Garoppolo to San Francisco

Apparition

BB on the trade:

We probably had in my mind, the best QB situation in the league for the last 2 1/2 years. It is just not sustainable the way things are set up. Not something we wanted to walk away from. I felt we rode it out as long as we could. Over a period of time, explored every option possible to sustain it. At this point, felt like we had to make a decision. Very complex situation on multiple levels. This is really the last window that we had, we did what we felt was best for the team. Many things involved in this whole process.

It sounds like they wanted to keep him but got to a point where they knew they couldnt, found the best deal, and went with it. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

BB on the trade:

It sounds like they wanted to keep him but got to a point where they knew they couldnt, found the best deal, and went with it. 

Really interesting quote, gives a bit of an idea of how they felt about Jimmy, lends credence to the extension talks etc.

16 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

BB on the trade:

That's a rare, honest appraisal of the situation. You don't often hear BB say we have the best (X) situation in the league 

14 minutes ago, lancerman said:

If the Pats had to play Brisett their season was over

This is true no matter the backup QB with a SB or bust mentality. However the Brisett trade was already bad with Dorsett being an 8th option in the passing game BARELY beating out Hollister in targets (8 to 6) with the gap even smaller with actual receptions (4 to 3). Its not even that he is buried on the WR chart. He is 4th on a depth chart that has been with out 1 to 2 guys at times. Jacoby was a young QB that could have developed underneath Brady with Jimmy now gone. Currently there is not even a scrap to cling to when it comes to QB of the future. This worsens an already bad trade for sure. If Brisett/Dorsett had any positive value, this trade might not influence the perception of that. 

On 31/10/2017 at 1:23 PM, Pats#1 said:

This makes the Brisset trade look even worse IMO

Do you think if BB had any intention of letting Jimmy go at the time we swapped Brisset, that he'd have still shipped Brissett on? I think he probably still would, but it's worth thinking about.

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

This is true no matter the backup QB with a SB or bust mentality. However the Brisett trade was already bad with Dorsett being an 8th option in the passing game BARELY beating out Hollister in targets (8 to 6) with the gap even smaller with actual receptions (4 to 3). Its not even that he is buried on the WR chart. He is 4th on a depth chart that has been with out 1 to 2 guys at times. Jacoby was a young QB that could have developed underneath Brady with Jimmy now gone. Currently there is not even a scrap to cling to when it comes to QB of the future. This worsens an already bad trade for sure. If Brisett/Dorsett had any positive value, this trade might not influence the perception of that. 

We traded a redundant QB who added nothing for more depth at a banged up position. We were more going to get much for Brisett

48 minutes ago, lancerman said:

We traded a redundant QB who added nothing for more depth at a banged up position. We were more going to get much for Brisett

we traded a young QB who showed flashes for a WR who has zero value. might as well kept him. 

On 10/30/2017 at 5:43 PM, PatriotsWin! said:

So who's our backup now? Do 49ers send us back Hoyer (is he injured?)? Do we sign Kaepernick?

That would be awesome. 

And I am shocked by this move. Like someone else said, do they really believe Brady is gonna be around for alot longer?

7 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

That would be awesome. 

And I am shocked by this move. Like someone else said, do they really believe Brady is gonna be around for alot longer?

I wouldn't be too shocked, the day where we had to chose between the two had to come.

They had to have kept Jimmy onboard for the first half of this season as an insurance policy. We MIGHT have been able to get more for him in March, when demand was massively greater than supply, with QB needy teams staring down a (perceived) weak QB class, and a poor QB free agency. However, we kept him on, which suggests BB really was not sure, heading in to the season.

If Brady showed signs of father time, Jimmy gets the guarantee and we probably FT him. Brady, however, is playing at around his best click, showing no signs of slowing down. Jimmy wants to be a starter, and we couldn't offer him that. 

You have to think that BB, Kraft, Caseiro etc DO believe Brady will be around for a few more years yet, and they are gambling on health. 

Pats FO wanted to make a deal, spent offseason and first 8 weeks trying (also got 8 weeks insurance). They would rather franchise tag Butler than Jimmy. Made a decision while they had the last remaining leverage.

Hoping that is the case, as the golf analysts rumors about BB wanting to get rid of Brady and Kraft stepping in are just plain weird.

2 hours ago, iothar said:

Pats FO wanted to make a deal, spent offseason and first 8 weeks trying (also got 8 weeks insurance). They would rather franchise tag Butler than Jimmy. Made a decision while they had the last remaining leverage.

Hoping that is the case, as the golf analysts rumors about BB wanting to get rid of Brady and Kraft stepping in are just plain weird.

We couldn't FT Jimmy whilst Brady was around. I don't think that was ever on the table. 

I think BB COULD have shipped him the spring for slightly more, maybe, but again - he had to see what he had with Brady. Can't sell Garopp then your 40 year old QB finally sucks. 

Not buying the Kraft blocking Brady-trade thing, but....you know, it wouldn't surprise me if Bill planned on trading him instead of Jimbo. He's always for the future, after all. (Aside from this deal, which seems unique).

13 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

we traded a young QB who showed flashes for a WR who has zero value. might as well kept him. 

We traded a young third string QB who got shut out in the one game he lost and needed the defense to pitch a shut out in the one game he won who went to Indy and so far has only beat the two last winless teams in the league for a WR who added depth to a position that lost its best player and is constantly banged up. 

There was no value Brisett. The difference between going to him at third string and finding someone unsigned off the scrap heap was marginal. At that point I would have started advocating for Kaepernick because he is many times a better option than Brisett. 

17 minutes ago, lancerman said:

There was no value Brisett. The difference between going to him at third string and finding someone unsigned off the scrap heap was marginal.

This point has more significance for Dorsett than Brissett. At least Brissett has potential, Dorsett is no better than a scrap heap replacement. Even when guys have been banged up he still doesnt contribute, we just run 1 WR sets...

Archived