2021: The Offseason of Discontent

hrubes20

20 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Executive sub-committee (who consist of the bigger named MLB players - Andrew Miller, Max Scherzer, Francisco Lindor, Gerritt Cole, etc.) voted 8-0 against the deal. The teams/representatives voted 26-4 in favor.

Just shows the players group was not as united a front as it was being portrayed from the top echelon guys to the lower level guys. The players were never going to miss significant amount of games. Nor do i think the owners wanted to go beyond April due to the hurting they took from the pandemic.  

AKA, the millionaires vs Billionaires argument.

11 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Lets hope that part isn't true.

I think we all knew it was inevitable once the NBA started doing it.. No sports league is going to pass on easy money. 

But as long as it's done similar to the NBA it shouldn't be a big deal. I barely even notice it most of the time.

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Players Union voting: 26-12 in favor of the deal. 

That's not good. That is an extremely fractured union which means this deal probably isn't great for them but enough just wanted their money. And if it is already fractured they will be raked in the next CBA

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Executive sub-committee (who consist of the bigger named MLB players - Andrew Miller, Max Scherzer, Francisco Lindor, Gerritt Cole, etc.) voted 8-0 against the deal. The teams/representatives voted 26-4 in favor.

Just shows the players group was not as united a front as it was being portrayed from the top echelon guys to the lower level guys. The players were never going to miss significant amount of games. Nor do i think the owners wanted to go beyond April due to the hurting they took from the pandemic.  

This basically shows the main problem. Low level guys more focused on their here and now money. The guys that already have it can look to the future and to players not yet part of the union.  The Owners have honed their negotiation formula to ensure this division always remains and always results in agreements that are great for the owners. 

I don’t hate the expanded playoffs. I don’t think 12 cheapens the season as much as 14 does, especially with the incentive in place to be a top 2 seed. In fact, I think this is probably preferable to the single wild card play in game if the reports are correct. 

5 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I am a fan of the universal DH. Not sure why it took so long to get this in the league. Probably been discussed but I'm just seeing it for the first time.

It just makes so much more sense when you are trying to make the game more appealing.  Yes, I appreciate the strategy involved with a pitcher sac bunts and having to weight the benefit of a pinch hitter versus going to your bullpen.  But at the end of the day, do you want to see an above average hitter taking those ABs or a guy with a career OPS of .300?

18 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

It just makes so much more sense when you are trying to make the game more appealing.  Yes, I appreciate the strategy involved with a pitcher sac bunts and having to weight the benefit of a pinch hitter versus going to your bullpen.  But at the end of the day, do you want to see an above average hitter taking those ABs or a guy with a career OPS of .300?

I honestly wouldn't mind it if the pitcher hit in the AL but I am more of a fan of consistency among both leagues. I don't disagree w/ your argument as the strategy absolutely differs but even as a kid, I was never a fan of one league doing things one way and the other doing it differently. 

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

Not only that, but it's just dumb that a major professional sport had a different rule for half the league vs. the other half. Just doesn't make sense from a competition standpoint, as the goal is to have the rules/guidelines the same for all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

The DH rule works - period.
From a strategic and economic viewpoint.
Pitcher's coming up is the time for a bathroom or snack break.
The inclusion of an automatic out in the lineup doesnt enhance the game.

I used to be a "Purist" and realized it was dumb. It's the biggest way to kill momentum around. A free out or bunting is just so unappealing and really sours the fan experience for trivial reasons.

This sport dead yet?

There are two things they need to implement if they want me to come back.

1. A pitch clock (from the time the pitcher gets the ball back from the catcher/ump), I don't know whether it should be 20, 25, 30 seconds, or what have you, but it takes way too long seeing the pitchers just dilly dally around.

2. Visits to the mound have to go. Give each team 2 or 3 timeouts a game if the manager needs to talk things over with the guy. This is the 21st century, we don't need to have the manager make a slow walk out to the mound in order for the relief pitcher to come in from the other side of the stadium. Just signal the ump, phone the bullpen, get em out there.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

I used to be a "Purist" and realized it was dumb. It's the biggest way to kill momentum around. A free out or bunting is just so unappealing and really sours the fan experience for trivial reasons.

It would be like the NBA mandating that the worst shooter on a team get regular court time.