2021: The Offseason of Discontent

hrubes20

43 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't know how many different ways one group of people can say "we don't like baseball".

The % of jobs is grossly understated here. Going from 180 to 150 is a VERY significant cut. They already smoked dozens of other minor league teams (40+ I believe).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The % of jobs is grossly understated here. Going from 180 to 150 is a VERY significant cut. They already smoked dozens of other minor league teams (40+ I believe).

It's designed to:

1. Reduce overall player bargaining power by increasing the skill of the replacement player
  2. Reduce opportunities to get into pro ball following college, so that baseball's labor pool gets filled with Latin American players that have less leverage

And you're correct, they cut 40 teams last year. No word on how many jobs that was.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's designed to:

1. Reduce overall player bargaining power by increasing the skill of the replacement player

And let's not forget, the MLBPA has already shown in the past that they couldn't care less about minor league players. They're making a statement here and seeing if the MLBPA is too stupid to understand the ramifications of future jobs that they'll lose for players like themselves, ironically.

1. Reduce opportunities to get into pro ball following college

The pressure of post HS minor leagues and what that entails for a good portion of players who will never make it to the show and then lose out on the opportunity to capitalize on playing college ball (NAIA is an exception to this for 1 time professional athletes, but the NCAA DII is slowly killing this) since they're former pros, not to mention other things with this that I don't have the time to go into now but would happily go down this wormhole as a former 4 year college baseball player who played in both the NCAA and NAIA.

1. so that baseball's labor pool gets filled with Latin American players that have less leverage

The way things go down in the Dominican Republic are insane. We went down in college and played a lot of these academy teams, and the way these kids are taken advantage of by the head hunters and others are nothing short of circa 1900s Imperialism on things like medical care, income lost, etc.

It's no wonder so many of them lie about their age. If they aren't signed by a team by their 19th birthday, they're released. Happy Birthday kid. I know you joined us at age 15 and now have no HS education, but enjoy driving taxis the rest of your life. Thanks for the memories. 

And you're correct, they cut 40 teams last year. No word on how many jobs that was.

40 teams...just crazy. A few of us had the opportunity to play on some of those 42 teams that were cut, and that's just a shame IMO. It's not like the $18,000 annual compensation was all that much for these clubs to take on either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

40 teams...just crazy. A few of us had the opportunity to play on some of those 42 teams that were cut, and that's just a shame IMO. It's not like the $18,000 annual compensation was all that much for these clubs to take on either.

He's missing payroll taxes and whatnot, but it's $2.5MM/year/team. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He's missing payroll taxes and whatnot, but it's $2.5MM/year/team. 

And to be honest, I'd love to see the merchandise and ticket sales. Almost all of these entities are fronted by sponsors, and these old stadiums are like 100 years old and the upkeep costs are almost nonexistent. I used to have some old school Portland Sea Dogs (Masterson was a HS teammate of mine, I was his catcher) memorabilia and what not. Cool stuff.

22 hours ago, MWil23 said:

And to be honest, I'd love to see the merchandise and ticket sales. Almost all of these entities are fronted by sponsors, and these old stadiums are like 100 years old and the upkeep costs are almost nonexistent. I used to have some old school Portland Sea Dogs (Masterson was a HS teammate of mine, I was his catcher) memorabilia and what not. Cool stuff.

I’m pretty sure the teams don’t own the minor league teams and just are affiliated with them, so the cost of maintaining the stadiums and transport etc typically falls on the owners. So the MLB teams really just have player salaries to contribute but also probably don’t make money off of the merchandise. Some major league teams own some or part of their minor league teams (Tampa Yankees or any minor league team with the same name) but in general they don’t.