Which QB would you draft in the 2nd?

LionArkie

Draft which qb with Lions 2nd round pick  

10 members have voted

1. 1. QB Selection

• Sam Howell - North Carolina
    • Kenny Pickett - Pitt
    • Malik Willis - Liberty - (I know he prob won't be here)
    • Carson Strong - Nevada
    • Desmond Ridder - Cincinnati
    • Someone else not on list

Ok, I'm not necessarily for this, but lets for one second pretend QB was the BPA in the second round. The Lions brain trust decides to only draft the BPA and so here we are. In this scenario, which QB would you think to be the BPA and your selection for the 2nd round pick?

This is not a "we just need to go defense", or "we need to build the team than get the qb next year" poll. I'm in both those camps. I'm just interested in who you would want for a qb on this team with the qb prospects coming out of college this year.

Corral was intentionally left off because I think he won't be there in the 2nd, but stranger things have happened.

Edited by LionArkie

Gonna go with Pickett here. He seems to be picking up steam as someone who could be taken in the 1st. If Willis is there, then I would be concerned on why that's the case. It usually is because there are things missing and more often than not, 2nd round QB's tend to not be very successful. If a toolsy guy like Willis drops, it's a bit of a red flag to me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Gonna go with Pickett here. He seems to be picking up steam as someone who could be taken in the 1st. If Willis is there, then I would be concerned on why that's the case. It usually is because there are things missing and more often than not, 2nd round QB's tend to not be very successful. If a toolsy guy like Willis drops, it's a bit of a red flag to me. 

Yeah, I’m kind of thinking if they took a qb in the second, I’d be between Pickett and Strong.

It would be dumb IMO to take a QB in the second unless the Rams really fall off.  If the Rams pick is a few picks ahead of 33, take the QB in the first and get the extra year of control.  I’m not a huge fan of any of these guys but Pickett, Howell, and Ridder all would be decent options that should be there.  Strong scares me with his injury history and inability to move well but he may have the best arm of the bunch.  

In general I don’t want a QB that early but if we do take one of these guys with our second first, I won’t be all that angry. 

• Like 3

Honestly, looking at the Rams and Lions projected draft picks, I could see QB and WR being BPA at late 1st/early 2nd. After taking BPA at top of the draft, I'd be more than okay to build up our offense in that way, if the guys there are the best option. You still have Goff under contract and can let that QB sit and learn without a top 5 pick pressure to start right away. 

I've seen three North Carolina games this season so far, and Howell hasn't looked bad. He's alot more mobile than I read about and has a solid arm. He seems to have good tools but needs work. I wouldn't take him at the top of the draft, but he's someone I think a team could build around and win with. 

I haven't watch too much of Pickett yet. I'm hoping to see some of him soon. 

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Honestly, looking at the Rams and Lions projected draft picks, I could see QB and WR being BPA at late 1st/early 2nd. After taking BPA at top of the draft, I'd be more than okay to build up our offense in that way, if the guys there are the best option. You still have Goff under contract and can let that QB sit and learn without a top 5 pick pressure to start right away. 

I've seen three North Carolina games this season so far, and Howell hasn't looked bad. He's alot more mobile than I read about and has a solid arm. He seems to have good tools but needs work. I wouldn't take him at the top of the draft, but he's someone I think a team could build around and win with. 

I haven't watch too much of Pickett yet. I'm hoping to see some of him soon. 

I haven't seen either play, but have read about both of them. Although I might not like it irl, I too don't think it is out of the realm of possibility one of these guys could be there.  I would only be slightly surprised to see a guy like Corral there, but in reality I don't think that would happen either. Let us know what you think of Pickett when you see him.

14 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It would be dumb IMO to take a QB in the second unless the Rams really fall off.  If the Rams pick is a few picks ahead of 33, take the QB in the first and get the extra year of control.  I’m not a huge fan of any of these guys but Pickett, Howell, and Ridder all would be decent options that should be there.  Strong scares me with his injury history and inability to move well but he may have the best arm of the bunch.  

In general I don’t want a QB that early but if we do take one of these guys with our second first, I won’t be all that angry. 

That's a great point and I definitely agree. 

I like a lot of these guys. I think that Howell is better than some people realize. Ridder has some good tools too but both Ridder and Howell might need to sit for a while. I like Pickett too, but I'm wary of so much of his production coming just this year. 

I think that the problem is that, outside of Willis and Corral, I'm not sure if any of these guys end up being superstars. There might be a Ryan Tannehill or Baker Mayfield in there, and those guys are solid QB's, but they're not going to take over the game. And maybe this front office is fine with that. If you have a Tannehill/Cousins, not-quite-elite type of QB, especially on a rookie deal, you can win a ton of games with a decent team around them. 

Edited by Lions017
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

That's a great point and I definitely agree. 

I like a lot of these guys. I think that Howell is better than some people realize. Ridder has some good tools too but both Ridder and Howell might need to sit for a while. I like Pickett too, but I'm wary of so much of his production coming just this year. 

I think that the problem is that, outside of Willis and Corral, I'm not sure if any of these guys end up being superstars. There might be a Ryan Tannehill or Baker Mayfield in there, and those guys are solid QB's, but they're not going to take over the game. And maybe this front office is fine with that. If you have a Tannehill/Cousins, not-quite-elite type of QB, especially on a rookie deal, you can win a ton of games with a decent team around them. 

I tend to agree with you. I'm not really high on this class at all. I'm thinking Corral is the only one who can probably lock down a starter role and be average at best. The rest I believe to be backups in the league. I'm not very high on this class of qb's.

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

I tend to agree with you. I'm not really high on this class at all. I'm thinking Corral is the only one who can probably lock down a starter role and be average at best. The rest I believe to be backups in the league. I'm not very high on this class of qb's.

I think that a couple of them will end up being starters, just not guys with the highest ceilings. It's also harder than usual to predict which ones it will be. 

One thing that I think will help is that there are some really good organizations and teams, like Pittsburgh and New Orleans, that will be looking for new QB's next year. They have the coaching and talent in place to help some of those guys be successful. Look at what Mac Jones is doing as an example - he was a good but not elite prospect, but New England has a solid team and system around him and he has been good enough to win some games there already. I could see an accurate guy like Pickett being really good for a team like New Orleans, for example. 

• Like 1