Raiders Reportedly Will Sign Desean Jackson

NYRaider

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

For the culture. Loved him at cal and with the Eagles.

Yeah there's pictures of him as a kid on the Raiders sideline when we were in LA plus he went to Cal while we were in Oakland. Desean may not save our season but the fact that he signed with us and could potentially do it, I will always love him for that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah there's pictures of him as a kid on the Raiders sideline when we were in LA plus he went to Cal while we were in Oakland. Desean may not save our season but the fact that he signed with us and could potentially do it, I will always love him for that.

Him and Marshawn will always be in the hall of nostalgia for me. I might buy his jersey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Him and Marshawn will always be in the hall of nostalgia for me. I might buy his jersey.

Marshawn is a legend, ran into him a few times when I lived in Oakland. Excited to see what Desean brings to the table for us. Ted (film guy from the athletic) said that Jackson still has plenty of speed (9th fastest player according to next gen stats on a play this year) and that he thinks Jackson also provides more in the short/intermediate game. 

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

On 11/5/2021 at 9:00 AM, Jeremy408 said:

I'll also say to the most ideal thing for the Raiders to do in the situation would be to get DeSean Jackson as a deep threat and for Zay Jones to step up. 

Of course Odell Beckham Jr. would be my favorite option to happen

On 11/5/2021 at 10:41 AM, Jeremy408 said:

I could've seen Zay Jones getting like 7-8 touchdowns. He had 7 on the bills one year. And that's the key thing right we're not asking him to be the number one receiver because hey we were really asking ruggs to be the number one receiver. Darren Waller was always going to be the number one option in the passing game. But I think this is Zay Jones opportunity to show that he can play at starter level.

And hey, the guy ran 4.4 so he's not like he's some slow possession receiver either. Yeah I was a second round pick for a reason. Remember him back then being like the talk of the senior bowl.

Also important to note that the guy is only 26 years old. So it's not a crazy idea that after a couple of years in the system and with good coaching he actually improved his craft.

Am I jumping on the Zay Jones bandwagon? No. Of course not. I'm just saying the Raiders aren't necessarily crazy for giving the guy a shot this weekend and having some confidence in him. 

3 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Just now, NYRaider said:

Am I jumping on the Zay Jones bandwagon? No. Of course not. I'm just saying the Raiders aren't necessarily crazy for giving the guy a shot this weekend and having some confidence in him. 

^ maybe it’ll get through if I give you the credit for saying it this time

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

Possesses high football character and a desire to push himself forward. Record-breaking receptions totals in 2016 were due more to scheme and excessive targets than separation ability or top-end speed. As a one-on-one receiver on the pro level, he will have to prove he has the speed and quickness to uncover against man coverage if he is to become more than just wide receiver depth.

Play speed is very average

Lacks vertical push to force cornerbacks to open and run early and doesn't have second gear to separate from coverage down the field

Thin frame

Struggles to find clean releases against press coverage due to play strength and foot quickness

High-volume production helped by high percentage of short throws and wide receiver screens

Sticky out of breaks and unable to shake tight coverage

Limited amount of burst and wiggle after the catch and won't create much more than is there

Not overly-committed as a run blocker

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

https://247sports.com/college/east-carolina/Article/East-Carolinas-Zay-Jones-proves-doubters-wrong-with-40-time-at-NFL-Combine-51600824/

Proving doubters wrong is nothing new to Zay Jones.

Many expected the record-breaking East Carolina wide receiver to run in the 4.5s and above in his 40-yard dash attempts at the NFL Combine on Thursday. Instead, Jones only further improved his stock with a strong official 40 time of 4.45. Jones ran a 4.46 and a 4.48

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

https://247sports.com/college/east-carolina/Article/East-Carolinas-Zay-Jones-proves-doubters-wrong-with-40-time-at-NFL-Combine-51600824/

Proving doubters wrong is nothing new to Zay Jones.

Many expected the record-breaking East Carolina wide receiver to run in the 4.5s and above in his 40-yard dash attempts at the NFL Combine on Thursday. Instead, Jones only further improved his stock with a strong official 40 time of 4.45. Jones ran a 4.46 and a 4.48

• Cannot separate consistently in man coverage and thus cannot create large cushions for quarterbacks.
    • Lacks burst and explosiveness after the catch and while he is physical and tough to bring to the ground, he will not run away from defenders.
    • Does not use his hands when he is jammed and therefore can struggle against physical cornerbacks in press coverage.

While Jones may have clocked a faster 40 at the combine than Boldin, his playing speed looks similar to the veteran wide receiver. In addition, Jones is not expected to separate with his quickness and speed, but can still make contested receptions in tight coverage by outmuscling defenders to the ball. Similarly to Boldin, the former East Carolina receiver is unlikely to gain chunk of yards after the reception; however, he is also not afraid of contact and can drag defenders for a couple yards.

Bottom line: Jones’ incredible production alone should raise eyebrows and earn him an opportunity to contribute in the NFL. His ability to improve in separating from defenders and beating press coverage will most likely decide his fate and will impact whether he can be full-time starter in the league. However, his ability to find the soft spots in the zones and pluck the ball out of the air can make him a useful part of an offense, likely in more of a possession role.