Week 9 General Discussion Thread

NYRaider

Peyton Manning (through year 5) is nothing compared to Mahomes. (no other comparison is valid)

Mahomes is in year 5 and Manning was a 42-38 QB after 5 seasons.

Manning had a pretty good year 2 and a very good year 3 and not much else at that point.

He personally fired Jim Mora with his pick-6-a-thon in year 4. (He had 6 of them)

He was 0-3 in the playoffs after year 5.

Apples to apples Mahomes >>>>>>>>>>>> Peyton Manning. (through year 5)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

Peyton Manning (through year 5) is nothing compared to Mahomes. (no other comparison is valid)

Manning had a pretty good year 2 and a very good year 3 and not much else at that point.

He personally fired Jim Mora with his pick-6-a-thon in year 4. (He had 6 of them)

Not that I really disagree, but....

1) The COLTS were 42-38 with Manning as QB after 5 seasons.    Mahomes had a MUCH MUCH better overall team around him to start his career.

2) There were numerous rule changes in the early-mid 2000s that helped propel the passing game.   Its much easier for a young QB today to immediately put up big numbers than it was when Manning started.

I think Mahomes is the superior talent and obviously alot more versatile, but there are alot of caveats when comparing the beginnings of their respective careers.

35 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Mahomes is no where close to Peyton as a true pocket passer, even 5 years in. Not sure there is another QB in NFL history that i remember who seemed to rely so much more on outside the pocket success vs in the pocket. Mahomes is very avg in the pocket. Outside the pocket he is a magician. 

Caveat is I'm saying "seemed". If anyone has the numbers in the pocket vs outside, i'd love to see if it bears true with my perception, or if I'm off; from watching Patty in his career. 

Edited by Bearerofnews

21 minutes ago, 43M said:

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Going year by year.

Year 1 2000/2017 both on the bench

Year 2 2001/2018 Brady was better

Year 3 2002/2019 Mahomes was better

Year 3 2003/2020 Brady was better

Year 4 2004/2021 Brady was waaaaaay better at least so far, but Mahomes almost certainly has a worse season than 2004 Brady.

35 minutes ago, NeptunePenguins said:

Going year by year.

Year 1 2000/2017 both on the bench

Year 2 2001/2018 Brady was better

Year 3 2002/2019 Mahomes was better

Year 3 2003/2020 Brady was better

Year 4 2004/2021 Brady was waaaaaay better at least so far, but Mahomes almost certainly has a worse season than 2004 Brady.

8QAObpbsUHImWZZ87LBvSaGTmjg=.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Not that I really disagree, but....

1) The COLTS were 42-38 with Manning as QB after 5 seasons.    Mahomes had a MUCH MUCH better overall team around him to start his career.

2) There were numerous rule changes in the early-mid 2000s that helped propel the passing game.   Its much easier for a young QB today to immediately put up big numbers than it was when Manning started.

I think Mahomes is the superior talent and obviously alot more versatile, but there are alot of caveats when comparing the beginnings of their respective careers.

I think Marvin Harrison/Reggie Wayne/Dallas Clark are better than what Mahomes has

Also here is my main reason for Favre not being an all-time great. In the NFL rings are as easy to come by as the NBA almost (not sure of the exact stats but they are close to being about as valuable) and Favre only has a single one. Meanwhile in the NBA a player that isn't all that great in LeBron has four rings. Basically if you aren't even as good as LeBron you likely aren't a great player at all.