WR Henry Ruggs involved in serious car accident

.Buzz

24 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I haven't, but he was averaging 3 catches a game. Superstar seems a bit of hyperbole. He was turning into a good deep threat, but not all around WR. He was basically becoming D Jax.

The numbers didn’t do him justice. He was gonna be really good. One of the best deep threats in the league off 3 or 4 targets a game. And only 22. You can’t replace that. Man why are we so cursed. Things go right for 2 weeks and then this.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The numbers didn’t do him justice. He was gonna be really good. One of the best deep threats in the league off 3 or 4 targets a game. And only 22. You can’t replace that. Man why are we so cursed. Things go right for 2 weeks and then this.

The numbers never did D Jax justice either, but he wasn't a good all around WR. Regardless, it is hard to replace what a really good deep threat does, even if they aren't a good all around WR.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

The numbers never did D Jax justice either, but he wasn't a good all around WR. Regardless, it is hard to replace what a really good deep threat does, even if they aren't a good all around WR.

Ruggs was catching contested passes over Xavien Howard a month ago bro 😭. But yeah he’s not replaceable. Hard to see us not taking a step back on offense.

31 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

I don’t like comparing to the Donte Stallworth situation. 

Donte was drunk, slept it off, and drove home in the morning. He was still barely over the limit and hit a pedestrian crossing a highway where he shouldn’t have been. It was dumb and negligent but it was a tragic accident in a situation think most people are capable of putting themselves in. 

what Ruggs allegedly did was extremely dangerous and far more calculated. Stallworth tried to do the right thing he just woke up 30 minutes too early. 

Also from what I hear, the person jaywalking was also drunk and it was doubtful Stallworth could even avoid it had been a few ticks under the limit. 

2 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

I also thought pac man Jones killed someone drunk driving but didn’t. Crazy how Mandela effect works.

Without looking it up - my memory tells me it was his girlfriend who died by falling out of a truck while drunk. But thats what google is for, haha

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Ruggs was catching contested passes over Xavien Howard a month ago bro 😭. But yeah he’s not replaceable. Hard to see us not taking a step back on offense.

On the plus side, it's looking like a pretty solid WR class. And you could sign Courtland Sutton/DJ Chark/Godwin after the season. Nobody outside Raider fandom thinks they had any chance this year anyway. It is what it is. Not saying you are far away, but it wasn't happening this year even if Ruggs plays 17 games and the Gruden fiasco never happened. The Ravens and Bills are better, and the powerhouse teams in the NFC are much better. The Raiders are still 1 good offseason away.

And I've seen D Jax make contested catches on prime Patrick Peterson. He's still just a good deep threat.

Edited by Jeezla

19 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

It's a Class B felony in Nevada with a minimum sentence of 2 years in prison (max of 20).  Maybe one of the legal eagles around here ( @jrry32) want to chime in, but very rarely do you see a DA willing to plead down a felony that results in the death of an innocent anything below manslaughter, but by my understanding of vehicle codes related to DUI (which is relatively extensive because I had a family member who was killed by a drunk driver) if there is alcohol involved there would have to be a serious hole in the DA's case to get them to plead down homicide to manslaughter when the offender was so clearly negligent and capable of preventing the altercation.  This is - and would/should be looked at significantly differently - than causing a death due to reckless driving (e.g. excessive speeding, etc.).

They aren’t pleading down. His best case scenario is to cut a deal to get the minimum if he pleads guilty. With a victim and it being clear negligence and it being high profile, the DA would be insane. I also think a provision in the statute is that it’s immune to probation and plea bargaining. 

He’s doing time 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Without looking it up - my memory tells me it was his girlfriend who died by falling out of a truck while drunk. But thats what google is for, haha

You might be thinking of Chris Henry, his college and pro teammate. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

It's a Class B felony in Nevada with a minimum sentence of 2 years in prison (max of 20).  Maybe one of the legal eagles around here ( @jrry32) want to chime in, but very rarely do you see a DA willing to plead down a felony that results in the death of an innocent anything below manslaughter, but by my understanding of vehicle codes related to DUI (which is relatively extensive because I had a family member who was killed by a drunk driver) if there is alcohol involved there would have to be a serious hole in the DA's case to get them to plead down homicide to manslaughter when the offender was so clearly negligent and capable of preventing the altercation.  This is - and would/should be looked at significantly differently - than causing a death due to reckless driving (e.g. excessive speeding, etc.).

I was wondering about this, too.  Is it known that he took a breathalyzer, or have blood drawn at the hospital, or was he charged with DUI for declining a breathalyzer? 

5 minutes ago, lancerman said:

They aren’t pleading down. His best case scenario is to cut a deal to get the minimum if he pleads guilty. With a victim and it being clear negligence and it being high profile, the DA would be insane. I also think a provision in the statute is that it’s immune to probation and plea bargaining. 

He’s doing time 

The Cowboys have a member who is an attorney in Nevada. I think a defense lawyer if not mistaken. Ive already pinged him for an update on his thoughts - Ill make sure to post them here if he responds. 

Edited by Matts4313

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

The Cowboys have a member who is an attorney in Nevada. I think a defense lawyer if not mistaken. Ive already pinged him for an update on his thoughts - Ill make sure to post them here if he responds. 

Yeah keep updates on this. I know what the statute says, but it’s better to get intel from someone who deals with the state 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Hard to say since nothing has been established yet. As I mentioned before, a lot can just depend on the judge that you get. The prosecutor as well. 

It depends on the judge, and the local climate at the time. I had a very good friend serve 4 years for DUI in Las Vegas recently. There were no fatalities or accidents involved. My friend apparently had a string of DUI charges in a different state from a decade or more earlier. He never got them cleared from his record but assumed they were no longer a problem. Then he got hooked on pills and really shouldn't have been driving. I had to take over once driving back to Las Vegas from the speedway when he was weaving all over the place and clearly a danger on the road. His girlfriend was with us and told me he drives like that all the time, that she can never relax but he won't allow her to be the driver. This was during one of my month long visits to town. I moved from Las Vegas more than a decade ago after 24 years.

I couldn't convince him to get help. Then months later I found out he was in jail for DUI. The timing could not have been worse for him, because a child had been killed by a drunk driver a couple of weeks before my friend was sentenced. It was a very high profile case locally. My friend expected one year or less but ended up with many multiples of that. 

I have no concern for Ruggs whatsoever. So many morons on the road at that hour. I drive at 3 AMish all the time, especially when I lived in Las Vegas. I have had to save my own life several times, steering away from obviously impaired drivers. The most recent example was on I-95 here in the Miami area but others were in Las Vegas. Fortunately I am always at my best and most alert at those hours, for whatever reason. At 8 AM I'd have no chance.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

On the plus side, it's looking like a pretty solid WR class. And you could sign Courtland Sutton/DJ Chark/Godwin after the season. Nobody outside Raider fandom thinks they had any chance this year anyway. It is what it is. Not saying you are far away, but it wasn't happening this year even if Ruggs plays 17 games and the Gruden fiasco never happened. The Ravens and Bills are better, and the powerhouse teams in the NFC are much better. The Raiders are still 1 good offseason away.

And I've seen D Jax make contested catches on prime Patrick Peterson. He's still just a good deep threat.

Maybe you’re right. I just wanted us to make the playoffs lol. It’s been so long. And our young players killing people and throwing away their lives is not helping.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

That was Chris Henry, former Bengals WR and braid afficianado.