Week 10 GDT - Los Angeles Rams at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

20 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Yeah I see your point. Problem is he should have especially with Jimmy's injury history.  

Having Trey start because of an injury to Jimmy is an entirely different conversation, and one everybody knows how it will go. Not only because it's already happened. We all knew it had a serious chance of happening at any point this year, and that Kyle would be conservative, and say that he'd rather not have to start Trey, and it's unfortunate that Jimmy is injured, but it was the reason why we went ahead and drafted Trey in the first place. But then the situation would be re-evaluated as Jimmy's injury status would change. And that's what was going to happen, but Trey also got injured, so Jimmy was just barely healthy enough to come back, and he did, so that's where we are now. I think Kyle was ready for that. But he wasn't really prepared for "this team is underperforming, so we'll throw in rookies and prepare for 2022".

If you ask me, you have to try to do a little bit of both. I'm not saying Deommodore Lenoir should have started every game this season just for experience's sake. But you need to have your rookies as primary back-ups. Sometimes, it's just to get on the field for 3 plays because the starter is a little nicked up, or sometimes it's to close out a game that is out of reach for one of the team. Whether you are winning or losing, you can find garbage time for your rookies. Same for Thomas. It's harder for Aaron Banks, because the OL is the one unit on the team you try not to break up. There's so much communication and interaction between those guys, that it's hard to just sub in a guy for no reason. Especially in Kyle's scheme. But DBs, RBs, DLs, WRs... players more accustomed to rotating in and out. You gotta find them some snaps from time to time.

This player development thing is so botched. It's like Kyle took a snapshot of where players were at the second week of camp, and their development froze in time since then. It's either impossible that these players have improved since, it seems. If so, there's a problem with the coaching staff. The game is more than Xs and Os. It feels like minicamp is for skills, training camp is for proving your worth, and regular season is for Xs and Os, in Kyle's mind. But it can't be that monolithic. A team is a live organism. The head coach has to cultivate it.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So if OBJ plays, obviously he will be their #2 target soon enough but if he does not play on Monday, expect a lot of targets to Jefferson.

Wow... that sucks for Woods. If OBJ signed before that injury, the Rams are very "lucky". If he signed after, well, they're very proactive either way. 

8 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Wow... that sucks for Woods. If OBJ signed before that injury, the Rams are very "lucky". If he signed after, well, they're very proactive either way. 

Technically signed today but made decision before Woods injury which happened yesterday.

33 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I'd be very suspicious about OBJ then... he way have Tonya Harding'ed Woods.

They need to look at the cameras to see if OBJ sent anyone to the practice field that morning and tampered with it!

12 minutes ago, adamq said:

Van Jefferson is gonna go off for 120 and 2 tds

Oh yes, Jefferson will have a big game on Monday.

I actually think Williams and Ward will do a solid job on Kupp. Jefferson though and even OJB? Yeah, they will get theirs on this defense. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Is this legit or will he get like 5-7 carries? If he looks good early, will Shanahan ride the hot hand?

I'm not asking as a Rams fan, I'm asking as a bettor. He's +1600 to score a TD which is absurd. Books havent adjusted i

I'd guess under 5, but you just never know

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I'd guess under 5, but you just never know

Plus Jeff Wilson is back as well. I would imagine if it’s not Mitchell back there it will be Wilson and then maybe Sermon. Unless they are trying to slowly bring back Wilson then I could see more carries for Sermon. 

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

I see this and the song from karate kid pops into my head. "You're the best ... Aroooooound..."

We're 6th in yards per play on offense and 8th in yards per play on defense. Both of those are really good. Both of those are usually predictive. A combination should produce a top 5 championship caliber team. We've had like 2 bad games in yards per play on offense and 1 on defense. The way that you undermine all of that good work? Turnovers.  And pass interference penalties. But mostly turnovers. And that turnover margin, usually a thing that isn't predictive from year to year (and one you can use to predict decline pretty comfortably on teams that do significantly well in the stat), has been consistently terrible under Shanahan. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Forge said:

Kevin Sheehan had Jay gruden on and they indicated that apparently we were winning to move #2 overall in 2017 for cousins

Cousins may be worth the #2 pick, but the most damning thing here is putting all your eggs in one basket and not seriously considering any of the 2017 QB prospects. Such a short sided mindset. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Cousins may be worth the #2 pick, but the most damning thing here is putting all your eggs in one basket and not seriously considering any of the 2017 QB prospects. Such a short sided mindset. 

If they had made that choice, I wouldn't have been super thrilled with the idea of ostensibly trading Kaep + 2 OA for Cousins at the time, though ultimately I will admit that Cousins would be worth that trade. 

• Like 1