Eternals MCU - *Spoilers*

TecmoSuperJoe

I've avoided all spoilers, except hearing that it's bottom tier. So hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised with my low expectations. I know nothing about the Eternals. So here's some notes as I watch.

• This gives off bad DC vibes from the beginning, just with better lighting.
  • They even ripped off Superman and Flash right off the bat.
  • I didn't realize we had both Rob Stark and Jon Snow in this.
  • So far this doesn't feel like it fits in with the MCU.
  • I like that they brought up not intervening with Thanos and other wars and that Thanos wasn't "a human conflict". Incredibly weak excuse.
  • So far this feels like BvS; way too many characters without a proper introduction. Only difference is I don't know who tf any of these characters are.
  • Ajak died and I don't care one bit.
  • Why do I feel like Superman/Rob Stark being the baddy will be a/the twist?
  • I like Brian Tyree Henry in Atlanta, but I can only see him as Paper Boi in this.
  • Memories make them go crazy? What?
  • I'm not even halfway through and I already know I won't be watching any sequels barring a complete 180 in the 2nd half.
  • Hold up. How would the celestial consume humans for energy if the planet blows up when it exits the core?
  • This movie is far too big unless it's the first thing in building up to Galactus.
  • Arishem's motivation is whack.
  • So Druig can control people and he chooses to live in the Amazon with servants? Feels like a less motivated version of the WW84 villain.
  • They've specifically brought up Strange and other Avengers at a few different moments. Why not get their help if you're going to reference them that much?
  • Karun may be the best part of this movie.
  • Now they're straight up calling Ikaris Superman/Clark. Surprised DC didn't sue or something.
  • So the plan to win is to create an Eternals Voltron?
  • Oh look, Ikaris turned bad. Who would've guessed...
  • So not interfering with Thanos makes even less sense now since he delayed the emergence.
  • Can't say I saw the Sprite heel turn coming. I figured it was a gambit against Ikaris.
  • So at the end, Ikaris and Sprite just suddenly have a change of heart and go Voltron with the group? Weren't they required to have bracelets?
  • Bro. Did they really have Ikaris kill himself by flying into the sun??? What's next, Sprite going to drown herself in a vat at the Coke factory?
  • Sersi getting new powers that don't make sense in making Sprite human.
  • Ok, after seeing Arishem show up at Earth and take the Eternals away, I feel like Galactus would just be repetitive. That's a shot that should've been saved for him. The wow factor is gone if they do it again.
  • Pip looked like crap.
  • I don't know crap about the comics, but why doesn't Starfox look anything like Thanos?
  • Props to Disney+ for including a 'skip credits' button.
  • I don't know who Kit is suppose to be nor who talked to him.
  • Nope, not watching that sequel.
  • What a waste of Kit, Angelina, Gemma, and a couple others in the MCU.

Definitely a bottom tier MCU movie. Bottom 3 for sure.

7 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I don't know crap about the comics, but why doesn't Starfox look anything like Thanos?

He doesn't have the Deviant gene, Thanos does. However I think in the MCU they are going to adoptive route. 

7 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I don't know who Kit is suppose to be nor who talked to him.

The Black Knight. That was Mahershala Ali's Blade talking to him. 

8 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

He doesn't have the Deviant gene, Thanos does. However I think in the MCU they are going to adoptive route. 

So the Deviant gene makes you into Grimace?

9 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

The Black Knight. That was Mahershala Ali's Blade talking to him. 

I had to look up Black Knight. Can't say that I'm interested. I feel like Kit should've been introduced in Blade's movie rather than have Ali be a voice over in a post credits scene.

51 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

So the Deviant gene makes you into Grimace?

Eh kinda. In the comics the Deviants and Eternals are more... living races than in the movie. Deviants are a cousin species to Eternals. Like how Neanderthals are technically Homo Sapiens like us but have different physical characteristics. Thanos is born of two Eternal parents. His mom actually tried to kill him when he came out all purple and bumpy but daddy stopped her. He grew up an anti-social pacifist only hanging our with his brother Eros. He then dabbled in nihilism before falling in love with the physical embodiment of death and broke completely bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:
1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

I had to look up Black Knight. Can't say that I'm interested. I feel like Kit should've been introduced in Blade's movie rather than have Ali be a voice over in a post credits scene.

Blade and The Blake Knight aren’t a usual go to pairing. End credits seem like it could be the case and it has happened. But I don’t know if Dane/Kit will even be in the Blade movie. Maybe it’ll be the other way around.

There hasn’t been a Marvel event where they announce new stuff yet, I’d imagine they’ll announce a movie or show for him at the next one. If he is staying supernatural, Dane makes sense as the more grounded human character in that realm like he was for Eternals. When you have like Strange, Blade, Moon Knight, Werewolf by Night, and all of that it makes sense to have one.

Supposedly they shot the thing with Kit and figured out who they wanted to have talk to him later.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

This movie sucks. Bad. Like worst marvel movie bad. 

edit: some of the acting is very good. And I laughed a good amount. The plot and movie though? Trash. 

Yep. I'm incredibly easy to please when it comes to movies (especially in comparison to a lot of posters on this site), but it was bad. I feel like there were two good movies somewhere in there; however, they crammed a really long, bad movie into 3 hours. Didn't need Jolie and the Korean fellow's characters at all or the evolving deviant. Had no clue what the hell was happening with Cersei's powers. Kit's character was the most oddly placed character who had no reason for existing in this film other than to get him into the MCU. 

Surprised so many people didn't like this.. maybe it's because I went in expecting to hate it, but I thought it was fine. Loved all the actors, story was meh but better than some other Marvel films (1st 2 Thor movies come to mind immediately)

I do think it would have worked as a show but I don't like investing that much time.. not ever going to watch Wandavision or Hawkeye for that reason

Only things I hated were the way Gilgamesh died, Kumail just dipping out and not coming back, and Sersei changing Sprite to a human

Edited by adamq
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, adamq said:

I do think it would have worked as a show but I don't like investing that much time.. not ever going to watch Wandavision or Hawkeye for that reason

You're doing yourself a disservice by not watching WandaVision or Loki. You'll probably be missing quite a bit of info for the next few movies.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

You're doing yourself a disservice by not watching WandaVision or Loki. You'll probably be missing quite a bit of info for the next few movies.

I watched Loki and Winter Soldier/Cap. Loki was great, WS/Cap was fine. For Wandavision I just listened to a podcast recap, will probably do the same for Hawkeye

7 hours ago, adamq said:

I watched Loki and Winter Soldier/Cap. Loki was great, WS/Cap was fine. For Wandavision I just listened to a podcast recap, will probably do the same for Hawkeye

WandaVision was the best of these so far, fringe top 10 MCU entry for me.

• Like 1