WR Henry Ruggs involved in serious car accident

.Buzz

5 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

No worse than what Mike Vick did.🤷‍♂️

Maybe I’m coming at this from a hippie dippie perspective, but what good does banning him from the NFL do? If he were a bag boy or plumber he wouldn’t be banned from working.

I can even see an argument against any jail time. Prisons are meant to protect the public from serious threats, using them punitively for accidental crimes does nothing but waste time, money and potential.

Fines? Absolutely. Driving ban? Obviously. Civil case and massive compensation to the family? Goes without saying. But good does jail time do? From a purely practical perspective, he can pay the family back more if he’s still making NFL money.

In what way is getting in your car inebriated and choosing to drive which results in a completely innocent persons death "accidental"? Hell if you drive recklessly and kill someone, how is that "accidental". Actions have consequences. Your point is so beyond off base and lost it blows my mind. 

He killed someone because he made terrible choices. Was it on purpose? No. But he made decisions which lead to another persons death. That is truly despicable behavior and should be punished with serious jail time. What if that was you or your family sitting in that car? 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

To turn this back around to football? I think this has nominal impact on his football career. He'll likely go on the exempt list or be out the rest of the year I would imagine, but I really don't know that there's a great chance that he misses more than the rest of this year. 

The NFL has gone to extreme lengths to curb this specific behavior including education and re-education of every player each year. They also created a fund for instant reimbursement if the players take an uber/lyft/taxi.
No questions asked. Just submit your receipt and get paid.

So while past precedent always plays a big role, I think Ruggs is going to suffer more than a few games suspension. The NFL is currently under heavy fire in the WFT/Gruden stuff, the Watson stuff, the St Louis relo lawsuit and more- and they are going to get crucified in the press if they show any leniency towards Ruggs.

The NFLPA will certainly step in and help him, but he may end up a sacrificial lamb with a lengthier return to play 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

In what way is getting in your car inebriated and choosing to drive which results in a completely innocent persons death "accidental"? Hell if you drive recklessly and kill someone, how is that "accidental". Actions have consequences. Your point is so beyond off base and lost it blows my mind. 

He killed someone because he made terrible choices. Was it on purpose? No. But he made decisions which lead to another persons death. That is truly despicable behavior and should be punished with serious jail time. What if that was you or your family sitting in that car? 

Do you believe every person's first DUI should involve serious jail time? 

Not arguing for or against, just curious if you believe that it should.

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The NFL has gone to extreme lengths to curb this specific behavior including education and re-education of every player each year. They also created a fund for instant reimbursement if the players take an uber/lyft/taxi.
No questions asked. Just submit your receipt and get paid.

So while past precedent always plays a big role, I think Ruggs is going to suffer more than a few games suspension. The NFL is currently under heavy fire in the WFT/Gruden stuff, the Watson stuff, the St Louis relo lawsuit and more- and they are going to get crucified in the press if they show any leniency towards Ruggs.

The NFLPA will certainly step in and help him, but he may end up a sacrificial lamb with a lengthier return to play 

It's certainly possible I'm underestimating the NFL's desire to get out from under these optics. They have handed out indefinite bans / multi year suspensions before, I'm pretty sure. Very possible that they give out another one here. 

• Like 1

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

If they murder someone, duh.

I have no distinction. Anytime someone drives drunk it could result in death. The luck (or bad luck) shouldn't have any bearing on the consequences for the initial decision. Consequences should be based entirely on the controllable events/decisions of the perpetrator.

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

Do you believe every person's first DUI should involve serious jail time? 

Not arguing for or against, just curious if you believe that it should.

I believe in jail time for every DUI including the first. "Serious" is debatable and open ended, but I believe every person who drives while drunk should spend time in jail, the length depending on the severity of their actions. It is abhorrent behavior that has to be removed from society as much as possible.

That said, there are people who drive drunk daily and don't get in trouble. You can't let the most serious offenders like Ruggs who ended someone's life off with a slap on the wrist because "they didn't mean to do it" and they "aren't a bad guy". I don't think Ruggs is a terrible human who should be completely cast away from society for the rest of his life, but I do believe he needs to spend a fair amount of time in jail so he can begin to really grasp what he has done. It also just sets a terrible example for the rest of society if you let athletes like him do stuff like this and not be punished appropriately.

I am not trying to get in a massive moral debate about this... but it makes me upset when someone calls the killing of a human "accidental" when someone made the deliberate decision to operate a vehicle while they are impaired. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Are you advocating for permanent bans of employment for every person who has a DUI? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, I'm simply pointing out that the only thing that separates what he did from anyone else who has a DUI is awful luck. Tragic and awful and obviously the reason behind stiff DUI penalties, but still just tragic, awful luck that this was his result.

Note that I am in favor of even stiffer DUI penalties than currently exist - but a permanent employment ban is not among the consequences I would consider.

There are different levels of DUI.    My buddy got his first DUI last Memorial Day.    He had a couple beers and was just barely over the limit.   He got pulled over because the cop said he went slighly off the road once, which I see people do on a daily basis when NOT drunk, but Memorial Day is a big money making day for the state and they are looking to bust people.

Not defending his DUI or any DUI, but its a case by case basis.

I agree a permanent employment ban isnt the answer, but his negligence killed someone.    He should be paying a percentage of his lifelong earnings to that family.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, viking said:

RIP to the victim.

I have to think that such a huge and tragic incident like this is going to derail the Raiders great season. Especially after the whole Gruden thing.

I feel for their fans.    Always dealing with something it seems.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I have no distinction. Anytime someone drives drunk it could result in death. The luck (or bad luck) shouldn't have any bearing on the consequences for the initial decision. Consequences should be based entirely on the controllable events/decisions of the perpetrator.

There are varying levels of how impaired you are. There are also varying levels in how different people are able to function while impaired. It's not simple enough to just boil it down to drinking and driving = x amount of jail time.

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

There are varying levels of how impaired you are. There are also varying levels in how different people are able to function while impaired. It's not simple enough to just boil it down to drinking and driving = x amount of jail time.

I agree. I apologize if I wasn't clear. The level of impairment is part of the controllable aspect of the decision-maker and should be factored into the consequences.

28 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Are you advocating for permanent bans of employment for every person who has a DUI? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, I'm simply pointing out that the only thing that separates what he did from anyone else who has a DUI is awful luck. Tragic and awful and obviously the reason behind stiff DUI penalties, but still just tragic, awful luck that this was his result.

Note that I am in favor of even stiffer DUI penalties than currently exist - but a permanent employment ban is not among the consequences I would consider.

From the NFL? Sure. There are thousands of replacement players, the NFL should hand out lifetime bans far more often.

• Like 1