Broncos trade Von Miller to Rams

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Payton may love Taysom, but surely he’s looking to bring in another QB. Teddy makes perfect sense with his familiarity of the offence. The Saints have an extra 4th, I’d be just fine grabbing one of those. 

Sure, all things being equal, a Rd4 pick would be great, but honestly, even a 5th, why not.  Save 2M (every dollar saved for 2022 is better than wasted this year).     If Paton can do better, all the power to him.   We just need to temper expectations a bit - losing Winston is a brutal blow to NO, but unlike MIN 2017 with TeddyB, NO likes the 2nd guy they have (don't ask me why, I think he's massively flawed as anything but a gadget player).   That changes the calculus on draft capital they'll be willing to spend.     With guys like Andy Dalton on the bench, I don't think we'll see a huge return for Teddy B (yes he knows the system, but Dalton's very adaptable, especially if it's as Hill's plan B, which likely is what TeddyB becomes). 

Now, if Taysom Hill can't clear concussion protocol and he's nowhere close to returning - then our outlook improves.   Thing is, with only 24 hours to go, it's a staring contest.   I'd be thrilled if we just unloaded the contract for any Day 3 pick, TBH.   Our season is totally lost, and TeddyB isn't advancing the progress of any of our players.  I have zero belief Lock is the answer, either.  Just it's clear TeddyB has no role for 2022 (neither does Lock IMO but at least TeddyB has some trade value lol).

56 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Teddy B to NO would be great - but I think Payton is in love with Taysom Hill.  If we did the move, it would be a total buyer's price.    I do think MG3 to TEN would be an awesome deal to make to clear salary, and let Javonte Williams take over, would be a great move.  I know TEN signed AP, but he's not a 3rd down guy at all, could see TEN make the move (but make no mistake, unlikely any RB goes for anything but Day 3 picks).

I know it sucks because fans wanted Von to be a lifer (and it was even being said up to a month ago this was a terrible move to make by some fans) - but the reality is this was 100 percent the right move.   All we can do is pour one out for Von, and toast him today - kinda wished LAR was coming to see us (rather than us going to LAR) - we could really honor him with a great pregame in 2022.  Wonder if the league will reconsider there. 

The bold makes so much sense.  Tennessee is a contender who suffered a massive blow with an injury to Henry.  It would make sense for them to fill that void with someone of Gordon's ilk so that they remain in the AFC title conversation.  Love AP but Gordon is just way better at this point in time.  We'll find out soon.  PS was just watching Around the Horn and Frank Isola credited Von with ruining Newton's career with that Superbowl performance against him.  I will never feel more pride than seeing that cocky mother literally in tears, a broken man and this was all while the game was still being played.  He was broken, defeated and was never the same and all do to Von who hated the fact that Newton went before him.  Love Von but the move makes sense at so many levels.  

Apologies if this was mentioned b4 - but last week's trade with Kenny Young going to DEN for a late rd pick swap makes a lot of sense now.   Even that small financial gain gave the Rams enough room to take on Von's extra 700K salary.  

Obviously it's not league-approved, but you wonder if LAR & DEN did the Young deal last week as a precursor to this deal.   I realize that Ernest Jones, their rookie ILB, is ready for more snaps.    But you don't deal away depth as a contender - unless you need the $ to make room for a guy like Von (and yes, even at 700K, the Rams needed to make room - still have 3M left to work with now that DEN took on 9M of the 9.7M that Miller had due - so wonder if there's another move coming - CB/S help?).

In that context, GM Paton's return of taking 9M of 9.7M left for Miller, Von himself and a 2022 6th for LAR's 2nd, 3rd & 7th round picks plus Kenny Young makes even more sense for both sides given the financial necessity in LAR, and increasing DEN's future return.  Of course neither GM would admit it, but you have to wonder if there were handshake deals consummated last week, with an agreement to deal Young & pick swap (just in case Young gets hurt, and loses all value, for example, and 1 more week to get good medicals on Von's recovery).  It also certainly adds context to Miller saying he felt a LOT better, but only practicing on the side, and being a GD inactive.

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

In reality there are two key tasks for Paton and his career as GM will be determined by how successful he is with these decisions - 1. picking the right HC (and wider coaching staff) - 2. getting a QB. He has to do both or his tenure will be a failure. 

And that is precisely why the current regime's tenure (or at least the back half of it) has been a failure. 

Post-McDisaster, Ellis made the right choice to hire Elway, who established instant credibility with the players, the fanbase, the media and the league. Elway succeeded with his first head coach hire in John Fox, who was precisely what we needed at the time, and, after the Tebow experiment garnered some excitement and a backdoor playoff berth, made the right choice with his first QB move (Peyton) and, it could be argued, his second QB move in Oz, who won us critical games with key plays deep in the season to get us the No. 1 seed that ultimately led to the win in the AFCCG against New England and SB50. Elway fired Fox despite four AFCW titles and a AFC championship when the team couldn't get over the hump and made another good hire in Kubiak and put the band back together (while some here and in the media argued for hot coordinator, Dan Quinn). 

We won the Super Bowl. Peyton retired.

After that, it was all downhill. 

-We let Oz walk (I still think a front-loaded contract was ideal; let him stay in a system he knew, with confidence and teammates and a staff with whom he had a rapport and a fan base that would have given him a leash, and see what came of it).

-We hired Vance after Kubes retired instead of hiring Kyle (that seems to be more on Ellis than Elway, however, given what we know).

-We drafted Paxton Lynch.

-We signed Case Keenum.

-We didn't draft Josh Allen.

-We hired Vic Fangio out of what had to be the sorriest lot of HC candidates this team has ever interviewed. 

-We signed Joe Flacco.

-We drafted Drew Lock. 

-We let Vic fire Scags and hire Pat Shurmur

Every decision Ellis/Elway have made regarding coaches and QBs since the Peyton/Kubes band broke up have been wrong. 

George better get the next ones right. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Sure, all things being equal, a Rd4 pick would be great, but honestly, even a 5th, why not.  Save 2M (every dollar saved for 2022 is better than wasted this year).     If Paton can do better, all the power to him.   We just need to temper expectations a bit - losing Winston is a brutal blow to NO, but unlike MIN 2017 with TeddyB, NO likes the 2nd guy they have (don't ask me why, I think he's massively flawed as anything but a gadget player).   That changes the calculus on draft capital they'll be willing to spend.     With guys like Andy Dalton on the bench, I don't think we'll see a huge return for Teddy B (yes he knows the system, but Dalton's very adaptable, especially if it's as Hill's plan B, which likely is what TeddyB becomes). 

Now, if Taysom Hill can't clear concussion protocol and he's nowhere close to returning - then our outlook improves.   Thing is, with only 24 hours to go, it's a staring contest.   I'd be thrilled if we just unloaded the contract for any Day 3 pick, TBH.   Our season is totally lost, and TeddyB isn't advancing the progress of any of our players.  I have zero belief Lock is the answer, either.  Just it's clear TeddyB has no role for 2022 (neither does Lock IMO but at least TeddyB has some trade value lol).

So if the value is good, we trade em both?

3 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

So if the value is good, we trade em both?

Even if the value isn’t good on paper -  we should consider any offer.  Neither guy is returning neither guy is getting a big deal in FA.   We should temper the expectations on what’s offered TBH.    Obviously take the best offer - but neither guy should be considered as must keep ROS.   Even day 3 picks would be free tickets to get better next year given we get nothing when they leave.    Or used to move up to get guys we want.   

Edited by Broncofan

11 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

Rollin’ w/Rypien

Sorry thought you meant MG3 & TeddyB.   Don’t see Lock traded.   It would be such a colossal admission of failure for Elway & prior FO in-season. They can sell the mirage that Lock offers a little hope.    Plus if he fails to be great (almost certain) then the FO can say Lock got a 3rd year before they moved on.   So no I don’t see both QB’s being traded.    

TeddyB has the most value as minimal as it is.   It may still  be that NO isn’t interested - in which case Paton may be standing pat.  Honestly that was the certain outcome before Winston got hurt in NO IMO. 

Edited by Broncofan

What a difference a new promising gm makes I mean imagine Elway making this move? one, probably wouldn't happen because he was mostly in win now mode and even if he did trade him fans would of been way more mad because it would of been his bad drafting that put us in that spot.

We would of only gotten a 5th round comp pick for Von.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Apologies if this was mentioned b4 - but last week's trade with Kenny Young going to DEN for a late rd pick swap makes a lot of sense now.   Even that small financial gain gave the Rams enough room to take on Von's extra 700K salary.  

Obviously it's not league-approved, but you wonder if LAR & DEN did the Young deal last week as a precursor to this deal.   I realize that Ernest Jones, their rookie ILB, is ready for more snaps.    But you don't deal away depth as a contender - unless you need the $ to make room for a guy like Von (and yes, even at 700K, the Rams needed to make room - still have 3M left to work with now that DEN took on 9M of the 9.7M that Miller had due - so wonder if there's another move coming - CB/S help?).

In that context, GM Paton's return of taking 9M of 9.7M left for Miller, Von himself and a 2022 6th for LAR's 2nd, 3rd & 7th round picks plus Kenny Young makes even more sense for both sides given the financial necessity in LAR, and increasing DEN's future return.  Of course neither GM would admit it, but you have to wonder if there were handshake deals consummated last week, with an agreement to deal Young & pick swap (just in case Young gets hurt, and loses all value, for example, and 1 more week to get good medicals on Von's recovery).  It also certainly adds context to Miller saying he felt a LOT better, but only practicing on the side, and being a GD inactive.

rams have over 5 million in cap. before the young trade they restructed havensteins contract.

maybe we make another move today.

Gotta say, I’m pretty friggin stumped on what Paton’s vision for the future is. If Allbright is correct (and I generally trust his info, even if he’s often a smarmy dink), Paton wasn’t looking to sell today, and the Von trade was a one-off. So like, what’s the plan for next season? Why trade Von if you’re not planning a rebuild? And if you’re not planning a rebuild, how does it make sense to trade your best (or at least your most important) defensive player? Is the plan to keep KJax? Sutton and Patrick? Teddy and MGIII? If not, are we still trying to win games *this* year?? While trading Von?? 

This has to be about accumulating assets for Wilson/Rodgers/Watson, yes? It’s clearly not a rebuild, so it won’t be a rd1 QB, but the QB situation needs to be resolved definitively before we’re contenders again. It just has to be this. I don’t see any other path that’s even close to logical. But even then, trying to win 2022 games by trading Von is a tough needle to thread.