2021: The Offseason of Discontent

hrubes20

On 12/11/2021 at 9:55 AM, Leader said:

Just checking in.....nope. Nothing.

Yeah, we aren't even getting blurbs right now.  Tough to see how the season starts on time at this pace.  I'm sure the MLBPA will cave at the last second so the season can start.  

4 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Yeah, we aren't even getting blurbs right now.  Tough to see how the season starts on time at this pace.  I'm sure the MLBPA will cave at the last second so the season can start.  

Yup. Its almost funny how "baseball Twitter" - which had reverted to fantasy baseball-like trade potentials and possibilities....has pretty much gone silent. 

On 12/14/2021 at 1:29 PM, hrubes20 said:

At least the hiatus will give me a chance to catch up on the minor leagues.  I am woefully out of the loop with most systems besides the Cubs.

I'll crash course you on the Cardinals' system.  The Cardinals farm system is pretty top heavy right now, as they've got four guys who are top 100 prospects (in some order) in Nolan Gorman, Jordan Walker, Matt Liberatore, and Ivan Herrera.  Unlike previous years, the Cardinals don't have a ton of MLB-ready arms due to trades and graduations.  Matt Liberatore will probably make his MLB debut sometime past the S2 cutoff.  Zack Thompson, a former FRP, has struggled with control both in terms of walks and home runs allowed.  He pitched almost exclusively out of the rotation this past season, so he'll probably be allowed to stay there but the bullpen seems like his future.  They drafted the ultimate control pitcher in Mike McGreevy, but didn't pitch much this past season.  The Cardinals have a slew of younger pitchers with some significant upside in Tink Hence, and Edwin Nunez namely.  On the positional side, once you get past the Big 3 (Gorman, Walker, and Herrera) they've bet heavy on the toolsy, athletic types in Masyn Winn, Josh Baez, and Tre Fletcher namely.  Masyn Winn is probably the guy who burst onto the prospect map, and he's probably a top 150 prospect who should push into the top 100 by the end of the year.  Overall, we're a bit short on the pitching side where most of our pitching projects more as bullpen arms then rotational arms.  Probably the deepest we've been in positional prospects in years though.

On 12/23/2021 at 9:10 AM, CWood21 said:

I'll crash course you on the Cardinals' system.  The Cardinals farm system is pretty top heavy right now, as they've got four guys who are top 100 prospects (in some order) in Nolan Gorman, Jordan Walker, Matt Liberatore, and Ivan Herrera.  Unlike previous years, the Cardinals don't have a ton of MLB-ready arms due to trades and graduations.  Matt Liberatore will probably make his MLB debut sometime past the S2 cutoff.  Zack Thompson, a former FRP, has struggled with control both in terms of walks and home runs allowed.  He pitched almost exclusively out of the rotation this past season, so he'll probably be allowed to stay there but the bullpen seems like his future.  They drafted the ultimate control pitcher in Mike McGreevy, but didn't pitch much this past season.  The Cardinals have a slew of younger pitchers with some significant upside in Tink Hence, and Edwin Nunez namely.  On the positional side, once you get past the Big 3 (Gorman, Walker, and Herrera) they've bet heavy on the toolsy, athletic types in Masyn Winn, Josh Baez, and Tre Fletcher namely.  Masyn Winn is probably the guy who burst onto the prospect map, and he's probably a top 150 prospect who should push into the top 100 by the end of the year.  Overall, we're a bit short on the pitching side where most of our pitching projects more as bullpen arms then rotational arms.  Probably the deepest we've been in positional prospects in years though.

I know about the main guys well enough, as well as high draft picks like those guys you mentioned.  Any guys come out of the woodworks?

23 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I know about the main guys well enough, as well as high draft picks like those guys you mentioned.  Any guys come out of the woodworks?

Edwin Nunez is probably the biggest pop up prospect I'm keeping an eye on this year.  Think Carlos Martinez but with a better pitching frame.  Reports on Tink Hence (former SRP) were promising in EST, but the innings were limited this year.  They've got a few bonus babies that are probably a year or two away from making any real moves up the board.

lol MLB Network cut ties with Ken Rosenthal because he dared to criticize Rob Manfred. Manfred has no business running this league. He's proven to be a clown and only wants yes men around. It's no wonder the game is dying. 

This is all Greenie's fault. Manfred was his boy. This is what happens when you let a Mets fan decide what's good for baseball.

• Like 1