49ers Trade for Jimmy Garoppolo

GW21

I'm still sort of flabbergasted. Talk about out of left field. I know that Shanny actually really liked Jimmy G during his draft year, but I figured after not making the move this off season, that we was maybe out of the picture. I think its pretty clear that they couldn't work anything out with him for an extension, and had to salvage something in value. I hope this one is different then the other Pats backups lol. 

But in all honesty, this was basically the deal that most of us were okay with leading into this season. In some cases, it's even less. So I think it's good value because he's not going anywhere for at least this year/next, though hopefully we can get word of an extension soon. 

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd love McGlinchey or Nelson. Nelson is the superior o-lineman, I think, but he's strictly interior

Yeah.  That's what I said Sunday.  I didn't know Nelson was rated that high.  FIne. Look at the 2nd and rd best guys at OT and OG and work out a way to get either McGlinchey and a really good G, or Nelson and a really good OT. I still think Price at the top of the third as a C (who can backup at G) would be great.  WIth JG on board just go ahead and solidigy that o-line all across it.

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm still sort of flabbergasted. Talk about out of left field. I know that Shanny actually really liked Jimmy G during his draft year, but I figured after not making the move this off season, that we was maybe out of the picture. I think its pretty clear that they couldn't work anything out with him for an extension, and had to salvage something in value. I hope this one is different then the other Pats backups lol. 

But in all honesty, this was basically the deal that most of us were okay with leading into this season. In some cases, it's even less. So I think it's good value because he's not going anywhere for at least this year/next, though hopefully we can get word of an extension soon. 

Well with the trade deadline looming, I guess the 49ers just didn't want to take a chance that they'd lose out on Jimmy G and/or Cousins in the free agent market. Snyder probably wouldn't let Cousins come here anyways. 

In the offseason when I thought we might trade for a QB I rewally preferred Jimmy G to Cousins.  The thought of Cousins grew on me as it seemed like that was our direction.  But I'm thrilled with this move - especially given it only took our 2nd.  Not to mention we'll save $10-15 million in salary.  That will allow us to sign a great FA at a position of need.  And getting a QB means we can keep our first this year to fill other needs. We'll see how this works out, but right now I'm excited about it.

4 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

So CJ is going to be the punching bag until Garoppolo gets up to speed? Why not also keep Hoyer around until the season is over? 

Unless he asked what Hoyer wanted at this point, and Hoyer asked to be released and catch on with another team for an opportunity? 

If Hoyer remained on the roster longer, he would have been guaranteed more money in roster bonuses. Now we save that money. 

My first thought was: with our O-line?! Hopefully it's a matter of opportunity, and not truly a panic move caused by our current (and now former) QBs. Panic should not be the motivating factor in acquiring Garo, because honestly, we're not playing to win this year. If the Pats called and said he was available for the right price, and the planets all aligned and it was just part of the plan (or another brick in our wall... we don't need no Brian Hoyer.. we don't need no turnover... this song writes itself). Honestly, I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to Garoppolo during his draft year, and his play since. I just know that in his couple of starts last year, he played well. I don't know his personality. I don't know if he's a franchise QB, but we'll see. If he pans out, a second rounder will be ridiculously cheap. If he flops, a second rounder is something we can put behind us. 

So yeah, let the tackles get healthy, put in Magnuson at C, Kilgore at RG, then maybe we can see glimpses of what Garo can do. 

6 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

In the offseason when I thought we might trade for a QB I rewally preferred Jimmy G to Cousins.  The thought of Cousins grew on me as it seemed like that was our direction.  But I'm thrilled with this move - especially given it only took our 2nd.  Not to mention we'll save $10-15 million in salary.  That will allow us to sign a great FA at a position of need.  And getting a QB means we can keep our first this year to fill other needs. We'll see how this works out, but right now I'm excited about it.

I'm super excited as well. We'll have to see how he turns out, but as of now - this is another reason why I didn't want to trade up for unknown QBs (even if Wentz/Goff are playing better than I expected in year 2). Instead we got an unknown QB I'm just as happy with for the 2nd. 

Archived