Eternals MCU - *Spoilers*

TecmoSuperJoe

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

MI:13/Midnight Sons...something to do with vampires which I can totally see the MCU branching off into...

Only thing at that point is Dane Whitman trying to reconnect with Sersi...does that continue to be a part of his story? I would hope so. 

At some point you'd think so, I'd imagine one of the main reasons for him giving in and using the Ebony Blade is to help him have a chance to find her.

But sounds like some detours along the way for both of them are planned.

Seems like the MCU is bringing in a lot of 'magical artifacts'. In this post-infinity stone saga, we've already seen the Darkhold, Ebony Blade, the Ten Rings, and probably more I can't think of right now. We are also almost certainly going to get All-Black the Necrosword in the next Thor as well. Think this means anything?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Seems like the MCU is bringing in a lot of 'magical artifacts'. In this post-infinity stone saga, we've already seen the Darkhold, Ebony Blade, the Ten Rings, and probably more I can't think of right now. We are also almost certainly going to get All-Black the Necrosword in the next Thor as well. Think this means anything?

Glad the saga’s McGuffins are a little more integral to characters and visually unique / more tangible. Should be able to stick around longer too than the stones did. Will be cool to see the legacy of these grow as they move from person to person.

A ton of beings they could pull in as a big bad if they want to build to it. Certainly would be a different route for them to go.

13 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Glad the saga’s McGuffins are a little more integral to characters and visually unique / more tangible. Should be able to stick around longer too than the stones did. Will be cool to see the legacy of these grow as they move from person to person.

A ton of beings they could pull in as a big bad if they want to build to it. Certainly would be a different route for them to go.

I am steadfast in believing that 'artifacts' or mcguffins in movies and such should be well defined. They shouldn't just make you all powerful or whatever. Marvel didn't do that too well with Shang Chi, so I hope they do better with the Ebony Blade.

As far as All-Black, introducing that would open up the possibility of going down the Knull storyline, which would be brave territory to tread. Maybe Marvel leaves that door open for Sony and Venom to explore?

23 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I am steadfast in believing that 'artifacts' or mcguffins in movies and such should be well defined. They shouldn't just make you all powerful or whatever. Marvel didn't do that too well with Shang Chi, so I hope they do better with the Ebony Blade.

As far as All-Black, introducing that would open up the possibility of going down the Knull storyline, which would be brave territory to tread. Maybe Marvel leaves that door open for Sony and Venom to explore?

Yeah the powers of the ten rings could use a little definition, looks like they are propping them up to be more from the post credits. Maybe get to see him explore what they can do more in a sequel?

The demony sounds accompanying the Ebony Blade made me glad they are starting it off with a “hey this isn’t all great”moment, hinting at the dark future for the user.

They definitely opened up the possibility to it in Venom 2. I suppose it really matters if Venom is here to stay in the MCU or not. I think Sony/Disney have something worked out and will announce it after the Spider-man release, better to make people think this could be the last one money-wise. Though I suppose if it’s two separate universes within the multiverse, they both can use it. But there are rumors of Spider-woman getting a joint venture too.

I enjoyed the movie. Didn't think it was the best, but it's certainly not the worst and certainly not awful. It is a very different sort of team-up movie, and i think people will dislike it for that reason. They do a good job of building up this team and then tearing it apart in a more convincing way than they did for Captain America: Civil War. I thought that Gemma Chan and Lia McHugh really stood out in their roles, and while Madden was just okay, at least at the beginning, it makes more sense as you watch it why he is the way that he is and they actually bring his arc to a nice end, well, the very end is just okay of it, but in general a nice end. And two interesting post credit scenes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

I enjoyed the movie. Didn't think it was the best, but it's certainly not the worst and certainly not awful. It is a very different sort of team-up movie, and i think people will dislike it for that reason. They do a good job of building up this team and then tearing it apart in a more convincing way than they did for Captain America: Civil War. I thought that Gemma Chan and Lia McHugh really stood out in their roles, and while Madden was just okay, at least at the beginning, it makes more sense as you watch it why he is the way that he is and they actually bring his arc to a nice end, well, the very end is just okay of it, but in general a nice end. And two interesting post credit scenes.

Did they though? Because I'd argue they did a terrible job of it.

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

Did they though? Because I'd argue they did a terrible job of it.

I think they did, because it's not really a team. It's people who knew each other from a long time ago and have gone their own separate ways. And how the people have interacted with society in some ways shows how they fall in line with the Celestial plan. Like I said, I think this shows a fractured team and the reason for a fractured team much better than Civil War does. And that it's not a team that fully comes back together.  Such as Ikaris leaving Cersi, he does that because she's so connected to humanity that he can't keep the secret from her. And he has to kill Ajak when she decides they should stop the emergence because that would mean that he left Cersi for no reason, which is why he can't kill Cersi at the end.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I think they did, because it's not really a team. It's people who knew each other from a long time ago and have gone their own separate ways. And how the people have interacted with society in some ways shows how they fall in line with the Celestial plan. Like I said, I think this shows a fractured team and the reason for a fractured team much better than Civil War does. And that it's not a team that fully comes back together.  Such as Ikaris leaving Cersi, he does that because she's so connected to humanity that he can't keep the secret from her. And he has to kill Ajak when she decides they should stop the emergence because that would mean that he left Cersi for no reason, which is why he can't kill Cersi at the end.

They spent 6,500 years together as a team before basically falling out in a day, and even then almost none of them were completely separate after that. I'd argue they weren't even fractured until the third act of the movie, and even that is poorly done. They only went their different ways because Ajak basically told them to, and that was only because Druig wouldn't sit by idly anymore. No one had any real issues with each other, and no one knew about the Celestial plan except Ajak/Ikaris. Then when they learn about it only Ikaris is really the only one who supports keeping it going, and he hides it at first. Sprite drools over Ikaris instead of having a true opinion, and Kingo goes home.

On top of that, these characters had so little depth to them it was hard to care about anything they did. You can literally describe their entire character in a few words. Sersi loves humans. Sprite loves Ikaris. Gilgamesh loves Thena. Thena loves fighting but has memory problems. Ajak is the leader. Makkari is deaf and likes Druig. They immediately give up on the two most interesting plots of the movie (Phastos giving up on humanity, and Druig removing free will to protect humans) in telling manner (not showing) simply so we can get to the final act. If you're looking to build interesting characters and dynamics between them this is absolutely one of the worst MCU movies at doing so.

37 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

They spent 6,500 years together as a team before basically falling out in a day, and even then almost none of them were completely separate after that. I'd argue they weren't even fractured until the third act of the movie, and even that is poorly done. They only went their different ways because Ajak basically told them to, and that was only because Druig wouldn't sit by idly anymore. No one had any real issues with each other, and no one knew about the Celestial plan except Ajak/Ikaris. Then when they learn about it only Ikaris is really the only one who supports keeping it going, and he hides it at first. Sprite drools over Ikaris instead of having a true opinion, and Kingo goes home.

On top of that, these characters had so little depth to them it was hard to care about anything they did. You can literally describe their entire character in a few words. Sersi loves humans. Sprite loves Ikaris. Gilgamesh loves Thena. Thena loves fighting but has memory problems. Ajak is the leader. Makkari is deaf and likes Druig. They immediately give up on the two most interesting plots of the movie (Phastos giving up on humanity, and Druig removing free will to protect humans) in telling manner (not showing) simply so we can get to the final act. If you're looking to build interesting characters and dynamics between them this is absolutely one of the worst MCU movies at doing so.

They went their separate ways because their job was done and it was clear yeah that they were starting to disagree heavily. Also Athena’s condition became known at the same time, so they had a couple reasons to split.

They were a family that despite small differences would come back together. Some closer than others.

Sprites thing comes out of left field but when you tie it to her deeper anger at forever being a child it makes sense why she would resent Sersi for being with this perfect person. And why she would glorify Ikaris and his looks/powers. He’s both what she wanted to be and what she desired to be with once she was. And Kingo was for the Celestial awakening, he didn’t just nope for no reason. He clearly states he doesn’t think it’s fair to disrupt the order of things but he loved them all more than his beliefs. I think a lot of this is just examples of how humanity is and a lot of the film is the eternals being very human.

As for the last part, I can see where you are coming from but it’s kinda just movies in general. Especially ensemble movies. I think they had a choice of splitting the narrative to show their history here and seed why they are the way they are. Or spend all the time in the present exploring those ideas, which I agree I would’ve liked to see a little more. Neither is a new take for the MCU. If you bastardize Phastos’ you get to Ultron, if you follow Druid’s path you kinda get to what Loki was talking about. Both have been mined before, just not in a loving, meaning the best sorta way. I think playing off the past made sense because it did sit them in the history fairly well, and it made the final act feel better. Had they spent the whole movie in the 2020s, you lose a lot of the character context and the celestial thing feels like a crappy tack on ending. Whereas how it is now it was like “oh ok yeah this has been building while they did all this stuff for thousands of years.”

I enjoyed that it wasn’t a black and white story. No one was right, they all just had their own perspectives. The celestials, eternals and even the deviants kinda (once you realize why they are doing what they are doing).

I don’t think it was perfect by any stretch and many MCU movies were better from a pure entertainment perspective. But think it has gotten a lot more hate than it deserves, personally. Like themes, dialog, acting, visuals were way better in this than others.

• Like 1