Official Broncos Forum 2022 Draft Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Ppl forget that WFT drafted Kirk Cousins in Rd3 the same year as they drafted RG3, presumably as a backup, but also as plan B in case something happened to RG3 (one of the few truly great decisions WFT's FO made in that era...ouch).

Cousins was Shanahan's pick at QB - he didn't want RG3 but Snyder wanted to make a splash - RG3 was Snyder's pick and the rest of the draft was left to Shanahan. Shanahan drafted Cousins with the expectation that RG3 would flame out and then he could go to his plan A

I view one of the worst decisions of the Elway era was not a draft pick but the failure to pick up Andrew Whitworth 4 years ago because Elway considered him too old. That decision led to Elway spending a 1st rounder on a LT when he could have used it to move up and take Mahomes or Watson (even then Elway should have taken Ramczyk).

There would be a big difference in signing Wilson when compared to Rodgers - Wilson is 5 years younger. That is a lot of breathing space. Signing Rodgers does not reduce the long-term need for a QB - but it gives you time to find a good one. With Wilson you have a lot more time (signing Wilson effectively secures the QB position for the rest of Paton's current contract - so I think he will do his utmost to get Wilson as the priority - as Paton will need to replace Rodgers during his current tenure and that could impact on his contract being renewed.

And yes - I am in favour of throwing darts at the QB position until you hit with one.

Edited by jolly red giant

4 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Cousins was Shanahan's pick at QB - he didn't want RG3 but Snyder wanted to make a splash - RG3 was Snyder's pick and the rest of the draft was left to Shanahan. Shanahan drafted Cousins with the expectation that RG3 would flame out and then he could go to his plan A

I view one of the worst decisions of the Elway era was not a draft pick but the failure to pick up Andrew Whitworth 4 years ago because Elway considered him too old. That decision led to Elway spending a 1st rounder on a LT when he could have used it to move up and take Mahomes or Watson (even then Elway should have taken Ramczyk).

There would be a big difference in signing Wilson when compared to Rodgers - Wilson is 5 years younger. That is a lot of breathing space. Signing Rodgers does not reduce the long-term need for a QB - but it gives you time to find a good one. With Wilson you have a lot more time (signing Wilson effectively secures the QB position for the rest of Paton's current contract - so I think he will do his utmost to get Wilson as the priority - as Paton will need to replace Rodgers during his current tenure and that could impact on his contract being renewed.

And yes - I am in favour of throwing darts at the QB position until you hit with one.

As much as I supported A-Rod last offseason it’s a no brainer to prioritize Wilson.  Age 33 with his arm talent that ages so well.  

10 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

That’s pretty good work, turning a 7th into a 6th. Disappointing they couldn’t move Fuller, as I don’t see him factoring into any comp picks. I’d have taken anything I could get for him, but maybe even that was too much for teams who see he clearly can’t run anymore.

But with Fuller and Callahan probably not back next year, there was a clear path to Vincent being a regular on the roster in 2022. His preseason looked quite good, I thought? Unless he’s had considerable struggles in practice, I fail to see the logic in this. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

But with Fuller and Callahan probably not back next year, there was a clear path to Vincent being a regular on the roster in 2022. His preseason looked quite good, I thought? Unless he’s had considerable struggles in practice, I fail to see the logic in this. 

I was a big fan of his coming out. I think he can develop into a great slot CB. My assumption is that he either doesn't, or isn't good at, playing special teams and that's why he was traded. Patton is making is extremely clear that the back end of the roster must be special teams contributors. In the context of this thread, in addition to high character prospects, we should expect strong special teams prospects in the later rounds. 

1 minute ago, grizmo78 said:

I was a big fan of his coming out. I think he can develop into a great slot CB. My assumption is that he either doesn't, or isn't good at, playing special teams and that's why he was traded. Patton is making is extremely clear that the back end of the roster must be special teams contributors. In the context of this thread, in addition to high character prospects, we should expect strong special teams prospects in the later rounds. 

I don’t disagree with the premise, or your interpretation. But it’s not hard to imagine a scenario where Kary Vincent was battling for the starting slot job next season. A 6th round pick doesn’t seem like enough to forgo that option next training camp, unless like I said, he was struggling in practices. 

2 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I don’t disagree with the premise, or your interpretation. But it’s not hard to imagine a scenario where Kary Vincent was battling for the starting slot job next season. A 6th round pick doesn’t seem like enough to forgo that option next training camp, unless like I said, he was struggling in practices. 

Yeah, I would have preferred to keep him too. 

43 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

That’s pretty good work, turning a 7th into a 6th. Disappointing they couldn’t move Fuller, as I don’t see him factoring into any comp picks. I’d have taken anything I could get for him, but maybe even that was too much for teams who see he clearly can’t run anymore.

It was Fuller's agent who was trying to get him moved more than anything else, I've been told from a source in the know. He's on a one year deal and has been benched (though he'll play more now with Callahan's injury) but the agent wanted him to go somewhere where he could be a CB1 or CB2 and thus garner a little more love when he returns to FA in March. When it's people like Mike Florio leaking "news" about player movement, you can be 1000000000000000000% assured it's coming from the agent. 

• Like 3

Just now, broncosfan_101 said:

Update on the Vincent deal, we’re getting the Bucs’ 6th rounder from the Eagles, and not the Colts’ (technically the lower of the picks, I’m just assuming it’ll be TB’s.) Not a huge deal, but just adds to my confusion as to why this trade was made.

I think we needed to clear roster spots at CB because Ojemudia and Bassey are coming back from IR

11 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Update on the Vincent deal, we’re getting the Bucs’ 6th rounder from the Eagles, and not the Colts’ (technically the lower of the picks, I’m just assuming it’ll be TB’s.) Not a huge deal, but just adds to my confusion as to why this trade was made.

9 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I think we needed to clear roster spots at CB because Ojemudia and Bassey are coming back from IR

Probably Paton felt like there was no way he’d make it to the PS with Bassey and Ojemudia coming back.   

In which case I’d have been ok with giving away Fuller.  Even taking on a little money to get the same or somewhat better pick.   Let the kids learn.   Keeping Fuller does nothing for us (sadly enough)   I don’t think it’s likely a massive game changer but Fuller is easily the most disposable asset.   Oh well what’s done is done.  

Edited by Broncofan

4 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

He's not been active for a single game for a team that has had a large amount of CB injuries and ST coverage issues.

Can we please not make this particular transaction an issue.

What? You actually want to keep this in perspective?