49ers release Jalen Hurd WITH injury designation

N4L

How many championships will the 49ers win now that Jalen Hurd got cut?   

10 members have voted

1. 1. Better 49ers career

• AJ Jenkins
    • Jalen Hurd
  2. 2. How many championships will the 49ers win now that Jalen Hurd got cut?

• None
    • A Bajillion
    • Equal to the number of career catches Hurd has

49er legend 

Perhaps it means that Kyle has given up some amount of personnel control??? The only reason Hurd was drafted, the only reason he made the initial 53, was Kyle. 

So to me, this is big news because this was one of Kyle's guys, and he just got released. 

Thankfully this does save us some money because he was still on his rookie deal, as others point out below

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

Baby steps, Kyle. Next he'll dress Sermon instead of Hasty... maybe he's not ready for that...

I'm weird like that, but I still think Hurd might do something. Or maybe he never had the competitive fire to be an NFL player and we'll never hear from him again. I don't know. 

We actually did save about 850K this year (prorated base, 425K). His contract wasn't guaranteed. Lombardi posted something different, but this is how spotrac has it laid out. 

Not sure it's indicative of anything. The team may have also gotten more information from medical and they just realized that it wasn't going to get much better. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

We actually did save about 850K this year (prorated base, 425K). His contract wasn't guaranteed. Lombardi posted something different, but this is how spotrac has it laid out. 

Not sure it's indicative of anything. The team may have also gotten more information from medical and they just realized that it wasn't going to get much better. 

His contract was guaranteed because he made the initial 53

We saved nothing. That is why this move might be indicative of changes being made behind the scenes, or it could mean as you suggest that he will never play and are tired of committing resources to his care

8 minutes ago, N4L said:

You have to have 4 years in the league for that. Unless you're talking about something else I'm not sure of. But I think what you're referring to is the vested veteran salary guarantee. 

And it's not really guaranteed, but rather a 1x termination payout that a player can request. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, N4L said:

We saved nothing. That is why this move might be indicative of changes being made behind the scenes, or it could mean as you suggest that he will never play and are tired of committing resources to his care

No, only veterans with 4 or more accrued years have their salary GTD week 1, Hurd was on his rookie deal.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

You have to have 4 years in the league for that. Unless you're talking about something else I'm not sure of. But I think what you're referring to is the vested veteran salary guarantee. 

And it's not really guaranteed, but rather a 1x termination payout that a player can request. 

No, he didn't have any GTD money, they saved $392,916, but they added two guys to the PS(Kaufusi & Smith) both making $82,800 for rest of the season, it's a net savings of $227,316. We saved $1,078,593 for 2022.

2 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

No, only veterans with 4 or more accrued years have their salary GTD week 1, Hurd was on his rookie deal.

If thats the case, why the hell did we wait so long? lol 

I understand now why there was no injury designation, that would have had him revert to IR which means we would still have to pay him. 

1 minute ago, N4L said:

I understand now why there was no injury designation, that would have had him revert to IR which means we would still have to pay him. 

Maybe it's something with Hurd? Maybe he doesn't like the way things are going and wants to move on. Who knows. I really liked the idea of him playing in our offense, especially watching him in that pre-season game against Dallas and reading what Peter King had to say about him when he was at TC. Oh well, can't win them all (or can't win hardly any in our current state lol). 

1 minute ago, N4L said:

Have no idea, maybe Kyle was hoping he'd be able to return, but realized, finally, that Hurd wasn't gonna return, he looked good in 1 preseason game, but hurt his back, it sucks, he had promise, wasted pick now. But 2019 yielded 4 long term guys IMO, Bosa, Deebo, Wish, & Dre. It sucks, but if you follow me, you know how I say the draft is a crapshoot, also success rate for a GM drafting is between 30%-35%, and most draft picks don't make it past their 3rd yr of their rookie contract, let alone a 2nd contract. 

56 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Baby steps, Kyle. Next he'll dress Sermon instead of Hasty... maybe he's not ready for that...

I'm weird like that, but I still think Hurd might do something. Or maybe he never had the competitive fire to be an NFL player and we'll never hear from him again. I don't know. 

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, N4L said:

He WAS released with an injury designation per Maiocco. He had to be released with an injury designation since he was already on IR. In order to be straight out released, they would have had to active him from IR first. So yeah, he is free to sign anywhere, but it is unlikely he could pass a physical. Also, I disagree that the only reason he was drafted was because of Shanahan. Some other team definitely would have drafted him in the late rounds. But yeah, the only reason he was a day two pick was Shanahan.

The dude is probably done, which is too bad. He had potential, but injuries (and a possible lack of desire) are a you know what. I wouldn't be too surprised if he ended up in training camp and on a practice squad somewhere next year, but it sure seems like he is done.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, struby3 said:

Also, I disagree that the only reason he was drafted was because of Shanahan. Some other team definitely would have drafted him in the late rounds. But yeah, the only reason he was a day two pick was Shanahan.

I meant that the only reason the 49ers drafted him was because of Kyle. When we took him, John said "I didn't know much about him and then the coaching staff (aka Kyle) showed me what their plan was for him and I was like ok, we gotta get this guy" 

I feel bad for him personally, but at least he did make a couple million dollars over the last few years. 

• Like 1