diehardlionfan

How should the Lions approach the draft  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your preferred choice?

• Ignore QB in this draft
    • Draft a QB with the first pick
    • Draft a QB with the first from LAR
    • Draft a QB in the second or subsequent rounds

They are so bad. Truly, they are, Lions should just go off there big board. Doesn't even matter position. This teams lacks players, dogs, talent so bad, just draft the best players and collect. This is what I'd do. Idk if a QB is going to be considered really the best player when we select.

I'd say go find a QB, Jared Goff experiment is over. He'll imo, likely be cut after June 1st.(Just my thoughts). They'll bring in another placer QB, Again just my thoughts on what they'll(Lions staff) will do. Idk if they're ready to tie themselves to a early QB selection yet. Hard to put a rookie into this situation and expect them to thrive.

* Side * I'd be trying to get involved with Miami and Houston to get Tua. It admits we should of just drafted him but it wasn't really this staffs mistake.

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 2

I'm also of the opinion of taking the best player available. If it is QB so be it, however I don't like any of the qb's coming out this year in the first round. If Corral was there in the second, I'd probably take him or maybe take him with the Rams first, depending on the WR or D that was there.  I'd also be bringing him in as the backup and give Goff one more year. Not that Goff is the guy, but I wouldn't want to send Corral out there with these WR and kill his confidence.

• Like 1

If they think a QB is worth the pick, take him. 

You can never guarantee that you'll be in position to draft a QB next year or that there will be one that you like. 

I don't think that there will be one worth the pick, so just go by the big board or try to trade down with someone that wants a QB. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

They are so bad. Truly, they are, Lions should just go off there big board. Doesn't even matter position. This teams lacks players, dogs, talent so bad, just draft the best players and collect. This is what I'd do. Idk if a QB is going to be considered really the best player when we select.

I'd say go find a QB, Jared Goff experiment is over. He'll imo, likely be cut after June 1st.(Just my thoughts). They'll bring in another placer QB, Again just my thoughts on what they'll(Lions staff) will do. Idk if they're ready to tie themselves to a early QB selection yet. Hard to put a rookie into this situation and expect them to thrive.

* Side * I'd be trying to get involved with Miami and Houston to get Tua. It admits we should of just drafted him but it wasn't really this staffs mistake.

If the Lions acquire Tua from the Dolphins would that not mean that the Dolphins want to move on from him and therefore, we shouldn't have drafted him in the first place (since his first team is trying to replace him with someone else). Just because they might be able to do that with Watson doesn't exonerate the case - Neither Burrow or Herbert are being talked about as being replaced by a veteran QB. 

• Like 1

I initially did not want to go QB at all in this draft but if we have more games like this past weekend, this staff will be in the hot seat quicker than expected.  I think we need something to plan for in the future but I also don't think a QB is worth the top pick or top 3 pick wherever we end up.  There are some intriguing options that likely won't be there when we pick with the Rams pick (Corral, Willis) and a few that have a chance to be there (Strong, Pickett, Ridder, Howell)  I have a feeling we may end up with back to back picks with the Rams at 32 and us at 33 and I would rather draft a QB at 32 to get the extra year if we are going to draft one.  If none of those guys interest our staff, we have to figure out if its Goff or the WRs that are causing the biggest issue and I am leaning towards Goff.  This staff can't ride on potential for too long if they continue to hitch their careers to the success of Goff unless they have a surprising turn around.  I am still not willing to put all of the blame on Goff but its a big risk to put your career on the line for Goff.

12 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

If the Lions acquire Tua from the Dolphins would that not mean that the Dolphins want to move on from him and therefore, we shouldn't have drafted him in the first place (since his first team is trying to replace him with someone else). Just because they might be able to do that with Watson doesn't exonerate the case - Neither Burrow or Herbert are being talked about as being replaced by a veteran QB. 

If I'm running Miami I'm not trading Tua plus more for Watson but hey... someone in Miami's organization thinks Watson is more than a "veteran QB". imo. Many would place him in that top 10 category before all the allegations. IMO ownership see's Watson as special so they're attempting to go for it.

Tua's tale will be told be by the end of the year really. He could play really poorly and I'd change my opinion, but for now he's done alright and I don't think he's the reason they're losing in Miami. Might be wrong, haven't hawked Miami games but outside looking in the defense looks more of an issue than Tua.

I think saying the Lions should of drafted Herbert(who clearly was the best pick then) is a stretch only cause if they were taking a QB then, it was almost for sure going to be Tua. So I guess that's why I suggest it's correcting a wrong.

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1

To be fair I have not watch a lot of the QBs play this year.  But from what I’ve seen I wouldn’t touch one of these guys before the 2nd.  Maybe with the last pick in the first but even with both of those picks I think we would be gambling just fill a position and passing on far superior talent that fills a need.

From what I’ve seen the only guys I’m interested in are Corral, Howell, and Strong.  All three have the look of a classic round 2 or 3 QB and any draft.

4 hours ago, Millenhater said:

To be fair I have not watch a lot of the QBs play this year.  But from what I’ve seen I wouldn’t touch one of these guys before the 2nd.  Maybe with the last pick in the first but even with both of those picks I think we would be gambling just fill a position and passing on far superior talent that fills a need.

From what I’ve seen the only guys I’m interested in are Corral, Howell, and Strong.  All three have the look of a classic round 2 or 3 QB and any draft.

Carson Strong has arm talent but has pretty poor mobility.  Also, at least one of his knees isn't in great shape.  Sam Howell could be interesting.  He looked great when he had talent around him but is struggling with less talent at RB and WR.  He has shown better mobility than most folks thought he had though.

One guy you left off who the jury is still out on is Malik Williams from Liberty.  He has arm talent and mobility.  He  hasn't shown out vs better teams like Syracuse but he doesn't have the best talent around him either.  The question about level of competition is valid with him.  I think he fits into the first round but where is still a bit of a mystery.  The Senior Bowl will be crucial for his draft stock.

5 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Carson Strong has arm talent but has pretty poor mobility.  Also, at least one of his knees isn't in great shape.  Sam Howell could be interesting.  He looked great when he had talent around him but is struggling with less talent at RB and WR.  He has shown better mobility than most folks thought he had though.

One guy you left off who the jury is still out on is Malik Williams from Liberty.  He has arm talent and mobility.  He  hasn't shown out vs better teams like Syracuse but he doesn't have the best talent around him either.  The question about level of competition is valid with him.  I think he fits into the first round but where is still a bit of a mystery.  The Senior Bowl will be crucial for his draft stock.

I left Willis off intentionally.  I’m not a fan.  He is toolsy QB for sure.  But I don’t think he’s any good.  Honestly if you can’t dominate at that level I just don’t see it at the NFL level.  I think Howell is my guy and I’m using the term “my guy” pretty loosely here.  I don’t really like any of them. I didn’t know that about Strong.  I heard he had a knee issue from high school didn’t know it was still an issue or that he had another/more issues with it.  I just don’t think we should force it in this draft.  

I think Goff sucks.  Like he truly sucks, but somehow I think he can lead us to 6-7 wins if he has some weapons and the Oline is healthy...and a good defense... all I’m saying is I think next year we should see a better Jared Goff and just hope that the 2023 draft has some QBs

• my latest mock

Aidan Hutchinson
    EDGE Michigan
    trade icon
  • DET
    Daxton Hill
    S Michigan

• DET
    Nakobe Dean
    LB Georgia

• DET
    Zion Nelson