Jimmy Garoppolo traded to Niners

Texansfan713

21 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I don’t know Brady’s mood and how it went down but that is the only logical way I can make sense of the Pats trading him for a 1st. The timing was bizarre...the compensation was bizarre...it just seemed like dumping to me. 

They kind of were just dumping him. They wanted him for next season but couldn’t guarantee the only thing he wanted (starting position). So they held on until the last possible second to keep him, but then sought compensation instead of having him walk for nothing. The trade deadline was incoming (“bizarre timing” lol). They called San Fran (a team that showed interest in the offseason) and they sent Jimmy away for their offer. Even if you do accept that the compensation was “bizarre”, not really sure if a team was going to give a first rounder for a QB that had under 100 attempts and a few months left on his contract. 

I truly don’t see how that is somehow less logical than Brady calling up Kraft, demeaning Jimmy needs to be off the team, then the two of them bursting into the facility to tag team Bill Belichick. 

But it’s easier to view the Patriots as either dysfunctional or inherently evil, so not surprised that the “only logical way” you can make sense of it is by doing some eyes-wide-shut thinking. 

43 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

They kind of were just dumping him. They wanted him for next season but couldn’t guarantee the only thing he wanted (starting position). So they held on until the last possible second to keep him, but then sought compensation instead of having him walk for nothing. The trade deadline was incoming (“bizarre timing” lol). They called San Fran (a team that showed interest in the offseason) and they sent Jimmy away for their offer. Even if you do accept that the compensation was “bizarre”, not really sure if a team was going to give a first rounder for a QB that had under 100 attempts and a few months left on his contract. 

I truly don’t see how that is somehow less logical than Brady calling up Kraft, demeaning Jimmy needs to be off the team, then the two of them bursting into the facility to tag team Bill Belichick. 

But it’s easier to view the Patriots as either dysfunctional or inherently evil, so not surprised that the “only logical way” you can make sense of it is by doing some eyes-wide-shut thinking. 

That's a whole lot of nonsense.  Belichick isn't inept.

1.  Belichick should have known Garoppolo wasn't going to commit to an under market deal to be a back up.

2.  Belichick should have known Brady wasn't going to "fall off a cliff"

3.  Belichick would have gotten more for Garoppolo at the draft

4.  Belichick could have gotten more for Garoppolo at the trade deadline if he CALLED MORE THAN ONE MORE TEAM OR ACTUALLY NEGOTIATED THE DEAL INSTEAD OF GIVING HIM AWAY

5.  Belichick could have gotten more for Garoppolo IF HE WAITED FOR THE TRADE DEADLINE

6.  It's already been reported that the Browns were offering the Texans first.  And even if that report was completely 100% false - the lowest I've seen is a 2nd and 3rd.  And again, BELICHICK DID NOT EVEN CALL OTHER TEAMS.  HE COULD HAVE GOTTEN MORE.  IT WAS A DUMP.  

No it's easier to view the situation as...

1.  Belichick as one of the greatest talent evaluators, coaches, and GM's in the history of the league - a guy who doesn't get bent over in a Hershel Walker level deal BECAUSE HE WAS TOO LAZY TO CALL OTHER TEAMS OR ASK FOR ANYTHING MORE.

2.  Brady is actually a human and not a demi-god who is ego-less and age-less and without worries or fears

3.  Kraft is not an evil human being and has a soul and felt a sense of loyalty for Brady after all his pay cuts

Because it's much easier to believe those three things than "lol Belichick is lazy, stupid and completely inept at his job, duh".    There was absolutely nothing that Brady outright demanded JG being traded "like an outraged englishman" or whatever nonsense you're trying to paint it as.   But you're being purposefully ignorant if you don't think Brady felt pressure from JG and that wasn't known by Kraft.   

3 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

That's a whole lot of nonsense.  Belichick isn't inept.

1.  Belichick should have known Garoppolo wasn't going to commit to an under market deal to be a back up.

$17m-$18m is an under the market deal for a first time starting QB? Go figure!

EDIT: Btw, never said or insinuated Belichick was inept. 

2.  Belichick should have known Brady wasn't going to "fall off a cliff"

Wanting backup insurance =/= thinking your QB is going to fall off. It’s actually smart. See: Green Bay Packers.

3.  Belichick would have gotten more for Garoppolo at the draft

Conjecture, but obvious. This doesn’t really change the whole “we wanted to keep him” thought, though. 

4.  Belichick could have gotten more for Garoppolo at the trade deadline if he CALLED MORE THAN ONE MORE TEAM OR ACTUALLY NEGOTIATED THE DEAL INSTEAD OF GIVING HIM AWAY

Again, conjecture...

If we were to assume he’d get a 1st or 2nd + change from another team for a 5 game rental (which is far from certain), it came right out that Bill liked what the 49ers were doing and wanted to give Jimmy a fair shake on things.

Best possible deal? Possibly not. 

5.  Belichick could have gotten more for Garoppolo IF HE WAITED FOR THE TRADE DEADLINE

More conjecture. But explained above, he wanted to give Garoppolo his fair shake. 

6.  It's already been reported that the Browns were offering the Texans first.  And even if that report was completely 100% false - the lowest I've seen is a 2nd and 3rd.  And again, BELICHICK DID NOT EVEN CALL OTHER TEAMS.  HE COULD HAVE GOTTEN MORE.  IT WAS A DUMP.  

I appreciate you feeling the need to repeat yourself and even add the capital letters. Really drives home the point of how serious you are.

No it's easier to view the situation as...

1.  Belichick as one of the greatest talent evaluators, coaches, and GM's in the history of the league - a guy who doesn't get bent over in a Hershel Walker level deal BECAUSE HE WAS TOO LAZY TO CALL OTHER TEAMS OR ASK FOR ANYTHING MORE.

Are you somehow insinuating this deal was even remotely in the same vicinity as the Walker deal..?

2.  Brady is actually a human and not a demi-god who is ego-less and age-less and without worries or fears

It’s actually really easy to imagine Brady not crying to the owner about a team mate. Like, really easy. 

3.  Kraft is not an evil human being and has a soul and felt a sense of loyalty for Brady after all his pay cuts

You know he can feel that without forcing Garoppolo out the door, right? 

Because it's much easier to believe those three things than "lol Belichick is lazy, stupid and completely inept at his job, duh".    There was absolutely nothing that Brady outright demanded JG being traded "like an outraged englishman" or whatever nonsense you're trying to paint it as.   But you're being purposefully ignorant if you don't think Brady felt pressure from JG and that wasn't known by Kraft.   

I’m sorry, it’s hard to understand with the poor grammar - do you think that my joke was serious? My whole point was that imagining Brady whining to the owner about a team mate is hilarious. 

You know one can believe Brady felt “pressure” from Garoppolo without believing that he skipped to the owner and demanded a trade, right?

Brady’s uber competitive and he has said (albeit, probably overstating) that he views every opportunity to take the field as a job interview. If you’re to believe him, his job is never secure. Obviously, common sense says he’s being hyperbolic, but his mindset is to be competitive. Does that mean he felt pressure from a young, flashy backup? Maybe, even probably. Does that mean he went to the owner to get the guy off the team? Sort of a stretch. 

I’ll reiterate, you’ll believe what you want. Somehow the anonymous reports of Brady overstepping Belichick are more logical or believable than the reports saying they wanted to keep him long term. I can lead you to water but I can’t get you to drink it, so carry on, sir. 

Archived