49ers release Jalen Hurd WITH injury designation

N4L

How many championships will the 49ers win now that Jalen Hurd got cut?   

10 members have voted

1. 1. Better 49ers career

• AJ Jenkins
    • Jalen Hurd
  2. 2. How many championships will the 49ers win now that Jalen Hurd got cut?

• None
    • A Bajillion
    • Equal to the number of career catches Hurd has

Someone help me understand this ground swell of support to get Sermon some run. I mean, what has done in a Niner uniform to ignite such clamor from fans to see him get significant pt??

It'd be different if the run game had been struggling or the guy(s) on the field were ineffective. Quite the contrary. Mitchell has been the lone bight spot in a very forgettable first half of the season. Hasty is a better receiving threat out of the backfield and was playing very well until a high ankle spraind derailed his season. Not saying Sermon is a bum or anything but its not like the run game needs some sort of infusion of new blood or a different look. The run game needs more from the QB position to flourish, not another body thrown into the rotation imo. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Someone help me understand this ground swell of support to get Sermon some run. I mean, what has done in a Niner uniform to ignite such clamor from fans to see him get significant pt??

It'd be different if the run game had been struggling or the guy(s) on the field were ineffective. Quite the contrary. Mitchell has been the lone bight spot in a very forgettable first half of the season. Hasty is a better receiving threat out of the backfield and was playing very well until a high ankle spraind derailed his season. Not saying Sermon is a bum or anything but its not like the run game needs some sort of infusion of new blood or a different look. The run game needs more from the QB position to flourish, not another body thrown into the rotation imo. 

For me the main thing is what he can bring running between the tackles. Mitchell is great on those outside runs where there is one hole and he just has to hit it. Sermon in the playing time he has gotten was better between the tackles than outside of them. In general though i feel his running style fits better when we commit to Lance where you have Lance that can threaten the edge instead of having that come from you RB.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I think it comes from a general lack of return on investment on the draft class. It can't be Mitchell alone salvaging this group, or else it speaks of the incompetence of the front office. But I was thinking about this this morning. The 2021 class wasn't really counted on. From my standpoint, that's a really hard proposition to accept. It feels very 2012-esque. I feel like a rookie who has very little impact in his first year generally has very little impact the rest of his career. Is it confidence building? I don't know. These guys were the stars of their teams in college, and suddenly, they're told they're nobodies and left to the side. Sure, it builds humility. But I'm not sure we're building stars with that.

Our starting RBs were going to be Mostert and Wilson, without question. Both on the last year of their contracts. One who is a great outside runner, the other a great inside runner. Look who we drafted: Sermon who is a great inside runner, and Mitchell who is a great outside runner. The obvious plan there is to have the two starters share the load, and the two rookies take over as we let them go in free agency. We drafted Lenoir and Thomas. We have Verrett, Moseley and Williams one contract years. Lenoir was seen as more of an inside guy, to take over for Williams, and Thomas an outside guy, to take over one of the 2 outside spots, while, I assume, we re-sign either Moseley or Verrett to man the other spot, but not both of them, for financial reasons. Now Moseley isn't having a great season, and Verrett is probably going to go back to the bottom of the salary hierarchy because he once again can't stay on the field. So it wouldn't surprise me if we re-signed both at this point. Banks was drafted, in my opinion, either thinking he would flat out beat Brunskill, or eventually be Tomlinson's replacement (contract year, huh? we seem to have a lot of those). So, I guess the FO really thought we'd redshirt the whole rookie class, and they'd somehow be ready by year 2 to become starters at key spots. Not just one or two of these guys. ALL OF THEM. Including the third overall pick in the whole draft. So, next year, we have to assume we're going to have 5-6 new starters, on their second year in the league, with very little experience. That's scary.

• Like 2