Week 8: Cowboys over Vikings 20-16

Week 9: Ravens over Vikings 34-31

Next 4 opponents:

Week 10: Chargers

Week 11: Packers

Week 12: 49ers

Week 13: Lions

--------------------------------------------

This thread is about the Vikings as a whole through the quarters of the season.

We seem to be just good enough to lose. We make splash plays, start out fast, fade entirely in the middle and then turn it on at the end. We are 3-5 but a solid 3-5 team.

What do you guys think of the 2021 Vikings so far?

Seems like we’re good enough to play with anyone. Unfortunately, there’s a serious lack of personality or ability to put teams away. Seems when things go their way and can get a lead Kubiak/Zimmer are completely content running the ball or throwing screen passes until the opponent eventually comes back because the defense can’t make a stop. 

Bad defense and bad offense philosophy with the lead are why the Vikes are looking to be a 6-7 win team. Playing close games will lead to some wins down the stretch but probably not enough losses for a top 10 pick.    

• Like 2

It was a terrible quarter for the Vikings.  The wins and the losses were all ugly.  This isn't just mediocre, they are less than mediocre.  They are a bad team, plain and simple.  I don't think there's a main reason for it, but lots of different ones.  And that clearly comes down to the coaching, because good coaches can put their players in better positions than what has been done to this point.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It was a terrible quarter for the Vikings.  The wins and the losses were all ugly.  This isn't just mediocre, they are less than mediocre.  They are a bad team, plain and simple.  I don't think there's a main reason for it, but lots of different ones.  And that clearly comes down to the coaching, because good coaches can put their players in better positions than what has been done to this point.   

The Vikes aren’t a bad team. They aren’t the Texans, Jags or Dolphins. 

They compete and can play with anyone and have the talent to beat anyone. Unfortunately, again, their lack of killer instinct and focus when it matters is a huge flaw which is leading to more losses than wins at this stage. 

Edited by vikingsrule

32 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The Vikes aren’t a bad team. They aren’t the Texans, Jags or Dolphins. 

They compete and can play with anyone and have the talent to beat anyone. Unfortunately, again, their lack of killer instinct and focus when it matters is a huge flaw which is leading to more losses than wins at this stage. 

The Texans, Jags and Dolphins are a significant step below bad. The Vikings are a bad team, plain and simple, because good teams don't lose those kinds of games that they do.  It's not simply about the talent, it's about the talent coupled with the utilization/team performance of that talent.    IMO, there are 4 levels, there are great teams (I'm not sure there are any), good teams (i.e. Packers), bad teams (Bears, Vikings) and awful/horrible teams (Lions).  The Vikings aren't playing as a team, they are playing as a collection of individuals, thus that means they are a bad team.

Edited by swede700

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

The Texans, Jags and Dolphins are a significant step below bad. The Vikings are a bad team, plain and simple, because good teams don't lose those kinds of games that they do.  It's not simply about the talent, it's about the talent coupled with the utilization/team performance of that talent.    IMO, there are 4 levels, there are great teams (I'm not sure there are any), good teams (i.e. Packers), bad teams (Bears, Vikings) and awful/horrible teams (Lions).  The Vikings aren't playing as a team, they are playing as a collection of individuals, thus that means they are a bad team.

I think descriptions like "mediocre" or "below average"  are more accurate than your "bad".   Mediocre teams lose those types of games.  Bad teams are not close to winning those games.  And awful teams are packing it in after the first quarter/half.   There is a wide level of teams between "good" and "bad".

48 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I think descriptions like "mediocre" or "below average"  are more accurate than your "bad".   Mediocre teams lose those types of games.  Bad teams are not close to winning those games.  And awful teams are packing it in after the first quarter/half.   There is a wide level of teams between "good" and "bad".

This. The 2021 Vikings are very mediocre (and have been for the last 2 years).

We're inconsistent and aren't really elite anywhere but decent in enough most areas to beat bad teams. 

13 minutes ago, viking said:

This. The 2021 Vikings are very mediocre (and have been for the last 2 years).

We're inconsistent and aren't really elite anywhere but decent in enough most areas to beat bad teams. 

We’ve essentially had one very good team under Zimmer and most of that team benefit from a lot of players on rookie deals and without a very expensive QB.

1 hour ago, Snake Plissken said:

I think we're on a similar wavelength, but I just believe saying mediocre is giving them too much benefit of the doubt.  While at the beginning of the season, I viewed them as probably being anywhere from 8-9 to 11-6 (if everything bounced their way), I now feel, at best, they are a 8-9 team, but more likely they're going to be 6-11 and that's below the mediocre level, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by swede700

27 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think we're on a similar wavelength, but I just believe saying mediocre is giving them too much benefit of the doubt.  While at the beginning of the season, I viewed them as probably being anywhere from 8-9 to 11-6 (if everything bounced their way), I now feel, at best, they are a 8-9 team, but more likely they're going to be 6-11 and that's below the mediocre level, as far as I'm concerned.

My expectations given the talent level were definitely higher than whatever anyone wants to call them.   A few synonyms for mediocre are:

Not satisfactory

undistinguished

low quality

inferior

not very good

Which I think they are some pretty good descriptions of the team's performance this year.  LOL    I agree they win about 6-8.  Time to start planning for next season.

I’d be curious to see the comments about this team if they had a better record. This team is only a handful of plays from being 6-2.

Hypothetically, if Cook doesn’t fumble against Cincinnati, Joseph makes the kick against Arizona, Breeland hauls in the interception on the final drive against Dallas the team is 6-2.

At 6-2 they’d be half a game behind Green Bay for the division lead. All without really playing any differently. Would we view them as frauds, or would we be waiting for them to hit their stride? 

Football always amazes me how just a few plays can totally change a season. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d be curious to see the comments about this team if they had a better record. This team is only a handful of plays from being 6-2.

Hypothetically, if Cook doesn’t fumble against Cincinnati, Joseph makes the kick against Arizona, Breeland hauls in the interception on the final drive against Dallas the team is 6-2.

At 6-2 they’d be half a game behind Green Bay for the division lead. All without really playing any differently. Would we view them as frauds, or would we be waiting for them to hit their stride? 

Football always amazes me how just a few plays can totally change a season. 

I don't know about anyone else but I'd be thinking super bowl