WR Henry Ruggs involved in serious car accident

.Buzz

26 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

In what way is getting in your car inebriated and choosing to drive which results in a completely innocent persons death "accidental"? Hell if you drive recklessly and kill someone, how is that "accidental". Actions have consequences. Your point is so beyond off base and lost it blows my mind. 

He killed someone because he made terrible choices. Was it on purpose? No. But he made decisions which lead to another persons death. That is truly despicable behavior and should be punished with serious jail time. What if that was you or your family sitting in that car? 

…which means it was an accident. A stupid accident, but an accident.

Why serious jail time? What good does punishing him do? He’s not a serial killer, who you lock up to protect people. He’s a dumb kid who made a stupid decision that thousands of people make everyday, and got the worst possible result.

Pointless punitive jail terms have done nothing to curb real crime in the US, let alone those without criminal intent, they just increase the already needlessly bloated incarcerated population.

Take his license, mandate counselling, make him sign over 60% of his pay cheques to the victims family, forever if you want. All make sound sense. Throwing him in jail is nothing but vindictive and does nothing to benefit society.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChazStandard said:

…which means it was an accident. A stupid accident, but an accident.

Why serious jail time? What good does punishing him do? He’s not a serial killer, who you lock up to protect people. He’s a dumb kid who made a stupid decision that thousands of people make everyday, and got the worst possible result.

Pointless punitive jail terms have done nothing to curb real crime in the US, let alone those without criminal intent, they just increase the already needlessly bloated incarcerated population.

Take his license, mandate counselling, make him sign over 60% of his pay cheques to the victims family, forever if you want. All make sound sense. Throwing him in jail is nothing but vindictive and does nothing to benefit society.

Mods want us to discuss football so I won't respond to this, but I couldn't disagree with what you said here more.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Geezy said:

its tough for sure, just when we turn a corner, emails. Get over that it seemed, this. Sheesh. 

I think you guys will be ok. It is definitely a loss, but if the team can get the "us vs the world" mindset and really embrace the adversity it can take you to the next level. The Eagles did that in 2017 and it won them a championship. I don't think the Raiders are quite at that level, but I definitely believe you guys can be a playoff team still.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Why serious jail time? What good does punishing him do? He’s not a serial killer, who you lock up to protect people. He’s a dumb kid who made a stupid decision that thousands of people make everyday, and got the worst possible result

HE got the worst possible result…???? That’s a bad take

• Like 2

Just now, ChazStandard said:

It’s a reasoned position arguing for the benefit of all those involved. Nitpicking phrasing doesn’t change that.

LOL

Yes, reasonable to say he’s somehow a victim after killing somebody.

Regardless, I think he’s played his last game pending the outcome of the circumstances behind the crash.

36 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I have no distinction. Anytime someone drives drunk it could result in death. The luck (or bad luck) shouldn't have any bearing on the consequences for the initial decision. Consequences should be based entirely on the controllable events/decisions of the perpetrator.

Maybe you don't have a distinction, but it definitely exists.   Nearly every crime or tort does.  Outcomes matter - especially when people die.   

Driving Drunk is never with intent to kill.   

If you get into a fight and a guy gets a bloody nose there is no penalty (often).    If you get into a fight and guy falls, hits his head on something and dies you are getting manslaughter charges.

Intent was same in both cases.  Consequences will be way different.

Rob a bank and no one dies, rob a bank and people die - way different.  Intent was same.  

Sell drugs and nothing happens, sell drugs and someone ODs and it gets traced back to you.  Way different consequences and on and on.

Negligent little fires that become forest fires ...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

LOL

Yes, reasonable to say he’s somehow a victim after killing somebody.

Regardless, I think he’s played his last game pending the outcome of the circumstances behind the crash.

I never said he was a victim, or even implied it. Why quote mine and straw man? What a waste of time.

2 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

I never said he was a victim, or even implied it. Why quote mine and straw man? What a waste of time.

You said he got the worst possible result as though it’s unfortunate for him. As for my other statements, they stand.

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Tragic. Thoughts go out to the victim. Goes without saying he should face criminal punishment. But for someone here to say “go to hell” ain’t necessary. 

Yeah honestly disgusting.

Crazy people can’t sympathize that a guy who just made a dumb mistake has to live with the fact he killed someone.

What kind of society is this. This is a tragedy and the victim should be mourned and Ruggs’ very potential shattered life should be pitied as well.

I’ve never understood the “one person lost their life in this, so we should make sure another does too” mindset.

Ruggs should serve his time, undergo his penance, and hopefully his life isn’t ruined because of this.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Maybe you don't have a distinction, but it definitely exists.   Nearly every crime or tort does.  Outcomes matter - especially when people die.   

Driving Drunk is never with intent to kill.   

If you get into a fight and a guy gets a bloody nose there is no penalty (often).    If you get into a fight and guy falls, hits his head on something and dies you are getting manslaughter charges.

Intent was same in both cases.  Consequences will be way different.

Rob a bank and no one dies, rob a bank and people die - way different.  Intent was same.  

Sell drugs and nothing happens, sell drugs and someone ODs and it gets traced back to you.  Way different consequences and on and on.

Negligent little fires that become forest fires ...

I'm well aware that current law is flawed that way.

13 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Yeah honestly disgusting.

Crazy people can’t sympathize that a guy who just made a dumb mistake has to live with the fact he killed someone.

What kind of society is this. This is a tragedy and the victim should be mourned and Ruggs’ very potential shattered life should be pitied as well.

I’ve never understood the “one person lost their life in this, so we should make sure another does too” mindset.

Ruggs should serve his time, undergo his penance, and hopefully his life isn’t ruined because of this.

I agree. 

From a football standpoint, I highly suspect that the greatest net benefit to society involves Henry Ruggs playing football again.

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

First of all and more importantly, this is horrible and unacceptable. Someone died for no reason. 1000% avoidable. Ruggs is an idiot. 

Second, our season is over. Gg to our offense, built around our young ascending wr. I swear we are cursed.

Your season isn't over yet. But I will say I can't remember a worse interim coaching situation. 

Just seems like for the past twenty years whenever the Raiders have some semblance of hope the football Gods send in the hit squad. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 4