1. 1. Player/Coach of the Game Week 8?

• Mike White
    • Michael Carter (RB)
    • Elijah Moore
    • Shaq Lawson
    • C.J. Mosley
    • LaFleur
    • Saleh

Finally watched the game today, and I was all ready to vote White but holy crap was Carter the biggest factor in this game. He churned out some serious YAC.

Not to take away from White, he had the best game we've seen from a QB in years, but I think it came from him being the first QB we've had in a while who can make the quick read and is willing to throw the short pass/checkdown. Maybe LaFleur has been calling these quick hits all season and Wilson's just been too stubborn? Who knows, but I want more of it; very McDaniels-esque.

5 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Finally watched the game today, and I was all ready to vote White but holy crap was Carter the biggest factor in this game. He churned out some serious YAC.

Not to take away from White, he had the best game we've seen from a QB in years, but I think it came from him being the first QB we've had in a while who can make the quick read and is willing to throw the short pass/checkdown. Maybe LaFleur has been calling these quick hits all season and Wilson's just been too stubborn? Who knows, but I want more of it; very McDaniels-esque.

Saleh seemed to claim a lot of the quick dump offs were actually shot plays where the bengals took Away the shot and the decisive throws to the check downs let us chew them up anyway 

12 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Maybe LaFleur has been calling these quick hits all season and Wilson's just been too stubborn?

Could be.  The question I have is why draft a down field, vertical passer when you want to run a horizontal O?  They could have traded down a bit and drafted Mac.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Could be.  The question I have is why draft a down field, vertical passer when you want to run a horizontal O?  They could have traded down a bit and drafted Mac.

To create rhythm. Get your QB in a groove, the defense on the heels, and then let it fly when you have the defense playing the game to your pace.

8 hours ago, KBS756 said:

Saleh seemed to claim a lot of the quick dump offs were actually shot plays where the bengals took Away the shot and the decisive throws to the check downs let us chew them up anyway 

This makes a lot of sense then. Zach's likely trying to force the big play because he has the tools to do it, while White is fine with checking down when it's not there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

To create rhythm. Get your QB in a groove, the defense on the heels, and then let it fly when you have the defense playing the game to your pace.

Sounds reasonable.  I just hope Wilson can learn to play the short game.  This time off should really help him in the long run.

28 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

If Wilson is ignoring check downs because he “wants” the big play, then he shouldn’t be playing. When he comes back he needs to be able to identify and hit the open read.

Rodgers had the same issue just a few seasons ago. Gunslingers are going to just do that, and sometimes it takes time to break them out of that mindset.

Zach is young and hopefully he'll learn.

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

If Wilson is ignoring check downs because he “wants” the big play, then he shouldn’t be playing. When he comes back he needs to be able to identify and hit the open read.

I don't think he is ignoring the short pass or check down, I think he just looks deep first and then runs out of time.  The game is still too fast for him, add in the beating he took the first couple of games and his internal clock in the pocket is too quick.  Once he realizes he has more time than he thinks he has, he will be able to go through his progressions quicker and make more decisive throws. That is all part of the maturation process.

MIKE WHITE is in the HOF!!!!!!!

The HOF put his jersey and game ball on display this week. In his first NFL start he completed 37 passes which is the most ever in a start in NFL history. Then you add he is the second person (Cam Newton) to pass for more than 400 yards in his first start. 

This kid has talent because you just don't put up numbers like this against a top 10 D in the league and not be at least average. This guy might be our Kurt Warner.