Bye Week Mock Draft

WindyCity

Releases/Not Re-signed

QB Mike Glennon [11 million]-A complete failure of a free agent signing.
TE Dion Sims [4.5 million]-He has been mediocre at catching and blocking and there is an out in his contract
WR Markus Wheaton [5 million]-Has done nothing and been injured and an easy one to move on from
OLB Willie Young [4.5 million]-Much tougher move here, but the Bears cannot keep him and McPhee and get younger at the position
LB Jerrel Freeman[3.5 million]-Younger players took his job. He can still play, but you do not keep a 32 year old guy when you have young guys ready to play

K Conner Barth
OT Bradley Sowell
OT Tom Compton
WR Josh Bellamy

Re-signings

NT Eddie Goldman 5 years 44 million/26 guaranteed

Goldman needs to be extended and coming off what is looking like a monster season the Bears need to do it now and use the 1 year remaining on his deal as leverage and allowing them to spread the money over 5 years instead of 4.

Old Money: 1 year 2 million
New Money: 4 years 42 million/26 guaranteed 

CB Kyle Fuller 4 years 42 million/20 guaranteed

With the way he is playing you simply cannot let him go. Fuller taking a huge step under Fangio has been like found money and the Bears are not a talented enough team not to reap the rewards of that improvement.

WR Kendall Wright 2 years 10 million/5 guaranteed
LB Christian Jones  3 years 15 million/8 guaranteed
DE Mitch Unrien 2 years 5 million/2 guaranteed
P Pat O'Donnell 3 years 10 million/4 guaranteed
CB Sherrick McManis 2 years 3 million/750k guaranteed
QB Mark Sanchez 2 years 4.5 million/2 guaranteed
OLB Sam Acho 1 year 1.3 million
WR Dontelle Inman 1 year 1.75 million
RB Benny Cunningham 1 year 1.2 million
NT John Jenkins 1 year 850k
LS Patrick Sclaes [RFA]
LB John Timu [RFA]
Daniel Brown [RFA]

Free Agency

WR Davante Adams [Green Bay] 5 years 62.5 million/28 guaranteed

After exposing their rookie QB to 12 games with next to no weapons the Bears need to add multiple weapons for him. To me Adams is the best WR in the free agency market and he also hurts the Packers. He has the size, speed, and strengths to be a outside WR who has continues to move towards being a #1 WR. Adams steps in and gives the Bears a consistent talent at WR.

Davante-Adams.jpg

TE Trey Burton [Philadelphia] 4 years 18 million/6 guaranteed

Dion Sims is not very good and the Bears can add a flex TE weapon in Burton that can add to the passing game. Burton can step in and protects the Bears if Shaheen continues to not add as a WR and is a long term replacement for Miller. Miller being brought back is more about the locker room than on the field and Burton can eventually take Miller's spot. Shaheen just looks so far away they need to add a pass catching option.

090115_trey-burton_600.jpg

K Graham Gano [Carolina] 3 years 10.5 million/4 guaranteed

Barth kind of sucks and Gano is much more consistent and has a much better leg for kicking in the elements. We have not even seen the worse of Barth, wait till it is cold and windy in December.

Graham_Gano_Panthers_Contract_Four_Years

Draft

1[1] Cleveland Browns: QB Josh Rosen [UCLA]
1[2] San Francisco 49ers: RB Saqaun Barkley [Penn St]  *Sign Kirk Cousins
1[3] NY Giants: QB Lamar Jackson [Louisville]
1[4] Indianapolis Colts: OLB Harold Landry [Boston College]
1[5] Cincinnati Bengals: OT Mike McGlinchey [Notre Dame]
1[6] Tampa Bay Buccaneers: S Minkah Fitzpatrick [Alabama]
1[7] Baltimore Ravens: WR Calvin Ridley [Alabama]
1[8] Arizona Cardinals: QB Mason Rudolph [Oklahoma St]
1[9] Oakland Raiders: DE Arden Key [LSU]

1[10] OLB Bradley Chubb [NC St] 6'4" 275lbs.

The Bears pass rush has been awesome this season and they have an emmerging star in Leonard Floyd, but the production and talent across from him has been inconsistent. I do not think the Bears can keep both Young and McPhee, there are just too many injury concerns. By adding Chubb across from Floyd and having McPhee as a rotational player, which is best for his knees, the Bears may end up with one of the best pass rush units in the NFL. Chubb is the perfect compliment to Floyd. While he does not have Floyd's elite speed he has incredible size, power and technique. He is a pass rush bully he pushes college OTs around and generates tons of pressure.

odu-ns-state-c1d810646f5ab82fa40f6a70670

2[42] OT Jamarco Jones [Ohio St] 6'5" 315lbs.

This literally seems like the only way to replace Massie in 2018 and it is starting to be clear that he needs to be replaced. The Bears are getting average play from both their OTs right now and they need to upgrade one spot. The free agent class is weak and the Bears protection in 2017 has not been good. Jones can come in and take Bobbie Massie's job and provide depth if Leno goes down. Jones has the size, athletic ability, and length to be an NFL LT, but he could be a very good RT. His ability to stop people with his hands is a real plus for the Bears as too often in 2017 the Bears will bull rushed and the pocket collapsed. Jones gives the Bears OT depth as Massie moves to the backup role and you have a 60 game starter coming off the bench. That is the protection needed to take the next step.

6_5273638.jpg

4. WR Jaylon Smith [Louisville] 6'4" 210lbs.

In college Mitch Trubisky had success with larger outside WRs like Bug Howard and Mack Hollins. The Bears have size on the outside with Adams and Meredith, but they do not have a ton of depth on the outside. Smith at 6'4" has the size as well as the speed to get down the field similar to Mack Hollins at UNC. He can learn behind Meredith and provide an option with some upside in case Meredith is not 100% in 2018.

636139525477260056-USATSI-9654649.jpg

4. CB Qunetin Meeks [Stanford] 6'1" 195lbs.

A tall, long corner that fits the physical mold of what the Bears are looking for. With Cooper and Amukamara's struggles to stay healthy and not a lot of depth past the top 3 the Bears can add a player with outside CB size to develop. Meeks has grown up in a system that Fangio left at Stanford, which should hopefull shorten the learning curve. Meeks ensures that the Bears do not have to play Callahan outside.

Quenton+Meeks+102nd+Rose+Bowl+Game+Iowa+

5. OG Timon Parris [Stony Brook] 6'5" 310lbs.

In New Orleans, Pace and the Saints would draft smaller school OTs and convert them to OG pretty regularly. They always seemed to have players developing behind the starter and ready to step in and take over. The Bears are going to need a starting OG in 2019 and they are going to need options in 2018 as Kyle Long has another offseason of surgery ahead of him. Parris has excellent size and length and by moving inside he will look like an even better athlete. Like Jordan Morgan he may need some time coming from a lower level, but he gets 2018 to get himself ready to compete to start in 2019. As we are seeing if the Bears are going to run the ball as much as they are, they are going to need to start to keep 9 OLmen on the team with the physical pounding they take.

image.JPG

6. OLB Jarrett Johnson [Texas A&M] 6'3" 265lbs.

The Bears need to add 2 young athletic pass rushers and Johnson gives them a young, athletic player that can play on teams and develop as a defensive player. Johnson has good size, length, and production and he will be handed to Vic Fangio. Johnson may not be ready to contribute year 1, but with Chubb and the returning players he should get a ton of time to develop behind the scene and perhaps be a replacement long term for McPhee or Acho.

6_4932784.jpg

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Sanchez
RB: Howard, Cohen, Cunningham
WR: Adams, Meredith, Wright, Inman, Smith, McBride
TE: Burton, Shaheen, Brown
LT: Leno
LG: Long, Parris
C: Whithair, Kush
RG: Sitton, Morgan
RT: Massie/Jones

RE: Bullard/Robertson-Harris
NT: Goldman, Jenkins
LE: Hicks, Unrien
OLB: Floyd, Acho
ILB: Jones/Kwaitowski
ILB: Trevathan, Timu
OLB: Chubb, McPhee, Johnson
CB: Fuller, Amukamara, Cooper, Meeks, Callahan, McManis
SS: Amos, Hall/Bush
FS: Jackson, Demps

22 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

Love it. 

my question is how is the packers cap.  I would imagine they do anything to keep Adams. 

I like Chubb over Key.    

They start the offseason with 28 million.

That rules out the franchise tag and really means the Bears should get a chance to bid on Adams.

18 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

The only thing I would change is instead of Smith I would draft Anthony Miller, good route runner with good speed just a little smaller in size. 

I think he will be long gone by the 4th.

Had him there originally, but just can't see a guy who is producing at that level being there mid 4th.

On 10/30/2017 at 2:53 PM, WindyCity said:

I didn't do a coaching change as I am not sure that Fox is going to get fired.

Like a **** roach at his other stops he always made it hard to can him.

Albright said his seat is red hot. They need a huge offensive improvement for him to stay. It's not happening. 

2 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

Albright said his seat is red hot. They need a huge offensive improvement for him to stay. It's not happening. 

I am going to do one after 12 years specific to a possible new coach.

I think he will be fired, but you never know. Foxy is a damn survivor.

Miller is done. Shaheen is being groomed to replace Sims as the inline TE, not Miller at the flex spot, so bringing in a guy like Burton makes sense.

Shaheen and Burton as the starting TEs next year sounds fine to me. I know people are freaking out about how little we have seen from Shaheen, but TE is a really tough position to make a transition to in the NFL, even more so when coming from the level of competition Shaheen was. People will often site the 2-3 years for a WR to make the transition, but TE requires similar route running adjustments AND the player most also pick up the run and pass pro schemes. It is a steep learning curve. We have seen some freak athletes contribute as a rookie at the position but they are usually asked to just be glorified WRs. Shaheen is being asked to be an all-around TE.

I honestly didn't expect any contribution from Shaheen this season outside of the red zone. I am disappointed they have not been able to get him involved there. Perhaps that is on Shaheen and not the coaching staff, but it may also be simply that the Bears have not actually had many red zone opportunities it seems.

I really love the idea of Adams and Burton. Adams is absolutely the best FA WR available and Burton is a Gator (I have to weed out a few each mock I make) but works well in Miller's spot. I'd be excited about Chubb and Jones being picked as well. I really hope if we get a tank like Chubb that we don't drop him into coverage much. Seeing McPhee in a backpedal of any kind is pathetic, and while Chubb is a better athlete I still think he'd be as poor at it. Let the guys do what they a re good at.

I'm a big fan of most of these moves, especially the FA and first/second day targets. If this is how our personnel shook out for the 2018 season, I'd be peachy.

On FA, I wouldn't be surprised if Adams drew more money than that, given the lack of talent at the top of the WR free agents this year. There are a lot of #2 guys available, but not so many #1s. There's Landry, who is a slot receiver and not really a true #1, and Watkins, who hasn't really impressed this season. Like ever year in FA, I think positional scarcity will drive up his contract value. Regarding Burton, I understand where you're coming from, but I'd like to see another offseason with Shaheen, who was always a raw prospect, before I go throwing more money at the TE position. Pace seems to be of that mind, too, in that he's awfully patient with his draft picks. I mean, look at how he's treated White and Bullard. Second and third chances abound. I think you're criminally underpaying Unrein and Jones - both would almost definitely get more money elsewhere. Especially Jones, that guy has stepped up to to the point where Freeman is almost superfluous. I swear it's like something clicked with him. That said, I expect both to be back with the team, albeit at bigger numbers than you've given them.

In the draft, if Chubb is there I love the pick. I do think there's a reasonable chance we're picking later than 10th and he'd be gone, but then I could also see more teams in the top 10 picking QBs and pushing defensive talent further down the board (Baltimore...?). I haven't done enough research on the later rounds, but I do like the idea of investing high picks into the OL. If I'm being honest, though, unless it's a QB, I don't think a 1st rounder should ever be anything but DL/OL/Pass Rush, and 2nd rounders should be focused in those areas more often than not.

Really, though, I think those are minor quibbles. I think the only major issue I'd have is that picking 10th and not firing Fox just doesn't make sense to me. If we're picking 10th, I don't think we'll have shown enough improvement for him to keep his job. We'd need to be around 15 or so - league average, I think - in order for Fox to have a chance. Being competitive in games is only going to get him so far. I think he has to start closing them out, too.

If the Bears are picking #10, that means a 6-7 win season. There is absolutely no chance John Fox survives that. 

Obviously given the past several years, Pace will sign between 5-8 FA's, not 2 and a kicker. Not sure why you stopped where you did. I like Adams quite a bit and think he'd be a good fit here, torn between him and Landry, although I'd bet one of them ends up in a Bears uni next season. 

Actually some fairly good Kickers entering FA and Gano would be as solid as they come. 

Absolutely LOVE B Chubb, the intensity and physicality he plays with combined with upper echelon technique is exactly what we need across from Floyd. Talk about a dangerous duo for the next 5-10 years. 

I agree OT needs to be addressed via the draft, depending on who declares, I could see C Williams or T Adams falling to the tail end of the 1st given the injuries, that would be a prime, prime spot to move up and take an elite talent. Pace has shown he's not afraid or deterred by a lack of draft picks in numbers if he sees a guy he covets. If we stay at our spot in the 2nd a guy I REALLY like is OT Brian O'Neill out of Pitt, 6'6" 300lbs converted TE, elite athleticism and seems to fit pretty much exactly what Pace looks for in OL. 

Smith is a good pick in the 4th, although a sleeper pick I'm starting to like quite a bit is Michael Gallup out of Colorado State. I got to watch him live several weeks ago and came away very impressed. I actually would be surprised if he lasted until the 4th come draft day but he's a guy to keep an eye on.

i think NCB is a top 3 need on this team which wasn't  addressed whatsoever in this. Callahan is garbage and is starting to get truly exposed. He's the one link that's preventing our secondary from being top notch.

Overall this is pretty solid

Archived