GDT - Week 10 - vs relevant only due to constant failure

Hunter2_1

bill-belichick-brownsjpg.jpg

In a parallel universe - where the Browns are competent....

Actually, they're a very competent team and we need to be peak Pats at home in November to win this one. They are currently;

11th in yard per game. A lot of this is obviously the run game, where they average 160 yards per game on the ground, easily 1st in the league. The pass yards per game is pretty low at 25th

On D, they are 3rd in total D for yards per game, 3rd at stopping the run (YPG).They are 10th best at not giving up points (we are 4th). They're right at the top in pressures too, but have a 0 differential in turnovers. 

They generate pressure on 28.4% of QB drop backs (2nd), we generate pressure on 24.7% (17th)

What the opposition are saying;

"right now NEs run defense isn’t all that great and their DL isn’t all that great either. It be great to get Hunt back this week as well"

"Jones is a statue back there.  It would be best to make this kid uncomfortable.  I can't handle the 4 man front ALL the time, where we get 0 pressure.  I would rather man up on the corners, and start sending a few exotic blitzes to rile Mac up!!!!"

"why do people think the Pats are going to magically learn how to stop the run this week? They are giving up 108yards on the ground per game this season. Guess what, the browns will be the best offensive line and best RB they have seen all year. "

"The Browns offense and defenses are the worst nightmare matchup scenario for New England."

"NE spreads its cheeks whenever facing an effective multidimensional running attack. They don't adjust well when an offensive attack is versatile via the run and pass. Their line doesn't generate push and easily gets mauled in the run game against skilled RBs. They are also one of the most susceptible teams on seam and vertical routes b/c of the lack of pass rush and the their DBs being caught with bad eyes."

"  with Mac who only throws short" (....he's actually 16th in intended air yards. Ahead of Dak and A-Rod! :D) 

History

Remember this from last time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTeWoV90rho

A Lawrence Guy interception!! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzs5atEFFic

3 turn overs in 3 consecutive plays!!

Not sure of the status of Chubb, but assuming he plays, this is a tough game for us. Our run defense is better than they are saying (if you look at YPC), and I think we should be looking to rattle Baker early and often and he gets the patter-feet when his reads are taken away, and his accuracy goes. We don't play man coverage like we did last time they played us (peak boogeymen) but we do have a better pass rush now. 

I think they will use that elite run game well though. I expect them to have long scoring plays, so our offense MUST play better than last week. If we play like we did last week on D - we stand a very good chance. If we play like we did on O last week - Cleveland will take advantage where Carolina didn't. 

I think it's a bad matchup for us on offense, in that we need to be able to run the ball because CLE are great at pressuring QB without needing to blitz, but their run defense is also elite. I can't see many pathways other than Mac and the playcalling bringing their A-game. Or the run game getting creative and somehow surprising their D. When they have the ball, I think it's similar. We can scramble Baker, we can be stingy against the run, we are kind of built for this type of offense.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

Yesterday

DID NOT PARTICIPATE

Patriots

• RB Damien Harris (concussion)
  • RB Rhamondre Stevenson (concussion)
  • WR Gunner Olszewski (concussion)
  • LB Jamie Collins (ankle)

Browns

• WR Donovan Peoples-Jones (not injury related)
  • C J.C. Tretter (knee)
  • DE Myles Garrett (foot)
  • DE Takkarist McKinley (groin)

I feel like this game dictates the rest of the season. 

A loss, and we chalk this season up to Mac's training year, put playoffs out of our minds, a WC slot would be a pleasant surprise but by no means an expectation

A win and we are suddenly competing for the AFC East crown the rest of the way. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I feel like this game dictates the rest of the season. 

A loss, and we chalk this season up to Mac's training year, put playoffs out of our minds, a WC slot would be a pleasant surprise but by no means an expectation

A win and we are suddenly competing for the AFC East crown the rest of the way. 

Yeah it does feel pivotal

However, say we lose this. Do you not look at the next 5 games and think we could get it back on track? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Funny how those pull quotes seem to be betting on the Pats having a bad run defense when it's currently 9th in the league and the defense is 5th in DVOA.

Yeah I don't get why that poster thinks we have a really bad run defense. Used the YPG given up, but that's not reliable. 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What the opposition are saying;

"right now NEs run defense isn’t all that great and their DL isn’t all that great either. It be great to get Hunt back this week as well"

"Jones is a statue back there.  It would be best to make this kid uncomfortable.  I can't handle the 4 man front ALL the time, where we get 0 pressure.  I would rather man up on the corners, and start sending a few exotic blitzes to rile Mac up!!!!"

"why do people think the Pats are going to magically learn how to stop the run this week? They are giving up 108yards on the ground per game this season. Guess what, the browns will be the best offensive line and best RB they have seen all year. "

"The Browns offense and defenses are the worst nightmare matchup scenario for New England."

"NE spreads its cheeks whenever facing an effective multidimensional running attack. They don't adjust well when an offensive attack is versatile via the run and pass. Their line doesn't generate push and easily gets mauled in the run game against skilled RBs. They are also one of the most susceptible teams on seam and vertical routes b/c of the lack of pass rush and the their DBs being caught with bad eyes."

"  with Mac who only throws short" (....he's actually 16th in intended air yards. Ahead of Dak and A-Rod! :D) 

To be fair, those statements were made before 3 of those 4 RB (and IMO the best in the league in Chubb) tested positive for Covid. I'd love to see this matchup with a healthy Chubb and Felton.

13 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah I don't get why that poster thinks we have a really bad run defense. Used the YPG given up, but that's not reliable. 

also, 108 ypg is... not that much

Anyway, if Chubb plays then I expect a defensive game plan similar to what we saw against the Panthers - load up the box and dare them to throw. The Browns will probably have more success just because Mayfield is a far better QB than Darnold, but he can also be baited into throwing picks if you do a good job disguising coverage. Their WR corps is average - a bunch of guys who are good at getting deep, but no real gamebreakers. The one aspect of their passing offense that gives me pause is the Njoku/Hooper combo because this Pats defense didn't do great against the one really good TE it faced this year (Schultz). 

I am concerned about the Pats' offense because of the quality of the Browns pass rush and the fact that there's a good chance both Harris and Stevenson miss this game. If the Pats offense has to turn one-dimensional and rely on Mac to McCorkle the ball down the field, I can see this game turning into another grind like the Bucs game, except the Browns have significantly better secondary depth than the Bucs did in that one. 

I feel like the Pats are gonna need a non-offensive score or two to win this one.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Apparition said:

also, 108 ypg is... not that much

Anyway, if Chubb plays then I expect a defensive game plan similar to what we saw against the Panthers - load up the box and dare them to throw. The Browns will probably have more success just because Mayfield is a far better QB than Darnold, but he can also be baited into throwing picks if you do a good job disguising coverage. Their WR corps is average - a bunch of guys who are good at getting deep, but no real gamebreakers. The one aspect of their passing offense that gives me pause is the Njoku/Hooper combo because this Pats defense didn't do great against the one really good TE it faced this year (Schultz). 

I am concerned about the Pats' offense because of the quality of the Browns pass rush and the fact that there's a good chance both Harris and Stevenson miss this game. If the Pats offense has to turn one-dimensional and rely on Mac to McCorkle the ball down the field, I can see this game turning into another grind like the Bucs game, except the Browns have significantly better secondary depth than the Bucs did in that one. 

I feel like the Pats are gonna need a non-offensive score or two to win this one.

Agree with everything

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yesterday

DID NOT PARTICIPATE

Patriots

• RB Damien Harris (concussion)
  • RB Rhamondre Stevenson (concussion)
  • WR Gunner Olszewski (concussion)
  • LB Jamie Collins (ankle)

Browns

• WR Donovan Peoples-Jones (not injury related)
  • C J.C. Tretter (knee)
  • DE Myles Garrett (foot)
  • DE Takkarist McKinley (groin)

Oof. If Harris and Stevenon are both out that means the run game is all Bolden and Taylor.

...might see a lot of passes on Sunday.

33 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Is Chubb definitely out then?

Unless he tests negative twice, yes, and I haven't heard any updates. The entire Browns facility is also on COVID protocol, so basically nothing but virtual everything except for limited field practice time. No idea.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

To be fair, those statements were made before 3 of those 4 RB (and IMO the best in the league in Chubb) tested positive for Covid. I'd love to see this matchup with a healthy Chubb and Felton.

And I think a certain charlatan is responsible for most of those quotes.