Jets @ Colts Thursday Night

jetfuel34

Man respect for Jarrid Davis really candid post game interview. Love that. That being said our Linebackers we terrible today and we need youth there and not converted DBs with zero instincts. 

I think Saleh is a decent leader and I love his positivity but my god I’m really not sure he has this good eye for talent that he’s trying to sell to the fans. They were however right about Mims. He just isn’t making the most of his opportunities. 

God damn that was brutal. I was not expecting us to win, though I gave us a chance. And was expecting a competitive game. I was legitimately excited to watch the Mike White led offense again. And we were robbed of that after just two drives, the last of which was a great TD drive. Yes, we were going to lose even with Tom Brady at QB with our D playing some of the worst defense I've ever seen from a Jets team. But still, damn. We're going to get destroyed next week and I just wanted to enjoy me some Mike White.

Thoughts from the game:

• Zach is bad (or "not ready" if you'd prefer). He needs to sit the rest of the season. The offense looks much, much better with anyone else in. Sure, LaFleur has been more creative lately, but still. The QB upgrade is obvious when we play someone else. We have good skill position players and just need someone to get them the ball and make quick decisions
  • You can argue that we got points in garbage time if you like, but we scored 30 points, had 30 first downs, went 8/14 on third down, had 5 red zone drives (out of 11), gave up only 2 sacks, and had 486 yards of offense (398 passing). That is respectable, which is far beyond the norm for Jets offense
  • Two of the last three weeks the defense has been almost historically bad (and in our "good" game in there, we still allowed 31 points). We need an influx of talent really badly
  • Even with Davis out, Moore/Cole/Crowder is a pretty solid WR group. Even our TEs got involved tonight, probably doubling their entire season output with this game
  • Our complete inability to get turnovers on defense feels like it's killing us. Not only do we struggle to stop teams, but we never steal a possession. Everything is just too easy for the opposition

We have to make it through next week, but then we get Dolphins, Texans, Eagles. Maybe some more enjoyment on the horizon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheChad said:

On that note, if White isn't 100%, sit him next week. This team will struggle to stay within 30 points of Buffalo.

White is gonna play. Wilson is cleared to practice this week. If white can't go, you have to imagine Wilson would get the nod. There's no way, if they went with Wilson that they would slot White back in once healthy. 

Well its not as though I didn't expect the outcome. The defense has been terrible all year and in particular the D line. The LB's have for the most part been a patchwork of players moving in and out. Our CB/S have been okay, with some exceptions of lack of experience and just being out coached and out played. 

But the D line was supposed to be one of the better ones in the league especially against the run. I have to say if the answer is not on the team then look for the Jets to draft a D lineman or two next year.

This team needs so much talent its frightening, did they finish with a single sack? They had pressures from time to time, and yet at other times Wentz could have had a BBQ behind that line he had so much time. 

The Jets obviously need to draft OL next draft, but can they ignore the fact they have mediocre pass rushers ? Even if the Jets had to give up 2 number ones and extra picks for Thibodeaux  they should do it.

Thibodeaux is a once in  a decade player and would change the dynamic of the Jets D line. 

The Jets need help at Safety, I'm not sure A.Davis is the answer and could have been a major poor draft choice. The Jets have to make some major decisions with the D line. Fatukasi will be a FA I believe and you see some flashes from the other defensive linemen but on the whole they have underwhelmed.

J.D. hasn't drafted poorly, especially this year, having as many as 6 rookies from this years draft playing in starting roles or rotational players. 

But that just shows you how this team lacks talent or should I say players who could push the starters to excel knowing that there are talented players waiting to take their jobs. 

GVR as bad as he is, doesn't seem to be threatened by players at G because obviously he's better than they are. Morgan Moses was a revolving door yesterday, he was beat so much. He looked like a statue and was continually trailing the pass rush.

All you guy's that were and are on the Mike White train, he was fortunate to have not been pick off numerous times and yesterday got a taste of what it is like when your OL fails you and you become a piñata.

So expect this kind of performance with a sprinkle of a win here and the're the rest of the season. The team has talent, but not enough to be even be considered even sniffing a wild card. 

Cimini said it best when he said "I have 2 words to describe the Jets, Expansion Team". Bingo!!! 

Well I was darn near spot on with my prediction in this one. Knew we stood no chance if we couldn't stop Taylor and Pittman and that was exactly the case. The defense was just God awful yesterday. The worst I've seen them play in a long time. That was darn near our full starting defense and they got 40+ put on them against an average offense. Not a single good thing to say about anything defensively.

On offense though there was optimism. White looked pretty good in his 1qtr he played. Hopefully he can play next week (injury didn't seem serious). Even JJ looked pretty good after he got in a rhythm. So the QB play the last couple weeks has actually been pretty darn good. Back to back 400yd games for our passing game. Which I might have to bite my tongue for calling for LaFleur's head. Bc these last 2 weeks with no Wilson, he's called pretty darn good games. He's made the game simpler, has taken some risks with trick plays, and has put the skill players in position to succeed. I hope this continues the rest of the way, regardless who's at QB.

Moore had a break out game. That's 3 TDs for him the last 3 weeks with about 200yds or total offense for him as well. He's becoming the guy we thought he should've been from Week 1. This is LaFleur's play calling being better. And let's hope it continues.

I also have to give respect again to the OL. With the exception yet again for GVR and McGovern... the OL played pretty good again. Becton should be back soon. Fant and Moses though have played good enough to where we shouldn't rush him back and actually need to think about how to put these guys in the best positions for the OL to be good. AVT looked solid again. OGs rarely get love. But he's playing great for a OG as a rookie. 

The last two games we racked up over 900 yards of total offensive, scored 64 points, WR looked great except for Mims. Carter looks like our best drafted RB since Freeman Mc Neil. Two QB;s, that we picked up off the street made me forget about Joe Namath. If we get the Center & Guard in next years draft we can really anchor the O line.. Was I seeing things or was that a Jet TE catching a TD twenty yards downfield in the back of the end zone.

Now I will list all the good things i  saw out of our defensive.

DEFENSIVE LINE---------------------------------------------

DEFENSIVE LB's-----------------------------------------------

DEFENSIVE BF   ----------------------------------------------

SORRY I saw nothing except a bunch of Jet D lineman & linebackers getting push all over the field.  I don't even want to talk about the last holdover from the Mac era Q Williams.

Edited by doumeyer

I hope some of you can now see my points on why Wilson is not a NFL QB. You throw a guy who has never really played and been around like 15-20 teams and he does well. This just proves that Wilson should be done for the year unless White, Johnson and Flacco all get hurt. White will be back next week with that week and half to recover. I would start White and have Johnson as his backup and put Wilson on the IR. I would say his knee is just not there and we don't want to rush him back. White is the team leader. The guy looked good again and is putting up crazy numbers. That second drive was great. He hit open guys and it looked like he had enough zip on the ball to be fine. White's ball placement is one of the best I think in the NFL. He gets that ball in those very tight windows. Ya the D is just bad. We spend all these draft picks on D and NONE ever turn out well. I think the Jets need to bring Crowder back and trade Mims. I would also be okay with Maye coming back too. 

41 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I hope some of you can now see my points on why Wilson is not a NFL QB. You throw a guy who has never really played and been around like 15-20 teams and he does well. This just proves that Wilson should be done for the year unless White, Johnson and Flacco all get hurt. White will be back next week with that week and half to recover. I would start White and have Johnson as his backup and put Wilson on the IR. I would say his knee is just not there and we don't want to rush him back. White is the team leader. The guy looked good again and is putting up crazy numbers. That second drive was great. He hit open guys and it looked like he had enough zip on the ball to be fine. White's ball placement is one of the best I think in the NFL. He gets that ball in those very tight windows. Ya the D is just bad. We spend all these draft picks on D and NONE ever turn out well. I think the Jets need to bring Crowder back and trade Mims. I would also be okay with Maye coming back too. 

Don't agree with this at all. I think there were a few main factors into why Wilson didn't succeed early.

1. They didn't simplify the system for him. The game plan these last 2 weeks in night and day from what we di when Wilson was our starter. Is Wilson more a gunslinger than White? Of course. But it was clear the game plan was different these last couple weeks. This should be the game plan for Wilson when he comes back. I don't find it a coincidence that we played better when LaFleur went upstairs instead of on the sideline. There's something to that. And it's not White > Wilson. Its LaFleur Weeks 8-9 > LaFleur Weeks 1-7.

2. Wilson know has tape to review and see how this system should be run. He's more talented than White and JJ. Maybe he just needed to see what he needs to do for the system to work.

3. Expectations were too high for him. We knew he was a gunslinger from a smaller school. We shouldn't have expected him to play like a vet and grasp everything fast. The staff and media are partial to blame for this. Bc all we heard was how great he is in camp and preseason. Now hopefully everyone has came back down and has regular expectations for him.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I second Bobby's points. Give Wilson some time and let him learn the dink and dunk aspects of this offence. His deep ball will keep teams honest and allow the methodical plodding aspects of this offense to work. He's just not ready.

But also brining back Crowder should not be an option. It's only going to hurt Moore. Drafting Moore and Wilson together was no mistake. The slot receiver can be the QBs best friend and they will only develop together.

• Like 2

I want to see Wilson in the "New" LaFleur system.  Not the crap we saw for the first few weeks.  Then, I can at least pass some judgement on Wilson by comparing apples to apples.  That said, I would still like to see White against Buffalo.  The obvious reason is Buffalo's D is the best we may see this year and I want an more "experienced" QB running the O.  Another reason is that bringing in Zach against Buffalo may just crush him mentally.  Let him watch at least another week.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Don't agree with this at all. I think there were a few main factors into why Wilson didn't succeed early.

1. They didn't simplify the system for him. The game plan these last 2 weeks in night and day from what we di when Wilson was our starter. Is Wilson more a gunslinger than White? Of course. But it was clear the game plan was different these last couple weeks. This should be the game plan for Wilson when he comes back. I don't find it a coincidence that we played better when LaFleur went upstairs instead of on the sideline. There's something to that. And it's not White > Wilson. Its LaFleur Weeks 8-9 > LaFleur Weeks 1-7.

2. Wilson know has tape to review and see how this system should be run. He's more talented than White and JJ. Maybe he just needed to see what he needs to do for the system to work.

3. Expectations were too high for him. We knew he was a gunslinger from a smaller school. We shouldn't have expected him to play like a vet and grasp everything fast. The staff and media are partial to blame for this. Bc all we heard was how great he is in camp and preseason. Now hopefully everyone has came back down and has regular expectations for him.

I still feel what hurt Wilson the most was the week teams he played last year. He was able do things last year that you can't do in the pros. Is this the end of the line for Wilson hell no. He has talent, and it is just going to take time. We were all pushing for him to start the season including me and that was wrong. The second half of the Titans game he really showed the talent he has. I am glad you people are not a sharp as you were, after I listed all the sad teams Wilson played last year like WKU Hilltoppers, guess who played for the Hilltoppers John Johnson.

You guys still like having that word "hope" in the Jets organization. I'm all done with that word. All I see and read are excuses why Wilson is not doing well. I seen him play live and you guys would be so mad at what I saw from him. Guys wide open and he passes them up. This has nothing to do with play calling. reps, coaching, OL, none of this. This is right on Wilson himself. I don't care what plays you do or call if he refuses to throw to an open guy that is the QB (Wilson's) fault. I think the fast this organization realizes they made a huge mistake by taking him #2 and not trading down and move on the faster this team will get better. Mike White should start the rest of the season and from what I have seen he is a VERY good QB that we have needed for so long. Don't mess this up because you made a massive mistake. If Wilson can't even complete high 50% of his passes you will NEVER win. Remember guys you have a journeyman guy for 15 years step in and do well. How the heck could you have this great talented QB do nothing. I have seen nothing from Wilson in those 5 games that thinks he even should be in the league let alone start. He was on pace to break the record for most INTS. No QB that has done well has ever started off as bad as him. It is just not there in my eyes. I'm usually laid back and think ya okay I will buy this and that but I'm done buying this crap the Jets and media are saying. This is Mike White's team until the end of the season for me.