the halfway point of the season, the Raiders are 3-5 and staring down a brutal second half schedule. This is clearly not the season this team had in mind. They were hyped as a sexy Superbowl pick in some circles. At worst, a team capable of making a playoff run and competing for a division title on the heals of one of the league's best offenses. 

What we've seen is a train that's gone off the tracks and a lot of blame to go around:

Jack Del Rio - Hand picked by Mark Davis in 2015, he got the team to good. But he's showing his reach trying to make them great. He's been quick to deflect blame this season as expectations are not being met. He's a defensive coach who hasn't been able to get much of anything out of his defense since taking over. Through in some bad hiring decisions (Norton Jr. and promoting Downing) and you have to believe his seat is getting hot.

Ken Norton Jr. - Since 2015, he's shown a severe lack of growth as a DC. He's not getting the most out of his players or scheming to put them in position to win. The pass rush has never taken off, despite the addition of Bruce Irvin to compliment Mack. The secondary continues to struggle and currently has gone 8 games without an INT. 

Todd Downing - He's become public enemy #1 in Raider Nation. The wunderkind that was suppose to elevate an already talented offense to new heights has sunk it. Every facet of the offense is a mess from the basic route concepts to the overly conservative calling to the seemingly lack of urgency. Even going no huddle the tempo seems slow and lacking any sense of identity.

Derek Carr - Tied to Downing's hip, he's certainly not looking like a $125 million franchise QB. His poise has been noticeably shaken. He's missing throws and be it play call/design or on his own accord, he's checking down at an absolutely absurd rate. He doesn't look the same guy who was having fun last season. He looks overrated right now comparing to last season.

Reggie McKenzie - He's found some talent in this rebuild, but he's also made a lot of questionable calls. There is a lack of depth on the defensive side of the ball. The LB's and Secondary are noticeable. He's spent a lot of money and resources in the secondary and it still has failed to pan out. Bring Marshawn Lynch out of retirement has been a mistake. He's been a sideshow to this point. With a lot of RB talent in the draft, signing a guy who's best football is way behind him doesn't seem to have worked out. He's also had a number of bad picks early now. Ward and Calhoun certainly look like busts. Hayden and Watson were busts and off the team. Walford hasn't lived up to his expectations yet.

So what's the solution and where can the team go from here? A year after being 12-4, was that an anomaly and it's time to blow up the staff? What actions are you taking to get this team over the hump?

I'm not on the run Reggie out of Oakland  team yet. We all know that the draft is a crapshoot and even successful teams like the Packers, Patriots and Seahawks all miss from time to time. The talent on the team isn't the issue here, much like the Rams the raiders have a lot of talent they just need a coach to bring it together.

The coaches, there needs to be some big changes in the offseason at minimum JDR needs to hire a coach to come in on offense to hold downing's hand, a guy like Norv Turner would be great. The defense has improved if I'm honest I think a lot can be attributed to Pagano, I think the defense will continue to get better once Obi and Conley come back. Do I think JDR needs to go? Sure but who is that guy to replace him? Who is that Sean McVay type? Should the Raiders just ride this thing out to vegas? There are no easy answers unfortunately but changes are a comin'.

Derek Carr...the $125 million man. What is it? His psyche damaged after breaking a leg and fracturing his back? Is he just trying to recreate his college offense with short passes? How much say does he have in the offense? I mean if I'm his coach and he's coming to me telling me that we got to keep throwing short passes because we might break one I'm telling him to sit his $125 million dollar butt down before I make change. Carr's got talent but if he wants to be here in 4 years he'd better make plays, cause if he doesn't he could get the Alex Smith treatment in a heartbeat.

57 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I'm not on the run Reggie out of Oakland  team yet. We all know that the draft is a crapshoot and even successful teams like the Packers, Patriots and Seahawks all miss from time to time. The talent on the team isn't the issue here, much like the Rams the raiders have a lot of talent they just need a coach to bring it together.

The coaches, there needs to be some big changes in the offseason at minimum JDR needs to hire a coach to come in on offense to hold downing's hand, a guy like Norv Turner would be great. The defense has improved if I'm honest I think a lot can be attributed to Pagano, I think the defense will continue to get better once Obi and Conley come back. Do I think JDR needs to go? Sure but who is that guy to replace him? Who is that Sean McVay type? Should the Raiders just ride this thing out to vegas? There are no easy answers unfortunately but changes are a comin'.

Derek Carr...the $125 million man. What is it? His psyche damaged after breaking a leg and fracturing his back? Is he just trying to recreate his college offense with short passes? How much say does he have in the offense? I mean if I'm his coach and he's coming to me telling me that we got to keep throwing short passes because we might break one I'm telling him to sit his $125 million dollar butt down before I make change. Carr's got talent but if he wants to be here in 4 years he'd better make plays, cause if he doesn't he could get the Alex Smith treatment in a heartbeat.

Wish I could put Deshaun Watson’s calmness in The pocket into Carr. 

1 hour ago, SimonGruber said:

Wish I could put Deshaun Watson’s calmness in The pocket into Carr. 

Incredibly happy for Watson. He carried Clemson... took them to another level. He competed with heart in the biggest games on the biggest stage. People slept on him. He's an incredible player and person. Truly happy for that kid.

22 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

An overreaction maybe, but I think all of the coaches need to go. Although I think RM has done the impossible turning this franchise around, I think his seat could be getting a little warm.

Too soon for Reggie. I think he deserves a chance to find his own coach first. Allen was a stopgap because nobody respectable would take that impossible job. Del Rio was picked by Davis and he's brought them back to respectable status. It's time to find a coach to get them over the hump. 

Question is....will Mark Davis, who values loyalty, let Del Rio go for the better of the team. Fact is, the talent base is here and a respectable coach would be excited to get their hands on it. 

JDR is a Rah Rah Guy. Might work for a year or two then it’s done. Yesterday he said in response to why they didn’t take shots  down field. “ No one told him not too” Uh you’re standing right next to him. Your the freakin head coach. He’ll keep laying blame on his assistants. He was supposed to be a defensive minded coach, Defensive has been horrible since he arrived.Yes Todd Downing is pathetic. You hired him. Why on earth would we sign him to a 4 year extension and you  know Mark is too cheap to eat it. You gotta do it. Too much talent on O. Wasting Carr’s good years. Get a sharp offensive minded coach in herr.

35 minutes ago, Mr Bob Dobalina said:

JDR is a Rah Rah Guy. Might work for a year or two then it’s done. Yesterday he said in response to why they didn’t take shots  down field. “ No one told him not too” Uh you’re standing right next to him. Your the freakin head coach. He’ll keep laying blame on his assistants. He was supposed to be a defensive minded coach, Defensive has been horrible since he arrived.Yes Todd Downing is pathetic. You hired him. Why on earth would we sign him to a 4 year extension and you  know Mark is too cheap to eat it. You gotta do it. Too much talent on O. Wasting Carr’s good years. Get a sharp offensive minded coach in herr.

Wow. Where have you been?

40 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Is it beyond your imagination that he could feel good one day and bad the next when it comes to a back injury?

Even before Carr got hurt, he was playing awful football against Was and Denver.

Bottom line is, the guy has regressed a bit or he's not quite as good as we thought after last year. He and Todd Downing are super close and all off-season we heard how Carr was going to be taking more of a command/ownership of the offense. And low and behold, it looks like we are running Carr's Fresno ST offense with all the five wide BS and short throws.  The guy is uncomfortable on any throw that requires him to hold the ball for more than two seconds. You look at guys like Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson. They are calm, poised and courageous in the pocket with bodies around them. Carr isn't and probably will never be that guy and our OC catering to those limitations have hurt our offense as a whole.

As far as JDR goes, he's fulfilled his purpose here. He's gotten us out the cellar (although there's a strong chance we finish last in division this year). We are once again a somewhat respectable team.

He was never going to be that coach to take us to the next level. Doesn't have the X and O's to be great. Defenses are too basic and simplistic. Doesn't hire great staff. 

I would love it if this were his last year, but knowing who our owner is, and his financial situation I doubt we get rid of JDR. He will most likely stay and be forced to make changes to his staff, which will probably only be promoting Pagano to DC which is still uninspiring.

Archived