2022 Eagles DC search. Who ya got?

Nabbs4u

Justin Herbert is the 5th QB to complete 80-plus percent of his passes against the Eagles this season.

Between 1950-2020, Eagles allowed just 6 QBs to complete 80-plus percent of their throws (min. 25 attempts), per ESPN Stats & Info

Thank You Johnathan Gannon for your complete and utter  incompetence as a DC. You'll accomplish in a 1/2 a season what the Eagles DC's only allowed to happen over the past 70 years. Brilliant 🥃

So if by miracle he is fired for his ineptitude,  who do you want the Eagles to look at/hire as the new DC?

Jim Leonhard at Wisconsin is just a little older than Jonathan Gannon and he too was a DB coach and former NFL safety. He was last playing in the NFL in 2014. He started his coaching career as a DB coach for one year and within a year at the program was promoted to defensive coordinator as the then DC Justin Wilcox went to Cal to become their new HC. So this is his 5th year at Wisconsin now being the DC and the work he’s done there has been phenomenal. Despite being newer to coaching than Gannon he’s been a DC for 5 years calling play at an elite level in the college game whereas Gannon was a DB coach with no previous play calling/defensive coordinator experience. They are not the same. Jim may do more with less (talent wise) than any FBS coach. Not saying Wisconsin won’t have some guys drafted probably late, but it’s not like the top programs around the nation who get top recruits. Yes, the Watt brothers went there, but they are a rarity and TJ was drafted the year he took over as defensive coordinator, so he never got to use him. When I tell you it’s crazy what his defense is doing with what they have I really mean it.

His run defense is on a historic pace. I wish I had the graphic from the last Wisconsin broadcast where they showed how their run defense is all time for college football.

Like get this… Wisconsin’s run defense is giving up 54.7 yards per game on 1.90 YPC a game. The next closest FBS team is Georgia which is the best defense in the nation that is absolutely littered with NFL prospects and high ones at that. Where does Georgia come in as 2nd in the nation? They sit right now at 80.7 YPG and 2.59 and 3rd is Oklahoma at 86.2 YPG on 2.61 YPC. They are a lot closer to Georgia than Georgia’s run defense is to Wisconsin. As far as total defense Wisconsin is again 1st in the nation at 213.8 yards per game on 3.78 yards per play while Georgia in 2nd is at 231.8 yards on 3.80 YPP. There is a decent gap between 2nd and 3rd as Oklahoma St. sits at 277 yards per game on 4.41 YPP. Their pass defense sits at 5th in the nation. Not 1st like run defense and total defense, but their DBs are way worse than Washington and Georgia who sit at 1st and 2nd respectively. They are 4th in points allowed only behind Georgia, A&M, and Cincy who has some first round picks on its defense and is having a great season.

The caveat here is I’m not sure if you guys would want to switch to a 3-4 and our personnel rn really doesn’t match a 3-4 on the d-line, but most of those guys are on the way out like Barnett, Cox and Graham. Hargrave is only under contract next year. Milton Williams I remember being talked about as a 3-4 end or 4-3 DT as a prospect. Sweat has the length of a 3-4 DE, but he would probably need to put on a little more weight. Point is if we are firing Gannon after this year and with the change we need to make to our defense I don’t think either a 3-4 or 4-3 should be out of the question. I also don’t think teams run just a straight 3-4 all the time anymore. Teams mix up fronts and try to be more multiple nowadays. We would need a big DT if we went that way and the big boy from Georgia Jordan Davis would probably shoot up our draft board.

Only thing is I don’t know if Leonhard would want to make the move to the Eagles to be our DC. I don’t doubt he might want to make the move to the NFL eventually, but he’s probably on the fast track to become a HC. I’m sure whenever he wants a college HC job he can go get one and probably at a school that would pay more than DC for the Eagles. 

Also, it’s really sad that it has already come to this with Gannon, because all of us were really excited about the hire. He was highly regarded supposedly in NFL circles. His energy was contagious. He said all the right things in his press conferences about wanting to adjust his scheme to his players and all that. I fully didn’t expect to get what we have so far which is a boring passive defense that makes things way too easy on good to great QBs. Like I knew we were gonna run less single high and more two deep safeties, but I didn’t expect that we would play such soft coverage with those two safeties back there and that we wouldn’t have much creativity in the way of pressures and stuff. I feel like the expectations were higher for Gannon than Sirianni even. Most liked Gannon more and were more impressed hearing him speak in press conferences and didn’t think he would probably be here long cause we would lose him to a HC opportunity in short order. I really hope that he turns it around for his sake, cause if you flame out super bad your first time as a coordinator it’s gonna be hard to get a second opportunity. He needs scheme/coach like his career depends on it, because it kinda does. I’m sure he can always go back to a DB coach, but I’m sure he doesn’t want to take a step back. No coach wants to move down if they’ve already moved up.

3 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

the defense is historically bad though

Sure, but he’ll (should) have opportunity to turn it around. 

It’s a rough situation to be in as a young head coach or assistant. What you’ve been doing in the professional world has gotten you to this point. To change it after a bad 8 weeks or so feels like an abandonment of what has made you a success. I want my coach and my assistants to be steadfast in their beliefs and their approach and schemes. Also, would like them to be  flexible in their ways to realize what’s in front of them. So, yes, he’s been historically bad but to bail on him so early would be knee jerk and irresponsible. Browns had Belichik and moved on. Not tryin to compare but learning on the job in a results first situation isn’t easy. 

My biggest thing is just the failure to adapt. He’s got to show he can move on his feet and learn how to defend without boundaries. I like the stubbornness to an extent but he’s got to read what’s in front of him. 

6 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Sure, but he’ll (should) have opportunity to turn it around. 

It’s a rough situation to be in as a young head coach or assistant. What you’ve been doing in the professional world has gotten you to this point. To change it after a bad 8 weeks or so feels like an abandonment of what has made you a success. I want my coach and my assistants to be steadfast in their beliefs and their approach and schemes. Also, would like them to be  flexible in their ways to realize what’s in front of them. So, yes, he’s been historically bad but to bail on him so early would be knee jerk and irresponsible. Browns had Belichik and moved on. Not tryin to compare but learning on the job in a results first situation isn’t easy. 

My biggest thing is just the failure to adapt. He’s got to show he can move on his feet and learn how to defend without boundaries. I like the stubbornness to an extent but he’s got to read what’s in front of him. 

This is why he should go this season. 9 weeks in and he's changed nothing. Sirianni has struggled but the dude is trying to adapt enough for me to be okay with him going forward. Gannon however, doesn't even seem like he's trying.