2022 College Football Playoff Rankings Discussion

beekay414

I am all for an expanded playoff. What I want more than anything though it is to not see the conference/network money chain have any factor. You have ESPN putting on an hour long show every week now. A Network that has a stake in the pot with other networks. And you are supposed to have a neutral committee. Are viewers going to care to see Cincinnati in the playoffs over some of these other schools? Follow the money on that. On top of that you have the drama with ESPN and the conference expansion stuff from before the season. Neuter any power ESPN has, come up with a expansion model that has a method, and let’s move on from this.

As for the Alabama argument, it doesn’t really matter in the long run. If they went out, they are in. If they lose to Georgia or another game, they are out. For the in-between stage though, it is interesting that they are the one team that is not affected by a loss. The eye test, not résumé is basically their argument at this point. Again, it doesn’t really matter in the long run, but it’s interesting that a committee can always just default to an eye test argument when they try to allegedly come up with objective standards. Don’t even lie to the public and act like there are standards, honestly. They are going to pick the teams that they want based off of whatever criteria they so choose. Which is fine, let’s just not pretend like it’s something that it’s not.

Edited by NateDawg

To be clear, Alabama and some other teams are better than Michigan State in my mind. But if we are talking about résumé, you can’t justify having Alabama at 2 and Michigan State at 3. Then you have Cincinnati down at 6. If we are talking eye test, you can be consistent and bump Michigan State down several pegs. But instead, they choose to elevate Alabama to 2 as the only one loss team team, utilizing this eye test. I don’t care about what the end result is as long as it’s consistent. I’d really love to just sit in these meetings and listen to how they arrive at their decisions.

• Like 2

I'm really just surprised that they have OU so low. We just have to hope that UGA beats Bama in the SEC Championship to ensure they don't find a way in the playoffs. Aside from that, I would love to be sure that OU doesn't get in either b/c they're still putting up ****ters against bad teams this late into the season. UC is starting to sputter at the wrong time. They need style points and badly. 

11 hours ago, mse326 said:

I mean they have said from the beginning it isn't just resume it is also eye test. And they've also generally said they don't even go to resume stuff if eye test provides a clear difference (that was the OSU over Penn St a few years ago). You can disagree with their eye test determination, I personally don't, but that has always been the case

Serious question:

How can you say Alabama passes the eye test more than other teams, to vault all the way to #2, when they lost to a mediocre Texas A&M team and struggled to beat a pretty bad Florida team?

I personally don't fault the four teams that they picked, but the order is always funny to me. The committee's penalizing past teams for losses and yet not penalizing Alabama and keeping them at #2 is comical.

29 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Serious question:

How can you say Alabama passes the eye test more than other teams, to vault all the way to #2, when they lost to a mediocre Texas A&M team and struggled to beat a pretty bad Florida team?

I personally don't fault the four teams that they picked, but the order is always funny to me. The committee's penalizing past teams for losses and yet not penalizing Alabama and keeping them at #2 is comical.

Florida wasn't pretty bad at the time and they were in control most of that game. Florida came on late. They basically had a bad quarter.

And it is more than two games. Every team has had games they have struggled or looked off. My answer is that watching them they and UGA are clearly the best two teams in the country. Maybe you don't agree and that is fine, but that is what I see and clearly what the committee saw.

Also what do you mean they are the only ones not getting penalized for a loss. Unless you think all undefeated teams should be above all 1 loss teams then you know it isn't that simple. So do you say they are the only ones not penalized because they are at 2 instead of 3? Because all that is the committee looking at Bama and MSU and saying Bama is clearly the better team, and frankly I don't disagree with that.

7 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Florida wasn't pretty bad at the time

Hard disagree. They BARELY beat a bad Miami team 24-20, then proceeded to absolutely wreck a bunch of dumpster squads in Tennessee Martin, Towson, Florida Atlantic, and South Florida...then they actually played a real team in Alabama.

and they were in control most of that game. Florida came on late. They basically had a bad quarter.

So?

And it is more than two games. Every team has had games they have struggled or looked off. My answer is that watching them they and UGA are clearly the best two teams in the country. Maybe you don't agree and that is fine, but that is what I see and clearly what the committee saw.

I think Georgia is head and shoulders above everyone right now, and I think Alabama has looked like a legit title contender at points, and looked like they could be a 3 loss team. Unfortunately, they only play 1 more ranked team in Auburn until the SEC Title Game.

Also what do you mean they are the only ones not getting penalized for a loss. Unless you think all undefeated teams should be above all 1 loss teams then you know it isn't that simple. So do you say they are the only ones not penalized because they are at 2 instead of 3? Because all that is the committee looking at Bama and MSU and saying Bama is clearly the better team, and frankly I don't disagree with that.

At this juncture, it'll play itself out. MSU still has to play OSU and Penn State, and if Alabama wins out (as does UGA), they'll have to play one another. That said, I personally always lean towards sending the early message that:

1. Undefeated trumps 1 loss in 99% of cases

2. Head to head and strength of schedule matter (which is why I have zero issue with Oregon over OSU. They beat OSU on the road and have a much more difficult SoS at this juncture)

3. Conference Titles matter (not a factor yet)

The OU thing will sort itself out. If they go undefeated, they'll make it.

One of MSU or OSU will wreck the other, and IF Alabama loses to UGA, they're out too (I'd assume with 2 losses).

If Oregon wins out, they're probably in

UC essentially needs Alabama to lose to UGA, Oregon or OSU to lose, OU to lose at least once, and Wake to lose at least once

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Hard disagree. They BARELY beat a bad Miami team 24-20, then proceeded to absolutely wreck a bunch of dumpster squads in Tennessee Martin, Towson, Florida Atlantic, and South Florida...then they actually played a real team in Alabama.

they uh haven't played miami in two years

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I'm really just surprised that they have OU so low. We just have to hope that UGA beats Bama in the SEC Championship to ensure they don't find a way in the playoffs. Aside from that, I would love to be sure that OU doesn't get in either b/c they're still putting up ****ters against bad teams this late into the season. UC is starting to sputter at the wrong time. They need style points and badly. 

Oklahoma will be in as long as they win out.  They'll have 2.5 quality wins over Baylor, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State at that point, plus whoever they'd play in the Big 12 championship.

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Also, if Wake wins out and wins big in every game, do they get in w/ a little help?

Ultimately this won't matter as the season plays out but useless banter is fun at times.

Probably not.  I think they need a LOT of help to do so.  The ACC being in a down year doesn't help.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Oklahoma will be in as long as they win out.  They'll have 2.5 quality wins over Baylor, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State at that point, plus whoever they'd play in the Big 12 championship.

I kinda think OU needs a little style points assuming the cards fall in Bama beating UGA (give a spot to both), Oregon winning out and OSU/MSU winning out. Plus if UC gets their **** together and starts blowing people out, they need to be in the mix as well. OU has just looked awful in many games this year and even recent ones and the committee is obviously seeing that. This could turn out interesting, for sure.

This was bad.  Could Alabama get in with another loss, if they beat Georgia? Does Ohio State just jump Oregon, if they beat MSU?  It's weird.  Cinci got the shaft, with SMU and Houston.  They need ND to win out.   I know most of it will sort itself out, like it almost always does, but this just looks like a way to push for expansion.  I don't understand the rhyme or reason, outside of personal interests.