Official Broncos Forum 2022 Draft Prospects Thread

broncosfan_101

36 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I keep hearing about that Utah guy.

3 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I haven’t really looked into prospects much this year and have only caught a couple of games so I’m not sure where these two would be slated to go, but Brandon Smith (Penn St) and Devin Lloyd (Utah) would both look great next to browning in the middle of our D for the next 5 years. 

I’m biased but if Vic is still here and coaching a guy up I want Troy Anderson from Montana State in the 3rd/4th.  Dudes a physical freak and is a ball of clay for someone to mold at LB.

6’4, 240 pounds and quite possible running a sub 4.6 40

Big Sky freshman of the year at RB mainly with some LB thrown in 

1st team All big Sky and 3rd team AA, as a QB as a sophomore 

1st team AA as a LB while still playing on offense at QB and RB as a junior 

1st team AA and Buck Buchanan finalist (out of 3) this year as a senior 

• Like 2

On 12/13/2021 at 11:40 AM, broncos67 said:

A few guys (non-QB), that I could see us considering are:

1. David Ojabo, OLB
  2. George Karlaftis, DE
  3. Jordan Davis, DT
  4. Darian Kinnard, OT
  5. Roger McCreary, CB

If QB isn't the pick, have to believe fortifying either OL or DL is going to be a top priority.

I really *really* like Jordan Davis. He’s not gonna get to the passer, but he’s got enough burst to collapse pockets inside, and obviously is such a stout run stopper. I know we’re still quite unsure about what kind of defence we’ll be running and who’s gonna be coaching it, but Jordan Davis will be real adaptable in the NFL.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I really *really* like Jordan Davis. He’s not gonna get to the passer, but he’s got enough burst to collapse pockets inside, and obviously is such a stout run stopper. I know we’re still quite unsure about what kind of defence we’ll be running and who’s gonna be coaching it, but Jordan Davis will be real adaptable in the NFL.

I like Jordan Davis but a traditional NT just is not nearly valuable enough to use a 1st round pick on. 

9 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

I’m biased but if Vic is still here and coaching a guy up I want Troy Anderson from Montana State in the 3rd/4th.  Dudes a physical freak and is a ball of clay for someone to mold at LB.

6’4, 240 pounds and quite possible running a sub 4.6 40

Big Sky freshman of the year at RB mainly with some LB thrown in 

1st team All big Sky and 3rd team AA, as a QB as a sophomore 

1st team AA as a LB while still playing on offense at QB and RB as a junior 

1st team AA and Buck Buchanan finalist (out of 3) this year as a senior 

Maybe QBOTF ???  🤣 With those kind of attributes, looks like he could be a Riser

On 12/14/2021 at 8:35 PM, grizmo78 said:

I like Jordan Davis but a traditional NT just is not nearly valuable enough to use a 1st round pick on. 

I generally agree, but just like the 2021 draft, this one is extremely thin on impact IDL’s. It’s basically Davis and DeMarvin Leal at this point, though I think Leal’s a 43DE only. I’m trying real hard to get on board with Leal as a top 20 guy, but he’s a bit of a tweener for me. Not enough twitchy pass rushing to play outside, not physically stout enough to bully inside (though there’s certainly enough ability there that a year or two in an NFL gym could make him a real menace at either spot.)

It’s just been a few years since we’ve had a true, 3-down difference maker on the DL. Harris and Wolfe and Jones have been good players for us recently, but we haven’t had a beast in that unit since Malik Jackson in the Super Bowl season. Not to say Jordan Davis is that guy, but we could afford to spend a premium asset or two upgrading that position. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I generally agree, but just like the 2021 draft, this one is extremely thin on impact IDL’s. It’s basically Davis and DeMarvin Leal at this point, though I think Leal’s a 43DE only. I’m trying real hard to get on board with Leal as a top 20 guy, but he’s a bit of a tweener for me. Not enough twitchy pass rushing to play outside, not physically stout enough to bully inside (though there’s certainly enough ability there that a year or two in an NFL gym could make him a real menace at either spot.)

It’s just been a few years since we’ve had a true, 3-down difference maker on the DL. Harris and Wolfe and Jones have been good players for us recently, but we haven’t had a beast in that unit since Malik Jackson in the Super Bowl season. Not to say Jordan Davis is that guy, but we could afford to spend a premium asset or two upgrading that position. 

I typically would agree that NT isn't necessarily worth a first, but Davis is extremely good. He routinely takes on multiple blockers and is a huge cog in that UGA defense. Guy is likely an instant impact player in the NFL. He'll end up going to a good team and it'll be a "rich get richer" type of scenario.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I typically would agree that NT isn't necessarily worth a first, but Davis is extremely good. He routinely takes on multiple blockers and is a huge cog in that UGA defense. Guy is likely an instant impact player in the NFL. He'll end up going to a good team and it'll be a "rich get richer" type of scenario.

I think Davis is gonna get a bunch of the UGA defenders drafted higher than they “should” be. They’ll have 3 DL picked in the first two rounds, plus Nakobe is a first rounder. I like Nakobe, but it’s a lot easier to look impressive when you’re never touched by offensive linemen. 

You guys know I don't follow college ball and pretty much rely on you to get me info on the ball players. I've got a few questions regarding QB.

Here's what I'm looking for:

No dual threat QB's, just not interested.  Very smart. Competitive. Strong leadership, team first traits. Good pocket presence with a bit of wiggle. Very accurate. NFL arm but doesn't need a canon. Coachable and a great locker room guy, popular with his teammates. A Mac Jones type.

Anyway, if you can think of any QB's with those traits let me know. After that I'll look at 'em but I need you guys as a filter.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I think Davis is gonna get a bunch of the UGA defenders drafted higher than they “should” be. They’ll have 3 DL picked in the first two rounds, plus Nakobe is a first rounder. I like Nakobe, but it’s a lot easier to look impressive when you’re never touched by offensive linemen. 

Is he your guy on the DL this year? You seem to have a knack for those guys.

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Is he your guy on the DL this year? You seem to have a knack for those guys.

I don’t know if he’s my guy yet, but remember how annoying it was to face Jamal Williams twice per season all those years he was in San Diego? I think that’s Jordan Davis. UGA lines him up at 3 technique sometimes, and it doesn’t work. But watch his Clemson tape from this season, and the plays where he’s lined up at 0 or 2 technique and doesn’t have to worry about a gap…he’s just overwhelming 1-on-1. There was also a play vs Kentucky that I remember where he was full-on doubled on a draw play. And he hung out for a second until the back got close, then just manhandled the two OL into each other and was able to shut the RB’s gap completely. He’s a big strong dude.

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

You guys know I don't follow college ball and pretty much rely on you to get me info on the ball players. I've got a few questions regarding QB.

Here's what I'm looking for:

No dual threat QB's, just not interested.  Very smart. Competitive. Strong leadership, team first traits. Good pocket presence with a bit of wiggle. Very accurate. NFL arm but doesn't need a canon. Coachable and a great locker room guy, popular with his teammates. A Mac Jones type.

Anyway, if you can think of any QB's with those traits let me know. After that I'll look at 'em but I need you guys as a filter.

Thanks!

Kenny Pickett is your guy. Fifth year senior, a lot of experience but not much in the way of success until this year where he really broke out. Decent size, average arm but solid accuracy. Goes through progressions well, smart dude and well liked by all accounts. Good mobility as well. A lot of similarities/parallels to Joe Burrow. You won't find a lot of consensus with this QB draft but his value looks to be around mid first so certainly a possibility.

Among others that we'd certainly entertain that are in that first/second round range:

Sam Howell- probably my favorite but I have a slight bias. I've seen pretty much every UNC game since he's started as a true freshman. Very good arm and throws one of the best deep balls I've seen, particularly his freshman/sophomore seasons. Not the fastest dude but still ran for 1k yards this season, seems to just shrug off tacklers despite not being the biggest dude. Biggest issue was clear regression in the passing game, largely because losing his top 4 weapons to the NFL and also the offensive line becoming a sieve. Because of the line issues, he definitely became more of a runner this year, partly due to necessity but also to his detriment occasionally. A lot to like but also adding pretty big red flags. 

Matt Corral- very good arm, very good athlete. Hard to judge him in that Lane Kiffen offense that is RPO heavy with a lot of quick throws to the flat/seam/slants. 

Desmond Ridder- from a physical standpoint, everything you could want. Just feels very mechanical, but a natural thrower. 

Carson Strong- pretty sure this is one of the guys Paton went to watch live. I don't see it. Big dude, good arm (some say he has a canon but I disagree). Basically a statue, which, in todays NFL, if you're not Peyton Manning/TB12, almost impossible to survive. 

5 minutes ago, rcpbawler said:

Kenny Pickett is your guy. Fifth year senior, a lot of experience but not much in the way of success until this year where he really broke out. Decent size, average arm but solid accuracy. Goes through progressions well, smart dude and well liked by all accounts. Good mobility as well. A lot of similarities/parallels to Joe Burrow. You won't find a lot of consensus with this QB draft but his value looks to be around mid first so certainly a possibility.

Among others that we'd certainly entertain that are in that first/second round range:

Sam Howell- probably my favorite but I have a slight bias. I've seen pretty much every UNC game since he's started as a true freshman. Very good arm and throws one of the best deep balls I've seen, particularly his freshman/sophomore seasons. Not the fastest dude but still ran for 1k yards this season, seems to just shrug off tacklers despite not being the biggest dude. Biggest issue was clear regression in the passing game, largely because losing his top 4 weapons to the NFL and also the offensive line becoming a sieve. Because of the line issues, he definitely became more of a runner this year, partly due to necessity but also to his detriment occasionally. A lot to like but also adding pretty big red flags. 

Matt Corral- very good arm, very good athlete. Hard to judge him in that Lane Kiffen offense that is RPO heavy with a lot of quick throws to the flat/seam/slants. 

Desmond Ridder- from a physical standpoint, everything you could want. Just feels very mechanical, but a natural thrower. 

Carson Strong- pretty sure this is one of the guys Paton went to watch live. I don't see it. Big dude, good arm (some say he has a canon but I disagree). Basically a statue, which, in todays NFL, if you're not Peyton Manning/TB12, almost impossible to survive. 

You know anything about the Western Kentucky kid, Bailey Zappe? Maybe a day two sleeper?

45 minutes ago, rcpbawler said:

Haven't seen much of Zappe yet. Started my leave today so trying to catch up on some guys the next couple of weeks. 

Well, if you get a chance any input would be appreciated. My download speeds are really bad up here. The price you pay for being in the middle of nowhere.