Browns release WR OBJ, Signs with Rams

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

but your counting on him actually showing up and playing. I am missing the point as to why anyone would find this guy appealing to be on your team. Yes he could have talent but at the same time he can also make comments or have his daddy post a video of your qb messing up. Hes just not a team player he is out for himself and all your doing is adding poison to an unwanted spot. He isnt going to change he has shown that with NY and now Cleveland going to a team that has a struggling oline, a rookie qb, its just not something I would be for. Your better off taking that 8 mil bundling it with money that you will have next year and buy a #1 receiver that would want to be there long term. You have Adams, Godwin, Robinson you can look to go after who arent head cases and would actually benefit your young talented qbs and will help your other young wr corps to get better. 

As if Adams, Godwin, Robinson will want to go to Jacksonville. As if those 3 won't get tagged. 

9 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

It’s his son’s fault, the coach, and Baker. Anyone acting like it’s not is smoking sherm.

There are a lot of factors that go into the dysfunction but my issue is that 1 side is taking 100% of the 'blame' right now.

Baker has missed reads/throws and needs to be better and more consistent, nobody is arguing that. Stefanski needs to adjust some of his plays to feature OBJ more without 'forcing' him the ball and get away from this 'we have 9 people who can beat you' offense. OBJ needs to grow TF up and not throw his team and QB under the bus to all of his celeb friends.

*** This entire thing could have been solved in a professional manner by OBJ simple---very simply---going into Stefanski's office and brought up this concern like an adult and worked through it. Instead he lit the fuse, put it in his dads and celebrity bros hands and ran away. Like a child.

Kyle Brandt with the stone cold stunner:

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

As if Adams, Godwin, Robinson will want to go to Jacksonville. As if those 3 won't get tagged. 

If your paying them top dollar then yes they will. Robinson and Godwin are already tagged which means that the cost to keep them on the tag is 110% of his current franchise tag this year. If Rodgers leaves GB or GB doesnt clear the cap he is gone as they are -30 mil over the projected cap of 209 mil next year. 

4 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Why is it just an indictment against him instead of at worst being a two-way street? 

Odell is getting open. Baker is throwing some inaccurate balls. Okay. Odell is also dropping the ball too like he did in against the Chargers in a critical situation. 

The ratio at which Odell drops the ball to Baker flat out missing him due to inaccuracy or just lack of field vision is heavily against Baker. Odell drops are something he himself needs takes responsibility for but dude would also drop balls in NY too but it didn’t really matter all that match up because he made it up for it tenfold with his playmaking.

1 hour ago, Rod Johnson said:

While true, it's not like he's made up for them by making any contested catches either.  Maybe if he lands on a team with the right QB and right system he starts putting up numbers again, but he's been very uninspiring his tenure here.

That's a completely different story, though. He's dropping a ton of passes suggests he's a bad receiver. But he's not dropping a ton of passes. He's not making any contested catches might mean he's not a great receiver, but plenty of good receivers aren't really going to be doing that. It's 2021. Teams know how to get receivers open and throw to them. You don't want to be throwing many contested passes. I don't believe OBJ has been great or anything, but I refuse to believe this narrative that he has been so bad at catching the football that the best thing to do is pay a man $16M to ride the bench. Because that's what the Browns are doing now. By all accounts, OBJ seems to be trying. All reports say he's ready and willing to practice. He looks visibly frustrated when he and Baker can't connect. This isn't like Albert Haynesworth not being willing to put in the work. So to me, if the Browns feel OBJ can still be a good receiver, QB and play caller need to work that out with him. If the Browns don't believe that, they should be able to cut him without fear. The current strategy, to me, accomplishes nothing but giving OBJ the middle finger. While I'm sure that's satisfying to somebody, that's not really sound teambuilding strategy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

I can't find anything showing OBJ with more than 2 drops this year, which while not great, doesn't seem terrible for 34 targets. That drop rate is lower than Cooper Kupp, about equal to Tyreek Hill, way lower than Deebo Samuel. I get that one of them might have been a crucial play, but it really seems like the drops narrative is getting heavily exaggerated. All receivers drop passes. Sometimes they're important ones.

He had one against the Chargers, one against the Cardinals and one against the Broncos that are clear as day.

Maybe they didn’t count the Cardinals game as there was a defender near him on a slant, but it hit him square in the hands.

And these are drops on slants and drags, not throws down the field, odd body angles and such.  2/3 were entirely uncontested.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 10:22 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Good luck McCorkel.

Have you met Belichick's son?  If OBJ were to talk back he'd eat him alive... and that failing, he'll just plain eat him, I'm pretty sure.

steve-belichick.gif

Edited by Dr LBC
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

The ratio at which Odell drops the ball to Baker flat out missing him due to inaccuracy or just lack of field vision is heavily against Baker.

I’m not sure a single person has argued this.

What Baker supporters are saying is it doesn’t happen with literally any of the other receivers, just him, and there’s like 3.5 years of receipts here.

As fans we don’t know if OBJ is running the correct route, if he’s running it consistently, if there’s miscommunication as to where the ball’s going, etc..

The fact that this stuff is more or less isolated to OBJ should tell us something.  He’s by and large accurate when throwing to pretty much anyone else.

Odell drops are something he himself needs takes responsibility for but dude would also drop balls in NY too

Every receiver does, for sure.

but it didn’t really matter all that match up because he made it up for it tenfold with his playmaking.

Hasn’t happened in Cleveland.  He’s had like 2 really nice games.  2019 took a slant like 90 yards and last year at Dallas where Stefanski rewrote the playbook seemingly to get him involved (which is an outlier btw because pretty much any other time we force him touches he’s not done much).

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

That's a completely different story, though. He's dropping a ton of passes suggests he's a bad receiver. But he's not dropping a ton of passes. He's not making any contested catches might mean he's not a great receiver, but plenty of good receivers aren't really going to be doing that.

What?  Good receivers make contested catches all the time.  It’s one of the hallmarks of being a good receiver lol.

I don't believe OBJ has been great or anything, but I refuse to believe this narrative that he has been so bad at catching the football that the best thing to do is pay a man $16M to ride the bench.

What?  He wasn’t.  They’ve been trying to work this out until the shenanigans.  He’s not at home because of his play or effort. 

Because that's what the Browns are doing now. By all accounts, OBJ seems to be trying. All reports say he's ready and willing to practice.

Seriously?  He’s saying he’s willing to practice because he knows paid suspensions violate the CBA.  He’s pressing the action for a trade.

He looks visibly frustrated when he and Baker can't connect. This isn't like Albert Haynesworth not being willing to put in the work.

yes, agreed.

So to me, if the Browns feel OBJ can still be a good receiver, QB and play caller need to work that out with him.

It seemed like that’s what everyone not named OBJ planned to do.  What am I missing here?

If the Browns don't believe that, they should be able to cut him without fear.

Which will probably be the end result.

The current strategy, to me, accomplishes nothing but giving OBJ the middle finger. While I'm sure that's satisfying to somebody, that's not really sound teambuilding strategy.

I’m sure they’re not being that petty.  My guess is they’re looking for any and all ways to recover part of the money he’s owed and/or determine if they can suspend him without pay (which they probably can’t).

OBJ isn’t a moron, he knows their options.  That’s why he waited until the day of the trade deadline to speak up. He knew it wouldn’t get done in 8 hours (and if it did, and he didn’t like the team he’d refuse to report most likely).  He wants out and he doesn’t want traded he wants to pick his team.  Instead of being a pro and waiting for the offseason, or requesting a trade discreetly, he did this.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

That's a completely different story, though. He's dropping a ton of passes suggests he's a bad receiver. But he's not dropping a ton of passes. He's not making any contested catches might mean he's not a great receiver, but plenty of good receivers aren't really going to be doing that. It's 2021. Teams know how to get receivers open and throw to them. You don't want to be throwing many contested passes. I don't believe OBJ has been great or anything, but I refuse to believe this narrative that he has been so bad at catching the football that the best thing to do is pay a man $16M to ride the bench. Because that's what the Browns are doing now. By all accounts, OBJ seems to be trying. All reports say he's ready and willing to practice. He looks visibly frustrated when he and Baker can't connect. This isn't like Albert Haynesworth not being willing to put in the work. So to me, if the Browns feel OBJ can still be a good receiver, QB and play caller need to work that out with him. If the Browns don't believe that, they should be able to cut him without fear. The current strategy, to me, accomplishes nothing but giving OBJ the middle finger. While I'm sure that's satisfying to somebody, that's not really sound teambuilding strategy.

Giving him the middle finger is sound strategy, you can't salvage the season with that BS going on.  OBJ has had near 0 effect on our W/L column for 3 years now.  Baker being a half competent QB has propelled them into competing again.  If they aren't going to rally around him they gotta go, and that's regardless if he's the QBOTF.

And honestly if the Browns gotta eat that contract and let him choose his team then do it.  Show him the door.

Edited by Rod Johnson