2021: The Offseason of Discontent

hrubes20

Jeff Passan -  Matt Chapman has been traded to the Toronto Blue Jays, sources confirm to ESPN. Deal is done. A's with another big group of prospects. RHP Gunnar Hoglund best of the bunch. SS Kevin Smith, left-handed starter Zach Logue and left-handed reliever Kirby Snead all major league-ready.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Jeff Passan -  Matt Chapman has been traded to the Toronto Blue Jays, sources confirm to ESPN. Deal is done. A's with another big group of prospects. RHP Gunnar Hoglund best of the bunch. SS Kevin Smith, left-handed starter Zach Logue and left-handed reliever Kirby Snead all major league-ready.

Good deal for the Jays, IMO. Didn't lose any of Moreno, Groshans, Martinez, or Pearson. We have plenty of good arms in the rotation to be able to deal Hoglund. Smith is solid but Groshans is the better prospect anyways. Hopefully they extend Chapman soon. 

40 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

Jays winning the AL East. Team is stacked. 

C - Danny Jansen, Alejandro Kirk, Gabriel Moreno
1B - Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Cavan Biggio
2B - Santiago Espinal, Cavan Biggio
SS - Bo Bichette, Santiago Espinal
3B - Matt Chapman, Santiago Espinal
LF - Lourdes Gurriel Jr., Randal Grichuk
CF - George Springer, Randal Grichuk
RF - Teoscar Hernandez, Randal Grichuk
DH - Probably Grichuk? 

Starters:
Kevin Gausman
Jose Berrios
Hyun-Jin Ryu
Alek Manoah 
Yusei Kikuchi
Ross Stripling, Nate Pearson, Thomas Hatch extra starters

Bullpen:
Adam Cimber
Trevor Richards
Nate Pearson
Tim Mayza
David Phelps
Julian Merryweather
Yimi Garcia
Jordan Romano

Let's gooo

Absolutely loaded lineup, don’t trust that rotation though. Will be interesting to see if they make move for a TOR at the deadline.

12 hours ago, Leader said:

Jesse Rogers -  Breaking news: Anthony Rizzo in agreement on a contract with the Yankees, pending a physical.

On the same day that Judge basically already said he's still unvaccinated, they go ahead and sign yet another unvaccinated player to potentially miss 90+ games this year.  Cashman must be feeling good about the ban being lifted.  Rizzo has to be kicking himself hard for passing on the 5/$70 million extension offer from the Cubs.  

3 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Japanese publications reporting that Suzuki has chosen the Cubs on a 5 year deal.

I will gladly take it!  Doesn't move the needle for the 2022 Cubs, but it helps make the team watchable.  Could potentially pay off in 2023 and 2024 as well.  Or he could go the way of Kosuke Fukudome and will be a league average player getting paid to be more.  I'm just happy Scrooge McRicketts opened up the coffers for anything at this point.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

MLB Network -  Kyle Schwarber is reportedly headed to the Phillies.

Roughly a 4/$80 deal.  Good deal for Meatball.  I will never not cheer for him.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I like Hoglund a bit, but that still seems awfully light for Chapman to me.  Good trade for the Jays.  

1 minute ago, hrubes20 said:

On the same day that Judge basically already said he's still unvaccinated, they go ahead and sign yet another unvaccinated player to potentially miss 90+ games this year.  Cashman must be feeling good about the ban being lifted. 

I'm firmly in the "get the shot" camp and frankly think the players should consider it an obligation to their teammates and the guy's writing their checks- unless they have a *valid* exemption - and "I love freedom" does not cut it.

Ken Rosenthal -   Blue Jays have spoken to Guardians about trade for José Ramírez, with idea of playing Ramírez at 2B, sources tell The Athletic. Other teams showing interest in Ramírez as well. Still unlikely Guardians will move him. Ramírez under club control for two more seasons, combined $24M.

3 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Absolutely loaded lineup, don’t trust that rotation though. Will be interesting to see if they make move for a TOR at the deadline.

The rotation is one of the best in the league? Gausman and Berrios are both TOR guys, in my opinion. Manoah is a monster.  

41 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

The rotation is one of the best in the league? Gausman and Berrios are both TOR guys, in my opinion. Manoah is a monster.  

I don’t consider one year of Gausman being good making him a TOR. Berrios is good but i see as a top end #2.

• Like 1

Yea there isn't enough certainty to consider Toronto's rotations elite. Gausman has been great for the last 1.5 years but he's still a two-pitch pitcher with a long track record of inconsistency. Berrios, despite his reputation and stuff, had never been elite. Manoah can easily fall flat on his face like so many young pitchers do.

Ryu is getting up there on age and showed cracks last year while Kikuchi has never matched the peripherals with results.

It COULD be a great rotation! Post-hype guys like Pearson figure it out and become elite all the time because development isn't linear. There are better ones on paper as of now, though.