Garoppolo to San Francisco

Apparition

39 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

...maybe Jimmy will play for the 49ers for a few years, then - when Brady retires - he fakes an injury, gets cut and re-signs here?

It seems like a legitimate tactic these days.

I don't think this will happen and I realize that you're being facetious, but Bennet coming back made me wonder how interesting it is that BB is never really thought of as a player's coach, but veterans just keep coming back to play for him (e.g. Blount coming back a few years ago, various veterans restructuring contracts to stay with the team). Granted it's most likely the championship appeal, but I think BB has a strong ability to find the leaders to create a "comfortable" locker room environment.

2 hours ago, LD696 said:

I don't think this will happen and I realize that you're being facetious, but Bennet coming back made me wonder how interesting it is that BB is never really thought of as a player's coach, but veterans just keep coming back to play for him (e.g. Blount coming back a few years ago, various veterans restructuring contracts to stay with the team). Granted it's most likely the championship appeal, but I think BB has a strong ability to find the leaders to create a "comfortable" locker room environment.

Bennett was claimed, he didnt have a choice

On 11/10/2017 at 6:01 PM, Deadpulse said:

Bennett was claimed, he didnt have a choice

Didn’t Bennett say he was going to commit to surgery, then received a call from BB, and now evidently seems intent to play through his injury? He may not have had a choice on whether or not the team picked him up, but he easily could have pulled the BS he did in Green Bay and not played.

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Didn’t Bennett say he was going to commit to surgery, then received a call from BB, and now evidently seems intent to play through his injury? He may not have had a choice on whether or not the team picked him up, but he easily could have pulled the BS he did in Green Bay and not played.

That's my understand of it. He needs surgery, but the ailment isn't debilitating. He wants another ring.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Starless said:

How big of a mark do you take Belichick for?

At the time it was a super high 2nd round pick. Jimmy G is a FA in the offseason. May have been able to use that as leverage. Like give them a 3rd and 4th, but that is an extra pick. 

In whatever case, it seems like the deal worked out for the Niners.

7 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

This whole story requires us to believe that Belichick’s heart grew three sizes this winter, but more importantly it totally adds context to the Jamie Collins trade, right? If he didn’t want to send Garoppolo to the Browns because he thought they would ruin his career, then sending Collins to Cleveland was ice cold.

That's some Corleone ish right there.

Archived