My take on the Odell Beckham Jr. situation, 49ers, salary cap, etc...

49erscap

Just now, Forge said:

Does anyone know if they altered the final two years of his deal when they restructured the current one to facilitate a release? I think that they likely left them on give that they were non guaranteed, but I hadn't seen that. 

That was literally going to be my question to @49erscaplol.

Are all the details known of what exactly the Browns and OBJ agreed to before his release?

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Are all the details known of what exactly the Browns and OBJ agreed to before his release?

Yeah, I kind of feel like it's a big question because how the rest of his contract is could play a huge role in whethe or not people at the top of the waiver order want to pick him up. If they are full on rebuild, they may not take him just because he'll make a stink (Detroit is the team that really springs to mind), but a team like Miami who has some pieces in place, will probably let Fuller walk after the year, may be frustrated with Parker again...I could 100% see them laying claim if they have him for two more years at 15 / each even though they are out of it for rest of season. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

From what the guys on ESPN said they were working on it, something about converting the remainder of his salary into a signing bonus, to make it more attractive to teams to claim him.

Just now, Forge said:

Yeah, I kind of feel like it's a big question because how the rest of his contract is could play a huge role in whethe or not people at the top of the waiver order want to pick him up. If they are full on rebuild, they may not take him just because he'll make a stink (Detroit is the team that really springs to mind), but a team like Miami who has some pieces in place, will probably let Fuller walk after the year, may be frustrated with Parker again...I could 100% see them laying claim if they have him for two more years at 15 / each even though they are out of it for rest of season. 

This will be very interesting to see, someone will claim him, I wonder if Odell will report though? If it's a team he's not happy to go to, then maybe the only way is for him to tell the team that they have to void his 2022-2023 years so he can sign elsewhere in 2022, but then the team acquiring him off waivers wouldn't get a comp pick as under the CBA, new to it, any player who has his contract voided, or has the option not picked up, they don't count against or for compensatory picks, same way that players cut don't count.

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Does anyone know if they altered the final two years of his deal when they restructured the current one to facilitate a release? I think that they likely left them on give that they were non guaranteed, but I hadn't seen that. 

idk if they altered the final 2 yrs, they'd need Odell's permission to do so, only thing they're allowed to do under the CBA is restructure his deal, even if he didn't want to, but some can refuse to sign it if the language isn't what they want, like offsets, guarantees, etc..

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

You all know what is going to happen right? He's going to be claimed by Seattle and find his game again. I can feel it coming. 

If you're Seattle, I honestly don't know why you *don't* put in a claim. 

I'd actually find it quite fascinating because I don't think OBJ has ever played with a QB he was just never going to be able to get over on. I mean, Eli was heading down his somewhat washed up phase and even before that he was largely an average-ish QB. He had super bowl love, but he also had people who were pretty quickly ready to turn the page by Beckham's second and third year.  

Even as a #1 overall pick, OBJ could run over Baker because he's just not that good. Like Eli, probably about an average-ish starting quarterback. 

You can't do that in Seattle. Take on Russell Wilson and you're going to lose there. And you got two other guys that are going to eat in that offense when it's humming. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

If you're Seattle, I honestly don't know why you *don't* put in a claim. 

I'd actually find it quite fascinating because I don't think OBJ has ever played with a QB he was just never going to be able to get over on. I mean, Eli was heading down his somewhat washed up phase and even before that he was largely an average-ish QB. He had super bowl love, but he also had people who were pretty quickly ready to turn the page by Beckham's second and third year.  

Even as a #1 overall pick, OBJ could run over Baker because he's just not that good. Like Eli, probably about an average-ish starting quarterback. 

You can't do that in Seattle. Take on Russell Wilson and you're going to lose there. And you got two other guys that are going to eat in that offense when it's humming. 

I'm confused by this statement lol. If you are saying they should put in a claim on him, then I fully agree. I would not look forward to facing that passing attack though, especially with our secondary as it sits. I thought I saw someone mention it, but it seems like an odd move for the Browns and Odell to make this move to make his contract easier to be claimed. On the Browns side I can see not wanting to let him pick his destination and go to a team like the Bengals or Ravens, but I don't really see the benefit for Odell, unless he really just wants out that bad and will force himself out of his next situation/not report if claimed by a crap team. 

3 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I'm confused by this statement lol. If you are saying they should put in a claim on him, then I fully agree. I would not look forward to facing that passing attack though, especially with our secondary as it sits. I thought I saw someone mention it, but it seems like an odd move for the Browns and Odell to make this move to make his contract easier to be claimed. On the Browns side I can see not wanting to let him pick his destination and go to a team like the Bengals or Ravens, but I don't really see the benefit for Odell, unless he really just wants out that bad and will force himself out of his next situation/not report if claimed by a crap team. 

Yep. I expect Seattle to put in a claim. 

As for the Browns thing - they did that intentionally. One, they probably didn't want him to go to somewhere like Baltimore on the cheap. But also, because of his service time, his contract for this year is fully guaranteed. So he had about 8 million remaining for the rest of this year that they would have been still responsible for paying him if he passed through waivers and was just a free agent. Now they avoid paying him anything else and get the cap space back, and its far less likely he ends up in the hands of a team like Baltimore. 

4 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I don't really see the benefit for Odell, unless he really just wants out that bad and will force himself out of his next situation/not report if claimed by a crap team

His agent is calling teams at the top of the waiver order in destinations he doesn't want to go and telling them not to claim him because he won't report 

Just now, N4L said:

His agent is calling teams at the top of the waiver order in destinations he doesn't want to go and telling them not to claim him because he won't report 

That doesn't surprise me. Sucks that Seattle is sitting ahead of us in the waiver order. I really expect him to land there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Now they avoid paying him anything else and get the cap space back, and its far less likely he ends up in the hands of a team like Baltimore. 

They prevent him from going to Baltimore, but they only save the vet min. They had to restructure the contract to give him his remaining 8m-the vet min in order to make sure he got claimed, but Odell didn't leave a penny on the table this year. 

Edited by N4L

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

They prevent him from going to Baltimore, but they only save the vet min. They had to restructure the contract to give him his remaining 8m-the vet min in order to make sure he got claimed 

I think that they actually do save money this year (not sure that it matters) because it's post 6/1. So if they restructured it as a signing bonus, only the pro rated portion for this year hits the cap this season and they will have dead money next year. Unless they gave it to him as a roster bonus now. I'm not sure how they actually restructured it. 

• Like 1

I wonder if the uncertainty of Russell Wilson in Seattle will play into his 'decision' at all. I mean I kind of expect Russ to be there moving forward, but there has been chatter that he will force his way out after this year. Really I'm just trying to find ways to convince myself that he won't land in Seattle lol. One thing we've got going for us is that we have a young top prospect who likes to push the ball down the field in the wings. I also remember reading that Jimmy G and Odell are pals, which I don't know how much value that provides as he will, in all likelihood, be gone after this year.