My take on the Odell Beckham Jr. situation, 49ers, salary cap, etc...

49erscap

23 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I'm confused by this statement lol. If you are saying they should put in a claim on him, then I fully agree. I would not look forward to facing that passing attack though, especially with our secondary as it sits. I thought I saw someone mention it, but it seems like an odd move for the Browns and Odell to make this move to make his contract easier to be claimed. On the Browns side I can see not wanting to let him pick his destination and go to a team like the Bengals or Ravens, but I don't really see the benefit for Odell, unless he really just wants out that bad and will force himself out of his next situation/not report if claimed by a crap team. 

I would laugh SOOOOOO hard if the Jags claim him!

5 minutes ago, Geek said:

So what exactly was the reason OBJ didn't workout in Cleveland?

He and Baker just don't have chemistry. Baker is largely an average QB, but for whatever reason, he's kind of a bad QB when it comes to targeting OBJ. His catchable ball rate is pretty low. OBJ also isn't as good as he thinks he is any more, which doesn't help (though the level of his ability is just my opinion), and he's a straight up Diva. Always has been. 

• Like 1

NO idea what Cleveland was really doing with that restructure. They really didn't do much of anything on the current year. Per Schefter, its still almost 8 million the rest of hte year for anyone who claims him, which is about the same as it was before....and now they removed his final two years, making him less appealing to teams at the top of the waiver wire order? 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

NO idea what Cleveland was really doing with that restructure. They really didn't do much of anything on the current year. Per Schefter, its still almost 8 million the rest of hte year for anyone who claims him, which is about the same as it was before....and now they removed his final two years, making him less appealing to teams at the top of the waiver wire order? 

So he can clear waivers and get to choose where he wants to sign with? Did OBJ a favor here? 

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So he can clear waivers and get to choose where he wants to sign with? Did OBJ a favor here? 

Seems to me like they did him a pretty big one. I'm just really confused by what they were trying to accomplish here because if he doesn't get claimed on waivers, Cleveland still has to pay him his base. He's a vested vet of 4+ years. It was guaranteed prior to week 1. 

So the way I'm seeing it ...he's now more difficult for teams to claim financially...one of the few teams that can afford that salary right off, is a team that needs him quite badly and is in their division lol. So now Baltimore has a much better chance of getting him just from putting in a claim. If he's not claimed, Cleveland is on the hook for his entire salary (minus any potential offset language)...he gets to sign anywhere for as little as the vet minimum and he doesn't lose a dime. That includes Baltimore, Indy, KC, Raiders....all teams that could very much use him and would directly compete with the Browns for a playoff spot.

It's a really, really bizarre situation. Also, by voiding the two future years, they basically take out any incentive for a team that has the space to pick up that 8 million salary this year to claim him on the basis for moving forward with him for the next two years. Like, if you're washington and you've been trying to figure out that other receiver position across from McLaurin...I'd kind of be interested in claiming OBJ even though they are likely out of it at 2-6 just because I'd have him for two more years. 

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Seems to me like they did him a pretty big one. I'm just really confused by what they were trying to accomplish here because if he doesn't get claimed on waivers, Cleveland still has to pay him his base. He's a vested vet of 4+ years. It was guaranteed prior to week 1. 

So the way I'm seeing it ...he's now more difficult for teams to claim financially...one of the few teams that can afford that salary right off, is a team that needs him quite badly and is in their division lol. So now Baltimore has a much better chance of getting him just from putting in a claim. If he's not claimed, Cleveland is on the hook for his entire salary (minus any potential offset language)...he gets to sign anywhere for as little as the vet minimum and he doesn't lose a dime. That includes Baltimore, Indy, KC, Raiders....all teams that could very much use him and would directly compete with the Browns for a playoff spot.

It's a really, really bizarre situation. Also, by voiding the two future years, they basically take out any incentive for a team that has the space to pick up that 8 million salary this year to claim him on the basis for moving forward with him for the next two years. Like, if you're washington and you've been trying to figure out that other receiver position across from McLaurin...I'd kind of be interested in claiming OBJ even though they are likely out of it at 2-6 just because I'd have him for two more years. 

Odell called their bluff. The browns overplayed their hand. Odell and his team worked them over hard 

Andrew Berry caved. He tried to save some money and got backed into only saving 500k, then eventually realized the team needed closure over 500k in cap space, and when Odell said he would rather sit inactive on the 53 over getting claimed by some team he didn't want to play for, the browns had no choice. 

The sudden reversal in cap space required to claim him probably was because some team like DET or JAX saying they would claim him no matter what, and Odell's people did what they had to do to ensure that didn't happen. That is why he went from very claimable (very talented playing for the vet min) to impossible to claim (expensive and potential malcontent)

That's part of being a world class athlete, world class representation

Bottom line is that Odell wanted to choose where he played next. I don't blame him at all. He's just a human doing a job, even if he's a flawed human, he deserves a choice in where he plays. He's truly a world class athlete playing somewhat injured. 

So, I don't care if he flexed on Andrew Berry. I dgaf where he plays for the most part. If he wants to be a Niner, he will be a Niner, and if he never wanted to be a Niner, then I would never want him to be a Niner, because malcontent OBJ is not someone I want on the team lol 

Edited by N4L

16 hours ago, Forge said:

10 hours ago, Forge said:

Honestly? I don't think the 3 million is worth it lol

Any team who were to claim him still has to pay him a GTD $7.25M, that $4.25M is if he goes unclaimed, then the Browns pay him that, he can't claim termination pay, which players can file for 1 time in their career, he waived that right if he goes unclaimed.

9 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

Any team who were to claim him still has to pay him a GTD $7.25M, that $4.25M is if he goes unclaimed, then the Browns pay him that, he can't claim termination pay, which players can file for 1 time in their career, he waived that right if he goes unclaimed.

But he could still claim it another year, right? From someone else? He's only waiving it this year. 

But even still, I just don't think it's worth it for the browns. I would have rather eaten it all and made sure he couldn't go to a team I'm competing with