Thoughts and Observations: Saints

WindyCity

Defense

-The play calling of the Saints is elite. They are very creative and they crush you with screens and then build off of that. The plays set up other plays and make it very difficult for a defense to settle in and get into a rhythm. It does not surprise in the 2nd quarter that the Bears were out of wack and struggled to stop the run and slow down the Saints. After halftime they made some nice adjustments and were able to slow down the Saints.

-Akiem Hicks continues to be a dominant force and he made a couple plays that really changed the game for the Saints offense. His abuse of Kelemete at RG really moved the Saints off the long developing pass plays, except at the end of the game, and his hit on Mark Ingram that allowed Bullard to strip the ball allowed the Bears to have some life in the game. I still think he is playing way too many snaps for a guy his size.

-Another strong game from Jonathan Bullard. He was in the backfield more regularly and had a number of nice reps in the run game. If Bullard can continue to take steps this DL could be the best 3-4 line in the league. The leg explosion is back, which makes me think that the first games of the season were hampered by the glute injury more than anything else. The pass rush will come with more reps, but right now other DLmen are being too productive.

-Goldman had another good game.

-Leonard Floyd is so close. I thought he was held on multiple plays, he was close to sacks on multiple plays, and I felt that a 1st round OT in Ryan Ramcyzk struggled for a great deal with Floyd in the 2nd half. The fact that he was even running with Kamara was impressive, even though the pass was completed. The play where he grabbed Brees by the throwing hand was a nice step for Floyd, which is effecting the pass without sacking the QB.

-Pernell McPhee is making me eat some crow. The Kamara TD sweep was ugly, but other than that I think he is playing solid football and get a little pressure. McPhee cannot be relied on to be a long term starter, but he has value with the way that he is playing. I do not think that it is a coincidence that Floyd has taken a pretty big step forward with McPhee starting to bring something on the other side.

-Christian Jones is going to be really hard to get off the field. His tackling has been incredibly physical and consistent. He is reading plays faster and finally letting that elite athletic ability shine through.

-Rough day for Bryce Callahan.

-Kyle Fuller and Eddie Jackson, Eddie especially, need to make the play on the ball at the end of the game. It was right there and they really did blow it. Fuller had a decent game, but the number of screens they ran at him really tested his physicality. Even on plays where he gave up a completion he was in position to make a play and had not "blown" the coverage. The Bears should engage him over the bye week about an extension.

-I thought Adrian Amos had a mediocre first half, outside of a couple of tackles, but really turned it on in the 2nd half being involved in a huge turnover. He looked confused, like a lot of people on defense, early in the game, but got sorted out at half time.

-Danny Trevathan continues to be really good. Great signing for Pace.

Offense

-I appreciate that they were more aggressive on offense, they were really forced into it, but the play calling continues to be at finger painting level. The Saints offense working the screen game and then progressing from that to attacking the middle of the field, to the routes Kamara was running, really exposed just how un-inventive the Bears offense is. Continuing to run on 2nd and long, few screens, few quick hitting passes, and really no deception in the entire game plan. I like that we threw the ball more, but can we please scheme some advantages or better situations?

-Outside of being totally unable to catch the ball Jordan Howard was again very good. He continues to create when running into loaded boxes and all our run blitzes. His pass protection has been decent and really he is going to produce 1000 yards with almost no passing threat each week.

-Stop handing the ball to Tarik Cohen in the backfield. He is a slot WR who can line up in the backfield from time to time. Handing the ball to him on zone or power plays is a waste of times, especially when they are run blitzing every down. Crazy idea fake the run and throw the ball to him going the opposite direction on a jet sweep.

-Adam Shaheen is lost. He got bullied by a S on the goal line and then when Miller got hurt Daniel Brown was running routes before he was. It is fair to be concerned about how far away he clearly is from contributing.

-Dion Sims isn't good.

-Zach Miller is a hell of a player and by all accounts a great guy. I really hope that he maintains normal function of his leg. That was a catch as well, so screw Robiron and Cheffers.

-Bobbie Massie, as the Bears pass more, is moving himself back on to the must replace list. He struggled all day with what the Saints were bringing.

-Chuck Leno can stop the pre snap penalties anytime. He has already passed his total from last season. His play has been okay, not what you would have hoped after the extension, but he is killing them with penalties.

-Kyle Long was missed in the 2nd half. I really wish the Bears could afford to shut him down and let him get right, but they cannot with Trubisky playing.

-Tom Compton gave them some professional reps. He struggled more as the game went on, but he was okay.

-Bradley Sowell was not very good.

-Cody Whitehair needs to be healthy, even if Grasu can play, there is a huge drop off between him and anyone who could replace him.

-Josh Sitton had a good day and moving to C mid game is not easy, but he is a pro.

-Anytime you are reflecting on how 2 backup OLmen are playing you know that you are in serious trouble. They functioned better than you would have thought if I had told you pre game that 2 backups would play in the Superdome.

-Good for Tre McBride. He got open, caught the ball, and made plays after the catch. He was open again at the end of the game, but Trubisky sailed the throw. There might be something there. That being said Vaccaro killed him multiple times in the run game.

-Tanner Gentry is invisible and probably loses his job to Inman. It was fun while it lasted. His stutter out that was batted away was an all time bad route.

-Thank you for putting Kendall Wright on the field a little, he continues to make catches on 3rd down.

-I think there was a lot to grow on in this game from Trubisky

1. Stayed poised in the Superdome
2. Went to the correct checkdown multiple times
3. Made some nice throws downfield
4. The rushing was a real weapon

-There were some things that were not great

1. Seemed to rush throws and was inaccurate
2. Forced a couple passes that probably should not have been thrown
3 Blitz recognition

Agree with most of this:

• Floyd I think is very close to getting some sacks his way I was impressed with Brees's footwork and escape ability, his ability to cover a RB was very impressive considering his size
  • Hicks/Goldman are monsters nothing to be said
  • Amos was terrible in the first half but he really showed up in the second 
  • Fuller had a bit of a downish game and EJack and him just made a terrible play on the ball
  • Oline never gave Mitch a clean pocket and the playing is always RRP
    • Mitch had a very up and down game missed some WRs but really does not seem to implode like a Kizer and throw multiple picks, I'm glad he had a ton of in game experience and hopefully he can continue to grow and learn in this offense

54 minutes ago, G08 said:

Trubisky looks nothing like the kid he was in college, let alone the pre-season (yes, I'm aware the NFL is a much tougher league, but still... we have John Fox'd his *** into being a passive QB).

I just think that’s how Trubisky is. He just want to do what is right and earn his way with out rocking the boat. Basically getting everyone’s respect first. 

Just now, blkwdw13 said:

I just think that’s how Trubisky is. He just want to do what is right and earn his way with out rocking the boat. Basically getting everyone’s respect first. 

I can respect that, but I don't want it to tarnish him as a QB.

I'm just impatient... this is really more about next season than this season. Think Jared Goff, right?

Just now, G08 said:

I can respect that, but I don't want it to tarnish him as a QB.

I'm just impatient... this is really more about next season than this season. Think Jared Goff, right?

That’s why I believe in getting rid of Fox sooner rather than later, but others want to wait out the season. Just differing opinions. 

I don't know what the hell I want anymore.

I think the only way to keep Fangio is to make him HC, or extend Fox and Fangio. I don't see the latter happening.

Maybe see if the new HC wants to promote Ed Donatell to DC? Or bring in his own guy.

Just freaking sucks all around; our defense starts hitting their stride and we may have to blow the whole thing up. Very, very Bears-y.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Trubisky looks nothing like the kid he was in college, let alone the pre-season (yes, I'm aware the NFL is a much tougher league, but still... we have John Fox'd his *** into being a passive QB).

I think you are being way too hard on Mitch. He doesn't have a ton of weapons around him and the coaching staff is mandating he becomes a game manager. I believe even Loggins said during the Baltimore game he allowed Mitch to make a play in OT because they had no option, and he delivered a strike to Wright.

I think the most concerning thing about Mitch is his accuracy when he gets opportunities. I would like that to be cleaned up.

Just now, Nads786 said:

I think you are being way too hard on Mitch. He doesn't have a ton of weapons around him and the coaching staff is mandating he becomes a game manager. I believe even Loggins said during the Baltimore game he allowed Mitch to make a play in OT because they had no option, and he delivered a strike to Wright.

I think the most concerning thing about Mitch is his accuracy when he gets opportunities. I would like that to be cleaned up.

I probably am... I just wish I saw his talents translate more quickly. Is it his fault, the coaching staff's fault? I don't know... my guess is the latter.

He has been awful inaccurate at times, and that is something I really am going to pin on him.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

I probably am... I just wish I saw his talents translate more quickly. Is it his fault, the coaching staff's fault? I don't know... my guess is the latter.

He has been awful inaccurate at times, and that is something I really am going to pin on him.

Agreed the inaccuracy is on him for sure. He doesn't have a clean pocket either to throw. If you watch some of the plays the Texans are doing multiple motions none of that works for the Bears, I believe this is part Loggins, and part Oline. I don't see any easy throws for him either.

I actually expect him to get much better in the last 2-3 games when things click. 

This is the first game that we saw a couple of passes that were poorly thrown.

I think that one of the issues is that he is throwing into tight windows with little room for error and that causes you to try to hard.

This is a natural progression of things. We will see more inaccuracy until the Bears can generate some easy throws and get him in a rhythm.

16 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This is the first game that we saw a couple of passes that were poorly thrown.

I think that one of the issues is that he is throwing into tight windows with little room for error and that causes you to try to hard.

This is a natural progression of things. We will see more inaccuracy until the Bears can generate some easy throws and get him in a rhythm.

Agreed with this.  It's difficult to consistently make accurate passes when you have poor targets to throw to and your offensive line isn't giving you much help in terms of protection.

As I've said already, aside from the obvious weakness at WR this o-line has regressed a lot from last year ever since Magazu was replaced by Washburn.  Now there's rumblings that teams are calling Bears about Sitton before the trade deadline.  For Mitch's sake I hope they don't trade him as he's currently the best o-lineman the Bears have.

Archived