49ers Trade for Jimmy Garoppolo

GW21

32 minutes ago, N4L said:

Imo there is a huge difference between 'best' and 'proven'. Are the other guys more proven? Sure. Are they better? That is yet to be seen. 

Sure, but generally a category in determining who is better is based on what they have proven. Could Jimmy G be better than Goff? Absolutely. I don't think Goff is coming in here and doing what Jimmy G did last year, so there's that. But I have no way of knowing or proving that either. Personally, I would put them in the same tier as generally unproven commodities still. There's certainly not enough evidence to support either as better than the other definitively. I'll give Goff the edge due to a slightly higher sample size but you're basically talking 2a / 2b. I'll give Goff 2A just because he's played more, which means that defenses have already begun to adjust and defend against him. 

Wilson has the largest sample size but he certainly has his limitations. Without the knack for scrambling around and making miracle (almost lucky) completions at the end of games, I don't think he would be viewed as a viable starter.

All quarterbacks have limitations. Jimmy G still can't really throw a deep ball, and I don't know how he responds to when defenses take away the middle of the field. One of the things I'm looking forward to seeing next year. There will likely come a time when Wilson doesn't have a knack for those things that you are describing and may not be a viable quarterback, but for right now he does, and he makes it work. It has to be considered part of his game, so I'm certainly not going to hold that against him. If he had been several inches taller, most believe (even back then) he would have been a first round pick - people loved him as a quarterback, so his talent has never really been a question as a quarterback, only his height. Yes, maybe he struggles straight line in the pocket, but he doesn't need to be good there...he's good without it. 

Goff had a great year, no doubt. But it was preceded by a very bad year. He certainly showed some high quality, heady qb play with his ability to read the field and get the ball to playmakers. I saw a ton of guys running free and he did a good job of getting the ball to those guys and allowing YAC. I just don't get how people act like goff is a proven commodity, and say that Garoppolo isn't.

Well, I think a lot of that is just Rams fans defending their guy - as they should. I would give him the slightest of bumps (as I said, 2a/2b basically) just for having played more, but there is nothing to me that supports one definitively over the other. But they should definitely back their guy as the higher rated. I'm a sample size guy  for everything. Always have been, so for me, neither has proven anything to me just yet, just as Watson in Houston hasn't. I'm hopeful in Jimmy G, but I'm not going to lie, the bigger reason I have faith in Jimmy G moving forward is Shanny, not actually Jimmy G's talent. I think Jimmy's skill set is just a perfect match for what Shanny does extremely well. To put it another way - Matt ryan is a quality quarterback. I'd have in that fringe top 10, probably around #12 ordinarily. With Shanny, I think that Matt Ryan in probably 5-7. There's no change in Ryan as a player, he's still the same guy, Shanny just puts him in a great position to succeed more often. Same thing here. I have no idea where Jimmy G base talent line is. But let's say it's around #15 - well then with Shanny, I think he's close to top 10. If he's a top 10 type guy, then with Shanny, I think he has a change to be top 5 type. 

I will put the question to you like this, if you had to win one game, which QB would you rather have on your team? 

It's still Wilson

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I would hope that people are getting smarter than that, but I know that I'll be disappointed if I do. The demand sets the market, and if anyone thinks that Jimmy wouldn't get whatever deal we are going to give him (which is going to be in line with the highest paid quarterbacks in the NFL) on the open market, they don't understand the crazy demand and price of obtaining a quarterback. 

... which also explains why QBs you sometimes rate as "second rounders" actually end up going in the first.

Just now, big9erfan said:

... which also explains why QBs you sometimes rate as "second rounders" actually end up going in the first.

The guys I rate as second rounders are actually third rounders in my eyes. They are already getting the bump up for the premium of the position. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The guys I rate as second rounders are actually third rounders in my eyes. They are already getting the bump up for the premium of the position. 

:) which also goes to show how much risk teams are willing to take in their search for a great QB.

Just now, big9erfan said:

:) which also goes to show how much risk teams are willing to take in their search for a great QB.

Sure, sometimes to the point of pure stupidity...I'm looking at you Cleveland and Brandon Weeden. 

Archived