What does Miami need to do to keep Coach Flo?

Dolphinmeister

What do you need to see second half of the season to be happy having Flores back as coach next season?

This week is seasons half way point of Flores 3rd season. Miami's previous 3 coaches records in the third year was Sparano 7 & 9 for the second year in a row after a 11 & 5 first season, he was fired the next season after starting 4 & 9. Philbin was 8 & 8 for the second year in a row after a 7 & 9 first season he was fired after a 1 & 3 start his 4th season. Gase was 7 & 9 his third season after a 6 & 10 season the year before and a 10 & 6 first season and was fired at 3rd seasons end.

What are you all's thinking that Flores has to do to keep his job at seasons end? For me I think winning 4 of the last 9 games is the minimum it will take to keep his job, I would hate to see a 2- or 3-win season keep him then start out 2 & 6 next year and fire the coach mid season, for me show you can coach this team to 4 or more wins in the second half this season or your gone because what will be different next year if he cannot win this year?

On 11/5/2021 at 12:00 AM, Dolphinmeister said:

What do you need to see second half of the season to be happy having Flores back as coach next season?

This week is seasons half way point of Flores 3rd season. Miami's previous 3 coaches records in the third year was Sparano 7 & 9 for the second year in a row after a 11 & 5 first season, he was fired the next season after starting 4 & 9. Philbin was 8 & 8 for the second year in a row after a 7 & 9 first season he was fired after a 1 & 3 start his 4th season. Gase was 7 & 9 his third season after a 6 & 10 season the year before and a 10 & 6 first season and was fired at 3rd seasons end.

What are you all's thinking that Flores has to do to keep his job at seasons end? For me I think winning 4 of the last 9 games is the minimum it will take to keep his job, I would hate to see a 2- or 3-win season keep him then start out 2 & 6 next year and fire the coach mid season, for me show you can coach this team to 4 or more wins in the second half this season or your gone because what will be different next year if he cannot win this year?

I don't know.  Personally, I think the owner might need a new GM.  And if that happens, a new GM will likely want a new head coach.

10 hours ago, Deadeye said:

I don't know.  Personally, I think the owner might need a new GM.  And if that happens, a new GM will likely want a new head coach.

We absolutely need a new GM, as much as I like Coach Flo this years regression might just be too much to recover from, especially when we don’t control our first round pick this coming year ans we could’ve been picking very high most likely but will probably be picking in the teens to early 20’s. I know that’s not Flo’s fault but if getting a new GM means a new coach, I’m all for it. I mean the guy missed on all three first round picks, I know the jury is still out in Tua and hopefully Jackson can run it around and fit in at guard but now Eichenberg isn’t really fitting in anywhere, is like to see him at RG and put Hunt at RT, I’m pretty sure that’s the combo they haven’t tried yet. But I mean we literally had a Franchise LT in Tunsil, and I get it, we got a great haul of picks for him and I’m sure most GM’s would have made that trade but to miss on all three first round picks, and I know I’m beating a dead horse cause most of the people in this forum loved the Hunter Long pick but I’m still so mad about that one, there we’re so many better options and now they guy hasn’t even gotten on the field. Does he even have a single catch this year yet? The lack of urgency to get a running game and adequate protection for Tua has been the death of this team I believe. The offense can’t stay on the field so the defense gets tired, they looked great against the pats but I think that’s why the defense looks worse this year ans if we had a running game to grind it out that would help the defense and Tua so much. I mean when was the last time we had a 100 yard rusher. Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure it was Kenyan Drake

Flores inability to build an effective Offensive staff has caused him to lose the locker room and that's caused our Defense to underperform IMO.  What Flores needs is to survive this season and immediately following this season announce the hire of a big time Offensive Coordinator ( Bill Obrien from Alabama maybe? ).  I think that's the only way Grier and Flores keep their jobs.

• Like 1

I almost wonder if he has insecurity as a young head coach that keeps him from wanting to hire a coordinator that could easily be his replacement if he were to get fired at some point?  I see it discussed over and over at how bad the handling of coordinators has been the last 3 seasons and throw on top of that the lack of building a top O-line and the lack of acquiring a top running back are problems that just have not got fixed, and throw in the waste of so many top 10 draft picks also.

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm done with him. The offensive ineptitude has gotten worse.

They were purposely trying to look incompetent on offense, that way the Ravens have no film to study of a competent offense leading up to Thursday's primetime game. 

2 hours ago, FinSting said:

They were purposely trying to look incompetent on offense, that way the Ravens have no film to study of a competent offense leading up to Thursday's primetime game. 

Either my sarcasm detector is broken or you have developed a seriously wild theory there lol.  I don't think we have to try to look incompetent, it just comes naturally lmao

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dolphinmeister said:

I almost wonder if he has insecurity as a young head coach that keeps him from wanting to hire a coordinator that could easily be his replacement if he were to get fired at some point?  I see it discussed over and over at how bad the handling of coordinators has been the last 3 seasons and throw on top of that the lack of building a top O-line and the lack of acquiring a top running back are problems that just have not got fixed, and throw in the waste of so many top 10 draft picks also.

I think it's much worse than that.  He doesn't have a ton of Coaching experience outside of his time as an assistant with New England from 2008-2019, and the problem with being a New England assistant is that almost none of them have had success in the NFL beyond their time with the Patriots so Tom Brady and / or Bellicheat get credited for 100% of the Pats success.  He has a credibility issue in the eyes of players and other coaches IMO, and that's making it difficult to build an Offensive staff outside of the guys familiar with him from working together with the Patriots.  Additionally it doesn't help that our last O-Coordinator resigned immediately after last season and the one before him agreed to part ways in similar fashion.

45 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

Either my sarcasm detector is broken or you have developed a seriously wild theory there lol.  I don't think we have to try to look incompetent, it just comes naturally lmao

Ravens are wasting valuable film time trying to figure out why the football was hiked to Gesicki multiple times in the same game. Fins got future opponents very confused. 

• Like 1

I believe Flores will be here, Grier may not. 

I am curious about first year Oline coach Lem Jeanpierre. I have said it a few times the O lines main issue I believe is coaching. I think he is gone.

For better or worse, I think we keep our current OC(s). Which if they stick with Tua, is better than switching at this point. 

• Like 1

I don't care who is GM, HC, OC, OL coach, etc, as long as they get some damn blocking.  Start by trading Austin Jackson for a bag of balls so whoever is coaching isn't tempted to keep playing him in hopes of him "figuring it out".  Just take the L on the 1st round bust and move along.

• Like 1

One criticism I have of Coach Flores is his inability to build an offensive staff. We saw what that lack of consistency did to Tannehill. I fear we'll need to replace the current staff as well and who knows if history will repeat itself for Tua. I have a hard time being too mad at our offensive coaching staff, and that has a ton to do with the line. 

My BIGGEST criticism of him though is the way this defense looks this year. He's supposed to be a great defensive mind. Last season, we had the amoeba defense with players bouncing around before the snap. Offenses had a hard time figuring out who was rushing and who was dropping off into coverage. I cannot recall seeing that once this season. We had a defensive identity last year. This year we have none. 

BUT what if the pieces Grier has put together are really just that awful? Is it fair to say Flores should be fired when we have a historically bad offensive line? When our big FA acquisition WR has (predictably so) been injured all year? When some team leaders were jettisoned off the roster because they were brought in on unsustainable contracts? 

I believe that in general when pro athletes perform well, their coaches are given too much credit, and when they perform poorly, coaches are given too much blame. 

If Don Shula was coaching this team, would they be much better? I mean Jesse Davis, Austin Jackson and Liam Eichenberg are tied for worst in the league for pressures allowed. This offensive line has allowed a league high 234 pressures. As a result, Tua has been banged up and we've had to start Jacoby Brissett. And btw we cannot get a push up front for a run game either. We are dead last in rushing offense. The players stink and the O-line is woefully below NFL caliber. No coach can fix that. Not at the pro level. 

My opinion is that this team is a BAD IDEA, doomed from the very outset. It wouldn't really matter who was coaching this team. The pieces are just that awful. And that falls squarely back on Grier. I'm not going to beat a dead horse and recount all the missteps. We all know them too painfully well. Aside from R. Davis and J. Holland, he's been a terrible drafter. And he built this offensive line unit that has been bad on a historic level. 

Bill Parcels once said  something along the lines of "if you want me to cook dinner you should let me pick some of the groceries". Mr. Ross has asked Coach Flores to cook a gormet meal and unfortunately Chris Grier has given our coach a bunch of canned tofu and expired produce to cook with. 

1 hour ago, JourneymanQB13 said:

And that falls squarely back on Grier. I'm not going to beat a dead horse and recount all the missteps. We all know them too painfully well. Aside from R. Davis and J. Holland, he's been a terrible drafter.

Perhaps you didn't see R. Davis was ranked by PFF as one of the NFL's worst interior lineman this season? 

This season is EIA (Everything Is Awful). 

On 11/11/2021 at 4:20 PM, FinSting said:

Perhaps you didn't see R. Davis was ranked by PFF as one of the NFL's worst interior lineman this season? 

This season is EIA (Everything Is Awful). 

I think Raekwon Davis is still a little banged up, last year he was awesome, I feel like he might be better suited as a 3-4 DE, when you look at his measurable(6’7” 330) you think he’s right for NT but he’s very lean and doesn’t look like your typical NT, I really think this team is better suited for a 4-3, Wilkins should be playing inside, we are seriously miss using a lot of these players, Baker should be a 4-3 Will but since we don’t have an Alpha MIKE LB that’s where he would play, I feel like if we had a solid MLB, doesn’t have to be Hall of Fame worthy, just a solid lunch pale guy with good instincts and is good at reading the QB and Center’s adjustments and formations. Van Gingkle would be great in an Anthony Barr/ Joker type role, I guess Eaugovean or Roberts would play the “SAM” spot. On the line we start with ogbah and Phillips on the ends, Wilkins/Davis in the middle. Ogbah has been great as 3-4 end but I feel like if he had the massive Raekwon Davis next to him with Van Ginkle coming from the LB spot dining stunts and what not our D would be awesome. I would really like them to take a solid MLB early in the draft this year and if they stay with the 3-4 then we will need a true NT and some tie 3/5 tech ends. I mean Ogbah has been great since he got here, espescially using the passer, but he’s 6’3” 275, thats pretty light for 3-4 ends ans could be a liability in the run game.