WR Henry Ruggs involved in serious car accident

.Buzz

1 minute ago, Derptacular said:

from his wiki bio:

Ruggs credits his late friend Roderic Scott with encouraging him to play football in high school. Scott died in a car accident at 17 years of age, and Ruggs honors him with a three-fingered salute after every touchdown because Scott wore number 3 on the basketball court.

This infuriates me. What a selfish hypocrite. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

This infuriates me. What a selfish hypocrite. 

It is awful and Ruggs should have called for a driver, but let's also remember that Ruggs likely feels just as bad for what occurred.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished.  He absolutely should face some form of punishment.  But I think too often people forget that mistakes truly do happen, even mistakes that were 100% avoidable.  This shouldn't define Ruggs as a person, and imprisoning him for 20+ years is not going to dissuade others from drinking-and-drinking.   

• Like 3

Just now, iknowcool said:

It is awful and Ruggs should have called for a driver, but let's also remember that Ruggs likely feels just as bad for what occurred.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished.  He absolutely should face some form of punishment.  But I think too often people forget that mistakes truly do happen, even mistakes that were 100% avoidable.  This shouldn't define Ruggs as a person, and imprisoning him for 20+ years is not going to dissuade others from drinking-and-drinking.   

Eh but at what point do we stop coddling the wealthy? He should be punished as anyone else is for it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

...but let's also remember that Ruggs likely feels just as bad for what occurred.

Yeaaaaaa I don't give a single damn about how he "feels". Dude just murdered someone because he was too naive, lazy, carless and overall dumb. No sympathy whatsoever. Zero.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yeaaaaaa I don't give a single damn about how he "feels". Dude just murdered someone because he was too naive, lazy, carless and overall dumb. No sympathy whatsoever. Zero.

And I absolutely understand why you would feel that way.  You don't have to care about how he feels.  I'm just arguing that it shouldn't define him as a person, and that locking him up for decades won't solve the very real problem that exists in this country.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That is absolutely insane.

I won’t comment much on the fairness of the punishment for Stallworth other than to say I think it should have been much more, even if the person he hit had survived.

That said there were a few factor in Stallworth’s case that aren’t always talked about. The person he hit had ran in front of him to cross the street in an area pedestrians weren’t supposed to be. It was unclear if he tripped in the street as Stallworth approached or if he fell when he saw Stallworths car and tried to avoid it, or if he didn’t trip at all and was just jogging. There were witnesses to the accident because the victim was crossing the street to catch a bus, but apparently the stories didn’t match. Idk what happened there.

Stallworth was going about 50 in a 40 and also called 911 and IIRC attempted to render aid. That coupled with the fact that the victim was not supposed to be in the street made a trial a bit sticky from what I remember about that, Stallworth also paid the victims family a hefty sum.

Edited by Dome