Broncos trade Von Miller to Rams

RaidersAreOne

A lot to unpack here. I'll share my thoughts before going through the thread so forgive me if I make points some or all of you have already. 

One, purely from a fan perspective, I hate this. Von is an all-time great Bronco, I would argue a Mt. Rushmore Bronco (along with Elway, TD and Peyton, the other three players without whom we don't win our Super Bowls) and watching him play is part of what makes football fun. However, in that vain, I'm happy for Von - he goes to a serious contender with whom he will make an instant impact. 

But two, from a football perspective, a long-term strategic view, this makes a lot of sense and I have to applaud George Paton. Von was not going to be resigned here in all likelihood and to get a pair of day two picks cannot be considered anything other than a big win for us. 

For one, getting two picks rather than just (maybe) one compensatory one is big for us. The earliest the compensatory pick could be would be #97 and with this we will get what will likely be #60-64 overall and #92-96 overall. Two, this gives us potentially more ammo for a trade for Russ or Aaron. Say we trade two firsts, a second and a third, at least this year we would still have a late second and late third to add some depth pieces. It also potentially gives us more ammo for a trade up in the first round. It also, of course, gives us two more potential players who could make impacts in week one 2022. 

Even bigger picture than that, it pretty much puts the nail in the collective coffin of this coaching staff. Paton gave Vic & Co. all the tools he could conceivably give them - used premium picks on defense and instant-impact offense rather than a developmental QB, signed several DBs and retained Von to start the year. The returns have been horrific. Even with the win yesterday, this team is going nowhere other than maybe a top-10 pick. We win maybe one or two more games this season and the staff is kicked out the door in January.

Finally, I did hear from my beat reporter friend that this move was signed off on by Elway and Ellis. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Orangecrush151 said:

Broncos are paying 9m of his remaining 9.7m salary that sucks tho

No because it's all already accounted for this year. It's not like it's going to keep us from making any more moves if we wanted to. I don't think we were going to trade for someone today or tomorrow or sign a street FA who would represent any portion of that $9m; it won't prevent us from doing anything. All that us eating the rest of the contract did was allow the trade to take place since the Rams are already up against their cap and we wouldn't have gotten the two picks in exchange if we didn't agree to just eat the salary. He was coming off the books anyway come March so it doesn't affect the cap one bit next year. 

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

This is......sad. I remember when we drafted him I was still a SOPH in college. Now hes not a Bronco anymore 🥺 This feels a lot like when Champ went to New Orleans.

The compensation is good, but still feel like the Broncos could have held onto him for another year or two becasue he was still productive. 

Now, who the hell is leading the lockerroom? Justin Simmons?

Von was never the emotional, intellectual leader type a la Peyton or Ware. Von is a great locker room guy and his play and his professionalism are universally respected but he was not the "leader" in the mold of the aforementioned two. Simmons is a leader, Risner is a leader, Teddy is a leader. We're fine there for the second half of the year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDY10 said:

Awesome trade for both teams here. Hope you guys make good use of those picks and I hope Von can stay healthy and be a contributor. Miller with Floyd and AD could be fun to watch.

I know Von had a freak injury earlier in the year, how’s he been since? Are people wrong to say he doesn’t have much left in the Tank?

It was a minor tweak, he would have played yesterday but the trade had been in the works for a few days so he was held out as a precaution. He will be fine and will start on Sunday against Tennessee for you guys. He still has plenty left in the tank and now that he's only front-7 player opposing defenses have to worry about I would be shocked if he does anything other than wreck total havoc for you guys. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

A lot to unpack here. I'll share my thoughts before going through the thread so forgive me if I make points some or all of you have already. 

One, purely from a fan perspective, I hate this. Von is an all-time great Bronco, I would argue a Mt. Rushmore Bronco (along with Elway, TD and Peyton, the other three players without whom we don't win our Super Bowls) and watching him play is part of what makes football fun. However, in that vain, I'm happy for Von - he goes to a serious contender with whom he will make an instant impact. 

But two, from a football perspective, a long-term strategic view, this makes a lot of sense and I have to applaud George Paton. Von was not going to be resigned here in all likelihood and to get a pair of day two picks cannot be considered anything other than a big win for us. 

For one, getting two picks rather than just (maybe) one compensatory one is big for us. The earliest the compensatory pick could be would be #97 and with this we will get what will likely be #60-64 overall and #92-96 overall. Two, this gives us potentially more ammo for a trade for Russ or Aaron. Say we trade two firsts, a second and a third, at least this year we would still have a late second and late third to add some depth pieces. It also potentially gives us more ammo for a trade up in the first round. It also, of course, gives us two more potential players who could make impacts in week one 2022. 

Even bigger picture than that, it pretty much puts the nail in the collective coffin of this coaching staff. Paton gave Vic & Co. all the tools he could conceivably give them - used premium picks on defense and instant-impact offense rather than a developmental QB, signed several DBs and retained Von to start the year. The returns have been horrific. Even with the win yesterday, this team is going nowhere other than maybe a top-10 pick. We win maybe one or two more games this season and the staff is kicked out the door in January.

Finally, I did hear from my beat reporter friend that this move was signed off on by Elway and Ellis. 

Pretty much exactly how I feel. Nailed it Dan. Only minor addition here- it sounds like because Von was a vested vet with 10+ years of service, we wouldn't have gotten anything more than a 5th round compensatory pick. It's impossible to argue the value Paton got in this deal. 

More important, this signals the end of the Fangio mess. I don't know that any coach will be fired during the season, but it's certainly possible if things get worse.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Pretty much exactly how I feel. Nailed it Dan. Only minor addition here- it sounds like because Von was a vested vet with 10+ years of service, we wouldn't have gotten anything more than a 5th round compensatory pick. It's impossible to argue the value Paton got in this deal. 

More important, this signals the end of the Fangio mess. I don't know that any coach will be fired during the season, but it's certainly possible if things get worse.

You're correct, I totally forgot about the vested veteran rules as pertains to compensatory draft picks. 

I don't think any of the coaches get fired in-season absent a scandal. By about this time in Vance's second year we knew he was a dead man walking but Elway wasn't going to can him because he knew it wouldn't do anything; and I know a decision to fire Vic (especially) but any other coach would have to be signed off on by Elway and Ellis and I don't think Paton can make a case (again, absent a scandal) that canning Vic in the next month buys us anything long-term. I suppose there's a chance they could fire Shurmur - who is an unlikeable as he is incompetent -  and let Shula call plays for the December games could happen if we lose four straight, which is very possible. 

I'm happy I was rooting for rams and Stafford to come out of the NFC and I always wanted to see von an Aaron Donald on the line.

The return was also great a second and third round pick compared to what most thought he'd fetch. 

What sucks as a fan is not continuing that succesd from Superbowl 50 we all look back at those pics and thought there would be many more with Von thought he'd be clutch in the post season etc. unfortunately, the front office was dreadful since Superbowl 50 but thanks for the memories Von.

Echo all of your thoughts. Such a sad day, but makes total sense.

Just hope the Rams can find a way to get Von in 3rd and long, something we failed to do.

And with the 1v1s he will get because of Donald? Oof. Can't wait to watch.

The Rams got an extra fan for 2021 today.

Thanks for the memories, Von. Look forward to you donning the orange and blue for your HOF induction.

@AnAngryAmericannailed this re: Vic - I'd hedge my bets he didn't even know this was going down, and/or he had no say whatsoever.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

...from a football perspective, a long-term strategic view, this makes a lot of sense and I have to applaud George Paton.

Agreed 100%. Big changes are in motion. It's exciting, yet still mostly unknown what this team will look like next year.

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I can appreciate that Paton had no interest in pretending this team could go anywhere. Perfect time for a trade, after one of the worst wins I’ve ever seen.

This is SUCH a change from the Elway / Ellis FO days.   I'm still grateful for all Elway did as GM - but his refusal to give up on win-now for current years in 2017-20 was so misguided (maybe it's all driven by Ellis, but hurt the org either way).   Imagine Elway going rebuild in a 4-4 year from 2017-2020?  Never would have happened.  Paton still has to find our QB (and yes, a new HC & OC & staff), but in every other respect, I've been so impressed with his moves. 

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

The Broncos were not keeping Von after this year. This was an excellent haul given the realities of the contract/team structure situation. We are clearing cap. I wouldn't be shocked to see more players traded.

This is absolutely 100 percent spot on.   And let's not forget that as a vested veteran AND the fact you have to factor in money spent on the guys you bring in(not just guys you lose), this was a MUCH bigger haul than if we let Von walk.  And by all accounts, 2022's draft is quite deep (unlike 2021), so the chance to either find useful cheap players, or use those picks to move up and get a true difference maker in Rd1-2, is massive.  

2 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the compensatory picks we receive from expiring players who signed this off-season are granted in the 2023 draft, right?

If so, from a NPV standpoint (it takes a R1 pick next year to get a R2 pick this year - a la Alphonso Smith) we should be trading any/all expiring contracts now

Also, the vested vet rule that @broncos67 pointed out, and the fact we also have to count the $ we spend on guys we bring in, not just the guys we lose (and big-value contracts are what's counted, not total $ spent).    This would have been a massive win with just a 2nd - getting a 2nd and a 3rd, TOTALLY worth paying 9M of his 9.7M salary for 2021 (and only way LAR could afford it too).

2 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

Now it's time to send Smelly Melly to the Titans and Two Glove Teddy to the Saints 

Teddy B to NO would be great - but I think Payton is in love with Taysom Hill.  If we did the move, it would be a total buyer's price.    I do think MG3 to TEN would be an awesome deal to make to clear salary, and let Javonte Williams take over, would be a great move.  I know TEN signed AP, but he's not a 3rd down guy at all, could see TEN make the move (but make no mistake, unlikely any RB goes for anything but Day 3 picks).

I know it sucks because fans wanted Von to be a lifer (and it was even being said up to a month ago this was a terrible move to make by some fans) - but the reality is this was 100 percent the right move.   All we can do is pour one out for Von, and toast him today - kinda wished LAR was coming to see us (rather than us going to LAR) - we could really honor him with a great pregame in 2022.  Wonder if the league will reconsider there. 

20 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Teddy B to NO would be great - but I think Payton is in love with Taysom Hill.  If we did the move, it would be a total buyer's price.    I do think MG3 to TEN would be an awesome deal to make to clear salary, and let Javonte Williams take over, would be a great move.  I know TEN signed AP, but he's not a 3rd down guy at all, could see TEN make the move (but make no mistake, unlikely any RB goes for anything but Day 3 picks). 

Payton may love Taysom, but surely he’s looking to bring in another QB. Teddy makes perfect sense with his familiarity of the offence. The Saints have an extra 4th, I’d be just fine grabbing one of those. 

I have to say that I am re-evaluating my view on Paton - I think his comment about playing 'meaningful football in Nov and Dec' might have been to take the pressure off Fangio a bit and allow Paton to properly evaluate the coaching staff. If Paton succeeds in getting Rodgers then his decision to pass on Fields is justified.

In 3/4 months time Paton is the only one of the top echelons of the team that will still be in his job - it will be his team to build and there is a lot of building to be done. Trading Von is the first step in that rebuilding process - and I wouldn't have a problem if others left over the next 24 hours. The 2022 Broncos will be significantly different than what exists today.

In reality there are two key tasks for Paton and his career as GM will be determined by how successful he is with these decisions - 1. picking the right HC (and wider coaching staff) - 2. getting a QB. He has to do both or his tenure will be a failure. He won't make this team competitive without both (and I suspect won't get Rodgers without his input on the HC). 

Coupled with the sale of the team - the next 3/4 months will determine the progress of the team for the next 5/6 years.