Week 10 GDT - Los Angeles Rams at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

7 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I don't think it has anything to due with instant gratification. Well, maybe with some of the base who really believed we could just replicate 2019 again. But one win over the Rams doesn't erase the fact that this is a pretty medicore team by most accounts. We have some very talented players. But as a collective, we just don't play clean and with urgency on most Sundays. It's like we sleepwalk for parts of every game and its EXTREMELY frustrating to watch and digest as a fan. Same mental mistakes, week after week, on both sides of the ball. Not very good situational football and execution. It's been a staple of Shanny's teams here from the onset. We had one year where the talent allowed us to not be hampered by the miscues (2019). But for the most part, this has never been a well coach team. That falls directly on Shanny imo. Great offensive mind. Tactically sound for the most part. But he still lacks as the CEO and tone setter of a group of men. I thought it was telling when Bourne said this off-season that the Pats praticed 'harder' than he ever has as a pro. You could call that a dig@his former employee because he wasn't resigned. BUT I do believe there is some truth to that statement. 

And I'm not saying Shanny needs to go. Not even. He does  a ton more good than bad on most Sundays. But his maturation as a leader has taken longer than I would have expected, being the son of a HOF coach. Times are different and today's player isn't wired like the previous generation so I understand there are issues with that part of preparing the team. But his players dont play 'sharp' or with posie on a consistent basis. That's very telling for me.

The team hasn't played CONSISTENTLY for two years now. I understand the injuries are a major part of that but we aren't the only team that has had the burden of injury-filled years. Some teams use it as an excuse. Other teams find a way. I would like us to be more of the latter moving forward. 

And it isn't just Shanny. Lynch and his roster management has been lacking as well. Coaching turnover plays a part also. So it's a collective of things I see in this team that has me where I'm at in regards to it's potential. One thing last night reiterated to me is that having Jimmy as our QB, coupled with this patchwork O-Line on the right side leaves the margin for error razor-thin as an OC. That's why Shanny looks like he's aged 20 years since week 3. 

You're right, the team hasn't played consistently for a while now. And they've had bad luck with certain calls/turnovers. Doesn't mean that pendulum can't swing the other way the rest of the season. :)

Lombardi's tweet I quoted was more so the mindset of playing Lance a few weeks into the season because of the "well it's all over anyway...let's see Lance!!!" takes that did indeed exist. Which was just premature by some of the 49ers faithfools. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

Jimmy G's PFF grade the last three weeks: 

@ Chicago: 80.2   BTT:1

Arizona: 79.6   BTT: 2

LA: 82.1   BBT: 1

Probably the highest graded starter for three weeks now, which seems like a long way since the Colts game when he was seemingly put out to pasture. Hopefully he doesn't nuke his stock in JAX.

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

so he just needs live reps. Got it, Kyle.

Which he'll get at the appropriate time. He also probably needs the trust of the locker room, which he might not necessarily have yet either. Kyle rightfully, is worried more about years 2 to 10, not year 1 when he already has a decent triggerman in his pocket. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

I'm not feeling the rush, with Lance. I don't expect post season success regardless, but Jimmy hasn't sucked to the level for getting the hook. Finish this season off and then the Lance era begins.

Strong game last night; was both very entertained and proud of em. 

MOAR of that, please n thank u.. 🤩

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldman9er said:

I'm not feeling the rush, with Lance. I don't expect post season success regardless, but Jimmy hasn't sucked to the level for getting the hook. Finish this season off and then the Lance era begins.

Strong game last night; was both very entertained and proud of em. 

MOAR of that, please n thank u.. 🤩

I agree that Jimmy has played well the last couple of weeks before that there were games when he did not look good and was staring down receivers like crazy. Seems like he’s getting the ball out quicker as of late. Whatever is going on needs to continue.

• Like 1

what a fun game this was. this one meant a lot 

Aziz is such a thumper in the middle. Love the physicality he brings to the middle of the field. He was always a great athlete but I questioned if he would be able to read and react fast enough. He always seemed like he was a step behind. This year, hes flown around the field laying lumber. Love it. I said previously he reminds me of Takeo Spikes. Hefty praise but stylistically it fits imo

DJ Jones doesnt get enough love. Hes playing with a bum ankle I think. Gutty. 

We may have found something with rushing the passer with Arden Key from the interior. I know hes always been a DE and we need edge pressure without Dee Ford but he looked really good from that spot. Rams interior OL is not good but Arden may not be quick enough/too tall to threaten OTs around the arc and he may be better suited on the inside in passing situations. 

It was great to see our secondary play well. Norman is playing with more discipline and within the defense. Hes actually a pretty solid corner other than the obvious. I think hes cleaned it up a lot though. No camp to immediate starter, he was rusty. I think the benching was his vernon davis moment. He was a lot better this week. 

They say "Kyle simplified the offense" and maybe its just less choice routes and more defined routes. Typically the WR has to read the defense and change his route accordingly. Jimmy was throwing darts out there. Perfect timing and was surgical in his ball placement. Looked very comfortable from the start. Relaxed. Not pressing, just making the easy play look easy. Definitely his best game of the season, but I guess thats what happens when we are able to just throw the ball over the middle repeatedly and the defense has no idea what to do. 

Great to see JWjr get some work. Using him as FB with deebo at FB was very fun. I am sure we will see them throw the ball with deebo in the backfield as well. 

I think mitchell broke his finger in the first quarter. The fact he had surgery means he has to be out for a few weeks, right? usually surgery means they put a pin in. Can you play with a pin in your hand? idk. I think it was his right hand.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, N4L said:

what a fun game this was. this one meant a lot 

Aziz is such a thumper in the middle. Love the physicality he brings to the middle of the field. He was always a great athlete but I questioned if he would be able to read and react fast enough. He always seemed like he was a step behind. This year, hes flown around the field laying lumber. Love it. I said previously he reminds me of Takeo Spikes. Hefty praise but stylistically it fits imo

DJ Jones doesnt get enough love. Hes playing with a bum ankle I think. Gutty. 

We may have found something with rushing the passer with Arden Key from the interior. I know hes always been a DE and we need edge pressure without Dee Ford but he looked really good from that spot. Rams interior OL is not good but Arden may not be quick enough/too tall to threaten OTs around the arc and he may be better suited on the inside in passing situations. 

It was great to see our secondary play well. Norman is playing with more discipline and within the defense. Hes actually a pretty solid corner other than the obvious. I think hes cleaned it up a lot though. No camp to immediate starter, he was rusty. I think the benching was his vernon davis moment. He was a lot better this week. 

They say "Kyle simplified the offense" and maybe its just less choice routes and more defined routes. Typically the WR has to read the defense and change his route accordingly. Jimmy was throwing darts out there. Perfect timing and was surgical in his ball placement. Looked very comfortable from the start. Relaxed. Not pressing, just making the easy play look easy. Definitely his best game of the season, but I guess thats what happens when we are able to just throw the ball over the middle repeatedly and the defense has no idea what to do. 

Great to see JWjr get some work. Using him as FB with deebo at FB was very fun. I am sure we will see them throw the ball with deebo in the backfield as well. 

I think mitchell broke his finger in the first quarter. The fact he had surgery means he has to be out for a few weeks, right? usually surgery means they put a pin in. Can you play with a pin in your hand? idk. I think it was his right hand.

Shanny expects Mitchell to play this week. 

6 hours ago, N4L said:

Use Jeff as a FB, with Deebo in the backfield, playaction off Deebo, then throw to Jeff. Just screw with the other team's head. 

Then, put a package with Trey and Juice, direct snap it to Juice, who runs an option play with Trey, but throws it to an eligible OL!!!

I tell you, those are the plays Kyle was drawing up in the plane after Justin Fields' pro day.