Jimmy Garoppolo traded to Niners

Texansfan713

5 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Could have easily been a deal where Shanahan told him his role straight up after he was drafted. Like he did with Cousins where he said the reason why they drafted him was to develop him later down the line to trade him. Different situation obviously because RGIII was drafted that same year as the franchise guy, but the 49ers were going to go out and get someone as their own franchise guy after the season anyway. 49ers just pulled the trigger here because they were in prime position to get ahead before the free agent fiasco started. Lynch and Shanahan inquired about getting Jimmy around the draft months ago. Patriots shot it down then. 

San Fran hit a home run here. It was so obvious for Lynch to pull the trigger.

Shanahan, as the Browns offensive coordinator in 2014, graded Garoppolo highly, and now he gets him for the virtually the same price, draft-pickwise, that the Patriots got him for. At the very least, this is a half-season audition for Garoppolo to be the long-term answer in San Francisco. But he'll be there for longer. 

The Niners can use the franchise tag for 2018 and more than $100 million in cap space to do a long-term deal. If it works out, and Garoppolo is the guy he looked like on September 18, 2016, when he was 18-for-26 for three touchdowns and no picks less than two quarters against Miami before getting hurt, they just stole a franchise quarterback.

4 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Could have easily been a deal where Shanahan told him his role straight up after he was drafted. Like he did with Cousins where he said the reason why they drafted him was to develop him later down the line to trade him. Different situation obviously because RGIII was drafted that same year as the franchise guy, but the 49ers were going to go out and get someone as their own franchise guy after the season anyway. 49ers just pulled the trigger here because they were in prime position to get ahead before the free agent fiasco started. Lynch and Shanahan inquired about getting Jimmy around the draft months ago. Patriots shot it down then. 

Very possible and probably likely. Anyone who was looking at his film from college would know he was raw and wasn't ready to start in the first season. Still don't see the benefit in Jimmy playing this season though. Tank for picks and start rebuilding.

3 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Very possible and probably likely. Anyone who was looking at his film from college would know he was raw and wasn't ready to start in the first season. Still don't see the benefit in Jimmy playing this season though. Tank for picks and start rebuilding.

They have a lot of picks, already. I say use the time to see what you've got with Jimmy, because if it doesn't work out, they can still have another go at the position with 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. Maximise your chances of success.

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

They have a lot of picks, already. I say use the time to see what you've got with Jimmy, because if it doesn't work out, they can still have another go at the position with 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. Maximise your chances of success.

There is a minimal chance of success with the shape of SF's Oline right now. I say you gotta at least wait until some semblance of a tackle gets healthy, like @PapaShogun said. 

2 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

There is a minimal chance of success with the shape of SF's Oline right now. I say you gotta at least wait until some semblance of a tackle gets healthy, like @PapaShogun said. 

I think they'd be best served in trading down from (pick 2) to acquire two lower first round picks to use on the likes of Nelson and McGlinchey, who by all accounts, look like the real-deal of Offensive Linemen. 

2 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

Point me to where anyone said that we could get a 2nd for Hundley SINCE he took over for Rodgers... I'll be waiting patiently.

Well, since he's taken over he's looked like....actually never mind. It's a joke. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

The Patriots are so stupid for trading him for a 2nd. Brady must have really wanted him gone. They got violated in that trade. And to think that the Browns were going to give up more for McCarron.

When you imagine this, do you picture Brady storming in like an outraged Englishmen saying “I demand he be ousted this instant”? Or is it more like a nerdy, left-handed college kid saying “hey man, “it’s just really hard for me to feel safe with Jimmy around”?

I feel the concept of Brady doing this gets funny/even more ridiculous if you actually imagine it. Same goes for the whole hand injury being a ruse.

59 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

When you imagine this, do you picture Brady storming in like an outraged Englishmen saying “I demand he be ousted this instant”? Or is it more like a nerdy, left-handed college kid saying “hey man, “it’s just really hard for me to feel safe with Jimmy around”?

I feel the concept of Brady doing this gets funny/even more ridiculous if you actually imagine it. Same goes for the whole hand injury being a ruse.

I don’t know Brady’s mood and how it went down but that is the only logical way I can make sense of the Pats trading him for a 1st. The timing was bizarre...the compensation was bizarre...it just seemed like dumping to me. 

Archived