49ers Trade for Jimmy Garoppolo

GW21

Just now, PapaShogun said:

This is very strange. A trade like this during the middle of the season. So I wonder when we can expect to see him play in a game. Also, I wonder if Shanahan and Lynch were thinking about the upcoming QB class. Maybe their scouting department just figured the guy they were looking for wasn't going to be available this year. And what about Cousins? Maybe they figured no way in hell Snyder wasn't going to let Cousins come to SF? 

Also, what does this do now for our first pick of the draft? Barkley? Or trade down? 

Hard to say where we end up drafting now. Garoppolo likely won't need to play for a bit, so we'll probably get a few more losses in there. But I'd say now - it has to be about trading back or drafting McGlinchey. 

I actually hope Jimmy doesn't play a down this season behind that OL. Keep putting Beathard out there to get destroyed, Hoyer if need be and let Jimmy learn the play book and take snaps at practice. We aren't playing for anything this year, no need to risk a serious injury. 

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Hard to say where we end up drafting now. Garoppolo likely won't need to play for a bit, so we'll probably get a few more losses in there. But I'd say now - it has to be about trading back or drafting McGlinchey. 

I'd love McGlinchey or Nelson. Nelson is the superior o-lineman, I think, but he's strictly interior

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

3rd would have been better given that he's still technically an unkown quantity, but at least we had the two 2nd round picks. So that helps quite a bit. 

Agreed. Really hoping we get extension details tonight. Hard to know what to expect - Mike Glennon type numbers? Guessing more than that, maybe like 3/$60

2 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

This is very strange. A trade like this during the middle of the season. So I wonder when we can expect to see him play in a game. Also, I wonder if Shanahan and Lynch were thinking about the upcoming QB class. Maybe their scouting department just figured the guy they were looking for wasn't going to be available this year. And what about Cousins? Maybe they figured no way in hell Snyder wasn't going to let Cousins come to SF? 

Also, what does this do now for our first pick of the draft? Barkley? Or trade down? 

If we can get Barkley we need to do it. I'm indifferent on this right now. I gotta wait and see. Someone said he's a FA after this season so we'll be tagging him to make him prove a contract.

Just now, steadypimpin said:

If we can get Barkley we need to do it. I'm indifferent on this right now. I gotta wait and see. Someone said he's a FA after this season so we'll be tagging him to make him prove a contract.

I wouldn't mind this either, but we are in desperate need of OL. With a QB now in place, free agents might be more likely. 

Archived