Random Thoughts

dll2000

17 hours ago, soulman said:

Not sure I get Hahn's reasoning in giving up Heuer and Madrigal for another closer when the SOX already have Liam Hendricks and the starting staff they have.  Is he gonna try and win the WS by shutting out every team they face?  LOL

I look at it the other way - Hahn got a top 3 ALL TIME closer and the best one of 2021 in return for an overdrafted and injured singles hitter and a bullpen arm who can’t get people out at all this year. Both are players with potential, and Heuer could be a closer in time, but Madrigal is probably always gonna be just a guy IMO. 2B only arm. Average fielder. Average to below average instincts as a baserunner. Kinda fast but not fast. Zero power. He’s always gonna be a guy who isn’t killing you to be out there but also from whom you’re looking to upgrade. He’s basically 2B Charles Leno.

If the Sox have the lead after 6 innings with Kimbrel, Kopech and Hendriks in whatever order it’s OVER. Every team wants that in October. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I look at it the other way - Hahn got a top 3 ALL TIME closer and the best one of 2021 in return for an overdrafted and injured singles hitter and a bullpen arm who can’t get people out at all this year. Both are players with potential, and Heuer could be a closer in time, but Madrigal is probably always gonna be just a guy IMO. 2B only arm. Average fielder. Average to below average instincts as a baserunner. Kinda fast but not fast. Zero power. He’s always gonna be a guy who isn’t killing you to be out there but also from whom you’re looking to upgrade. He’s basically 2B Charles Leno.

If the Sox have the lead after 6 innings with Kimbrel, Kopech and Hendriks in whatever order it’s OVER. Every team wants that in October. 

I'd say that we see Madrigal somewhat differently.  He's a solid contact hitter with a high OB % who seldom strikes out.  I don't see him so much as a lead off guy because he's not a super base stealer but more as a #2 guy who can advance the runner.  Or you bat him later in the order as a get on base guy with some RBI types batting behind him.  He's a decent player.

Cub fans should be really happy with him.

Getting Kimbrel with an option for 2022 in exchange for Heuer is almost as bad as the Cubs trading Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio.  Here I agree 100%.  That's an imposing bullpen La Russa can call up to back up a very good starting rotation.  Now, if the can only get Eloy on track along with Robert and Grandall they become a very scary team to match up with.

9 hours ago, soulman said:

I'd say that we see Madrigal somewhat differently.  He's a solid contact hitter with a high OB % who seldom strikes out.  I don't see him so much as a lead off guy because he's not a super base stealer but more as a #2 guy who can advance the runner.  Or you bat him later in the order as a get on base guy with some RBI types batting behind him.  He's a decent player.

I don’t think we see him all too much differently. I agree he’s a decent player (what I meant when I described him as “just a guy” and likened him to Leno) and that he’s all the things you say he is here. I just don’t see him as a difference maker. What you’re describing is a secondary or even tertiary level asset on a good team in the modern game IMO. They have a place, but they’re expendable parts because they’re fairly easily replaceable. There are Nick Madrigal-like players on basically every MLB roster. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t think we see him all too much differently. I agree he’s a decent player (what I meant when I described him as “just a guy” and likened him to Leno) and that he’s all the things you say he is here. I just don’t see him as a difference maker. What you’re describing is a secondary or even tertiary level asset on a good team in the modern game IMO. They have a place, but they’re expendable parts because they’re fairly easily replaceable. There are Nick Madrigal-like players on basically every MLB roster. 

Maybe it's my own background as a player but every team needs run scorers as much as they do run producers.  Madrigal is the former.  But he's no Tim Anderson or Luis Robert or others who can do both by hitting both for power and for average.

I didn't see him as easily replaceable or at least not by anyone we had on the roster so we traded for a Gold Glove 2nd baseman whose power will probably make up for his lower batting and on base average. Hated to see Madrigal go but he was of no use to us now.

Anyway, I'm glad he still in Chicago and part of a Cubs rebuild.  He may prove even more valuable to them than he was to the SOX.

16 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Keep in mind the modern game no longer includes sticky stuff so contact hitters may be becoming more valuable.  That being said Nick does have several flaws especially his focus.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 11:31 AM, AZBearsFan said:

Surprised I haven’t seen any excitement here about the Bulls landing Ayo last night. I’m not even a U of I guy and I’m pretty pumped about it. 

haven't been on FF since the draft. i'm stoked. gonna get his jersey

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bfan said:

Keep in mind the modern game no longer includes sticky stuff so contact hitters may be becoming more valuable.  That being said Nick does have several flaws especially his focus.

Mainly rookie mistake kinda stuff but he was also a rookie hitting .305 in his first year against MLB pitching.  The kid knows how to hit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So whats everyone's favorite beer? MGD, Guinness, and Red Stripe are mine.

I just was given 5 bottles of Two Hearted Ale and after trying one I am confused why my neighbor is mad at me. It's absolute trash. 

Edit - Grapefruit! I taste it! No wonder I hate it. Explains why I tasted sadness when I drank it  

Not much of a beer drinker any longer.  When I do have one I order a Bloody Beer with Bloody Mary mix combined with the beer.  Kind of a Bloody May with a beer chaser all in one.  In cans they call it Chelada. 

Other than that I've always like Leinenkugels.  As a kid growing up in Chicago we used to spend our summer vacations at my grandparents cabin in NW Wisconsin.  Dad and Grandpa would take me with them over to Howland's Resort where we'd sit in the bar me with an orange soda and Dad and Grandpa with their glasses of Leine's.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, soulman said:

Not much of a beer drinker any longer.  When I do have one I order a Bloody Beer with Bloody Mary mix combined with the beer.  Kind of a Bloody May with a beer chaser all in one.  In cans they call it Chelada. 

Other than that I've always like Leinenkugels.  As a kid growing up in Chicago we used to spend our summer vacations at my grandparents cabin in NW Wisconsin.  Dad and Grandpa would take me with them over to Howland's Resort where we'd sit in the bar me with an orange soda and Dad and Grandpa with their glasses of Leine's.

I love making my own bloody mary mix. I'll freeze the mix in cubes too so I don't dilute it, and that makes for a satisfying crunchy end to the drink. I'll make it with or without vodka on a hot day. So good. 

I forgot all about them! Had one of theirs with a lemon on the bottle and it was pretty good. I'll have to try them again, I'm sure now that I like (most) beer more than I use to it should be good still.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I love making my own bloody mary mix. I'll freeze the mix in cubes too so I don't dilute it, and that makes for a satisfying crunchy end to the drink. I'll make it with or without vodka on a hot day. So good. 

I forgot all about them! Had one of theirs with a lemon on the bottle and it was pretty good. I'll have to try them again, I'm sure now that I like (most) beer more than I use to it should be good still.

I love Bloody Mary's as well I just don't drink much hard alcohol anymore so a Bloody Beer kinda subs for a Bloody Mary on occasion.  But if I'm at a brunch or party where they're serving Bloody Mary's I'll allow myself one or two.  Alcohol in moderation will never turn me back into an alcoholic again.

Leine's sells a Summer Shandy that's pretty popular around here.  It seems to have taken over for that foul tasting Zima as a summer drink that the ladies can enjoy.  Men more often than not call it "soda pop beer" but then I'm not one whose ever been into all this high ABV Double IPAs some guy seek out.

If I'm gonna have a straight brew my favorite has always been a Pilsner.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Red Stripe is probably still my all-time favorite. Big fan of Fat Tire, Shiner Bock, and Goose Island, as well. (But Guinness still rocks the casbah, don't get me wrong.) A couple local, regional breweries do some good things, too.

Unfortunately, not enough cash to enjoy all that on a regular basis. 😁 Maybe someday.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, soulman said:

I love Bloody Mary's as well I just don't drink much hard alcohol anymore so a Bloody Beer kinda subs for a Bloody Mary on occasion.  But if I'm at a brunch or party where they're serving Bloody Mary's I'll allow myself one or two.  Alcohol in moderation will never turn me back into an alcoholic again.

Leine's sells a Summer Shandy that's pretty popular around here.  It seems to have taken over for that foul tasting Zima as a summer drink that the ladies can enjoy.  Men more often than not call it "soda pop beer" but then I'm not one whose ever been into all this high ABV Double IPAs some guy seek out.

If I'm gonna have a straight brew my favorite has always been a Pilsner.

I'm 33 and have never been drunk. Not because of some crazy tolerance, but I seem to have inherited my parents' foul attitude when I drink too much. As soon as I feel my face getting warm or the slightest buzz I am an a massive a-hole. So rather than do something I regret I just cut it off and go to soda when I feel anything at all.

IDC if it has a stupid nickname, Redds Apple Ale was my drink of choice for a few weeks. Was crazy about it. But my cravings seem to rotate monthly so its not an option really right now. lol

4 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Red Stripe is probably still my all-time favorite. Big fan of Fat Tire, Shiner Bock, and Goose Island, as well. (But Guinness still rocks the casbah, don't get me wrong.) A couple local, regional breweries do some good things, too.

Unfortunately, not enough cash to enjoy all that on a regular basis. 😁 Maybe someday.

I'm wondering about the Guinness. I've got some Taco Bell farts leaving me and I haven't had any Taco Bell. Until I can think of another reason, I'm blaming the Guinness. lol

Only had Fat Tire once but it was kinda flat. Probably the bar I was at more than the company, the bar was trash and people said a lot of the alcohol got hot, was old, etc. I'll look into Shiner Bock and Goose Island.

That being said, I did make a jalapeno margarita during the 4th and it was AMAZING! Made me want to try my hand at brewing but I'm too cheap to do that. I can't throw out the Two Hearted Ale and it was free. Ugh...

• Like 2

On 8/13/2021 at 8:38 PM, Sugashane said:

I just was given 5 bottles of Two Hearted Ale and after trying one I am confused why my neighbor is mad at me. It's absolute trash. 

Edit - Grapefruit! I taste it! No wonder I hate it. Explains why I tasted sadness when I drank it  

I can’t really drink as I have gout, but when I do I prefer wine to beer.