Garoppolo to San Francisco

Apparition

A few things

1. This means more Brady for more of my life, which fills me with genuine joy

2. I would definitely have liked more for Jimmy, but...

3. He's being over-hyped. Which I guess is natural, considering he showed plenty flashes of franchise-like QB talent. He still makes pretty aggressive mistakes though, like a green QB would.

He has such knowledge of our playbook, is this an issue?

2 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

He has such knowledge of our playbook, is this an issue?

Wouldn't have thought so. Don't think we play the 9ers this year, and I imagine a lot changes from season to season. We have let longterm backups go before, I think it's just part of being in the league. All of the tape is available for people to watch anyway, so they already have a lot of the information.

Well, I actually liked the move.

It seems that the team really tried to keep Jimmy, and if they believed he had the potential to be a franchise qb, that is what that should have done. But given the fact that Brady has not taken a step back and that Jimmy is pushing to play now that didn't work it out. We got a second that is almost a first(a similar pick to the one we used to get Cooks).

I'm happy we are having Brady for a few more years, and I believe that as long as we have him we are a championship team. I believe that with him in the helm we still have time to develop a young QB behind him.

I also won't be surprised if we trade that second round pick to get someone to help the team right now. 

1 hour ago, biggbrd said:
2 hours ago, everlong said:

We went 11-5 with Matt Cassel.

Against an easier schedule with most of a team who had just gone 18-1 and put up the best season of offence seen to that date.

Everything was easier for Cassel in 2008 than it would be for Jimmy in 2017. Cassel had Moss and Welker, Jimmy doesnt have a bail out guy like Moss. Matt also had a much much much better defense. 

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Everything was easier for Cassel in 2008 than it would be for Jimmy in 2017. Cassel had Moss and Welker, Jimmy doesnt have a bail out guy like Moss. Matt also had a much much much better defense. 

It's still Matt Cassel. As long as the QB isn't someone thoroughly incompetent like Jimmy Clausen (incompetence that would never get past Belichick/McDaniels), they're winning at least 10 games.

6 minutes ago, everlong said:

It's still Matt Cassel. As long as the QB isn't someone thoroughly incompetent like Jimmy Clausen (incompetence that would never get past Belichick/McDaniels), they're winning at least 10 games.

If Jimmy started each game this season, the Patriots still lose to KC and and Car but also likely drop the Bucs and Texans games. The Jets could go either way. At best, we would be 4-4 right now, but more likely 3-5.  Matt Cassel doing well a decade ago with a completely different team means almost nothing. Dont forget, Cassel was just as highly regarded as Brady's backup as Jimmy is right now. Then he got traded for an early second, started games, did ok, then became a back up for the rest of his career. 

Archived