Eternals MCU - *Spoilers*

TecmoSuperJoe

General thoughts, which I'll even spoiler tag just in case:

Spoiler

Before heading in I had let myself get a bit concerned regarding the Rotten Tomatoes score. Apparently this film is pretty divisive, and I feared that even with Chloe Zhao at the helm it was going to potentially be pretty bad. After my first viewing though I can say I don't understand at all the score that it's received this far from the critics community on that site. I really liked this film. I kept waiting for the hammer to come down, and for it to all fall apart, but that never happened. I can understand a few of the knocks on it in regards to pacing, but that was about it (and really only in the beginning to me). I was really impressed with the visuals, character depth of a large cast, acting, and invested in the narrative at 2 1/2 hours without ever having to think of the time remaining. There definitely is an emphasis on story more than usual at the sacrifice of a little bit of action sequences in addition to more conversation/exposition, but it didn't bother me since I cared about what was happening on the screen regardless. As much as I liked Shang Chi, I'd probably put this one above it, and it runs circles around Black Widow definitely. There are two post credit scenes and the second one got me super excited as it was actually something I wanted to see. If I wasn't so busy I'd go see this one again for sure. The cool thing about this one that it was a Marvel movie, but at the same time it wasn't. Eternals feels a bit off compared to other MCU movies not in that it's the most unique story ever, but more so how it's approached. Anyway, go see it. 

• Like 1

Wont see this until Saturday afternoon :( 

Yea the audience scores are getting bombed by racists who don't like that a bunch of cultural diverse actors are getting prominent roles. Lets leave it at that though and not discuss those scores...

Also quick reminder to use the spoiler tag (that nice eyeball icon) until most people have gotten a chance to see it. I will mark the thread for spoilers when the time is right!

1 hour ago, bootsy said:

Or maybe the movie just isn't that good. 🙄

Via Rotten Tomatoes? Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is at 78% fresh lmao while the audience score has it at 53%. So yes, their critic reviews do baffle the mind at times. 

From a bigger consensus I looked into with Eternals than the reviews posted on RT so far the the feeling is a lot more positive, and that's good enough for me. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

My thoughts. No real spoilers IMO but reader beware. I would hide it like OP but don’t know how. Mods feel free.

Spoiler

I liked it. Interesting story, good balance of humor, good acting, and I was a big fan of the final sequence. Mid tier MCU film for me.

It’s pitfalls are similar to Justice League’s where it is a movie that bit off more than it could chew. Between the 10 characters and telling a very unique origin story, it just seems impossible to fit in 1 film. Even if you make it too long. Although I’m not sure how else you could do it, the Eternals are just so far out compared to anything else in MCU so far.

It definitely doesn’t feel like a Marvel movie. This works for it and against it. Breath of fresh air and break from MCU formula is nice. However, it feels completely detached from the MCU outside of a few forced references.

• Like 2

I enjoyed it a lot. I had no idea what happened, but it was a lot of fun. Kit didn’t need to be in the movie, they could have saved him for a sequel/spin-off.

I am happy to report that I had no idea that was 

Spoiler

Harry Styles

It's not good.

Spoiler

I'll start with the positives. As usual, visuals are awesome, especially at the end. I didn't notice the acting one way or another so it was clearly fine. On paper, I think the story is fine. They brought in a ton of talent I like. I'm a big fan of Gemma Chan, always liked Kumail's comedy, the only time I'd seen Don Lee before this was in Train to Busan, where he's incredible, and of course Madden/Jolie are really talented. Kingo (Kumail) is easily the best part of the film, he's hilarious, and the movie is so much better when he's on screen, which makes it frustrating he literally walks away for the final fight.

Now, the rest: First, this doesn't feel like a MCU movie in the worst way. It felt like someone with a ton of money who likes superheroes put together an elite team (on and off screen) and said "Bring the Justice League to the MCU" except they don't know what makes a good superhero story. 

The biggest issue this movie has is the cast is too big, and they don't give you an immediate reason to care about any of them. Combine this with the fact that there are so many of them, and that time is limited, and it only makes this problem worse. I felt zero emotional connection to any character, and there's no emotional stakes because they're all replaceable and one note. Later in the movie they try to give some depth to a few of them, and it's just so minor and weak. The only two characters whose stories are remotely interesting are Druig and Phastos, and they basically immediately give up on those stories so we can move on with the film.

Moving on with this film is tough though, because it's such a drag to sit through. From the beginning we are jumping back and forth between timelines in a choppy way, and purely for exposition. They open with action scenes that are great visually but feel completely empty. In my opinion, when you have a huge cast of characters that no one knows about you need to find a way early on to give us a good reason to either care or be interested in at least one of them, and that doesn't happen here. Sersi is simply nice woman who loves humans. Ikaris is Superman if you made him as boring as his haters pretend he is. Sprite is just there until you get tidbits of depth later. Ajak leads...because. Gilgamesh is strong and likes Thena. Thena likes to fight. 

They give you a little depth for Sprite later, and try to make you care for Ikaris late in the film but by then it's too little too late. Honestly, there is no reason to care about seeing any of these characters again, and they don't feel like they fit the MCU in the slightest. There is no interaction between them and any current MCU character where you go "Oh wow, that'd be awesome to see."

Lastly, for a movie that feels so long, not a lot happens, and everything comes along so easily. Sersi, you're the leader now, talk to Arishem. I don't know how! Try listening. Okay, super easy, barely an inconvenience.

We need to stop Tiamut from surfacing but we aren't strong enough. We need una-mind. Can you build it? Yes, super easy, barely an inconvenience. 

Una-mind was destroyed! Now what? Super easy, barely an inconvenience, I'll build it a different way.

We need to get the Arishem ball out of you now Sersi. Don't kill her! Okay, super easy, barely an inconvenience. 

Tiamut is surfacing, Sersi stop him! Okay, super easy barely an inconvenience. 

This happens time and time again, and reminds me of Ragnarok in the sense that the movie had HUGE stakes, yet it didn't feel like it in the slightest.

Edited by Bullet Club