Bears 2022 Wide Receiver Watch

soulman

On 1/12/2022 at 11:15 PM, AZBearsFan said:

How excited do you think Ridley would be about being traded to a team (granted, different regime) that cut his brother after barely giving him field time?

I’d love to add him on the field, but we don’t have the trade capital that other potential trade partners do. 

They could re-sign him. Calvin can talk to Khalil about the Bears giving a little brother a paycheck that was not really warranted. 

Bears if nothing have shown they'll keep big brother happy by keeping little brother employed. Lol

On 1/15/2022 at 7:14 AM, Madmike90 said:

Alabama junior WR John Metchie declared for the NFL Draft.

Even though he tore his ACL in the SEC Championship game, Metchie (6'0/195) declared for the NFL Draft. In recent years, teams have been less worried about ACL injuries in the draft, seeing players still drafted high in the first round with them. Metchie has world class speed and is really good in the open field with the football, amassing 96 receptions for 1,142 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He is a likely day two selection in the draft assuming the prognosis on his knee comes back positive.

Could be another quality pick for us depending on the scheme.

I realize you just cut and pasted this, so this won't be directed at you, but...who is this writer referring to? Tua? And he makes it sound like it's becoming commonplace. Am I missing something? 

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I realize you just cut and pasted this, so this won't be directed at you, but...who is this writer referring to? Tua? And he makes it sound like it's becoming commonplace. Am I missing something? 

Tua never had an ACL injury in college

In general guys are recovering quicker from ACL's (unless you're Tarik Cohen I guess)

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Tua never had an ACL injury in college

In general guys are recovering quicker from ACL's (unless you're Tarik Cohen I guess)

Well, sure. But a lot of injured guys aren't being drafted high in the first round, right?

That writer be smokin' somethin'. 

38 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

It is commonplace, it's a trend that started w/ Willis McGahee in 2001.  Basically, if you have an ACL it doesnt disqualify you from the first round on it's own.  So of the tape says your a first rounder, it's still an option.

On 1/15/2022 at 7:14 AM, Madmike90 said:

Alabama junior WR John Metchie declared for the NFL Draft.

Even though he tore his ACL in the SEC Championship game, Metchie (6'0/195) declared for the NFL Draft. In recent years, teams have been less worried about ACL injuries in the draft, seeing players still drafted high in the first round with them. Metchie has world class speed and is really good in the open field with the football, amassing 96 receptions for 1,142 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He is a likely day two selection in the draft assuming the prognosis on his knee comes back positive.

Could be another quality pick for us depending on the scheme.

Like with Jameson Williams, if you go Metchie you gotta have another legit guy in house to hold down the fort probably the first half of the season before you can expect full reps for him. I’m a big Metchie fan though. His skill set is very much like that of Mooney. He’s not at the top of my list but I’d like his selection provided the right other pieces are put in place to not have to rush him back from his ACL too soon. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

On 1/15/2022 at 6:58 AM, Madmike90 said:

Georgia junior WR George Pickens declared for the NFL Draft.

In somewhat of a surprise move, Pickens (6'3/200) declared for the NFL Draft on Friday. He tore his ACL at the end of March and didn't return to the field until the final regular-season game in thanksgiving weekend. In his play this season, Pickens never appeared to be at 100%, but his excellent ball tracking ability didn't change, as he used it to make a spectacular catch in the National Championship Game. With a great predraft process, Pickens has an opportunity to rise with a great pre-draft process, as he was viewed early in the season by some as the top wide receiver off the board.

Huge news this one...instantly should become our top target if he makes it to us.

Go get em. 

I’d be interested in seeing Russell Gage in a Bears uni next year as our primary slot WR. He’s been a nice piece for Matt Ryan in that role in Atlanta the past few years (72/786/4 in 2020; 66/770/4 in 2021). Decent size (6’0” 184) compared to a lot of the other primary slot options. Durable. Will be just 26 this coming drain.

I like Zay Jones too as a WR4, especially if we end up with Daboll. Jones’ most productive season (56/652/7) came in 2018 in Daboll’s offense. Was 47/546/1 this year, and he has some size too that we’re presently lacking at WR at 6’2” 200.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I wish OBJ’s effort wasn’t frequently a concern, because there’s still SO much talent there. He’d potentially be great for Fields. But man, I’d be on pins and needles hoping he stays motivated. 

I am thinking he is staying in LA where he is getting better weekly.  

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I am thinking he is staying in LA where he is getting better weekly.  

I’m sure he may want that, but they are so crazy over leveraged financially I don’t know that he stays for what they can afford to pay him vs. what he can (probably) get elsewhere. And there he’s always going to be a cog in the machine, and probably always the Robin to Kupp’s Batman. I think (and it’s just that - my opinion) him accepting that right now is a means to an end - I think he wants to be the guy.

In 9 games in LA he’s on a 98-target over 17 games pace, and that’s probably less next year with a healthy Robert Woods. In Chicago in 2022 he might be in line for 150+ targets under Daboll or Leftwich. 

Using Buffalo as an example, their top 4 WR had 411 combined targets this year. In Tampa, Evans and Godwin combined for 241 targets this year and that’s with 4 combined missed games, Evans playing hurt in several of them, plus AB getting 62 targets in just 7 games. Coming back for the Bears right now at WR are 140 Mooney targets and Dazz Newsome’s 5. That’s it. It wouldn’t be hard at all to see Beckham getting a Diggs/Evans/Godwin like volume under Daboll or Leftwich were they our next HC. LA just can’t offer that. 

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m sure he may want that, but they are so crazy over leveraged financially I don’t know that he stays for what they can afford to pay him vs. what he can (probably) get elsewhere. And there he’s always going to be a cog in the machine, and probably always the Robin to Kupp’s Batman. I think (and it’s just that - my opinion) him accepting that right now is a means to an end - I think he wants to be the guy.

In 9 games in LA he’s on a 98-target over 17 games pace, and that’s probably less next year with a healthy Robert Woods. In Chicago in 2022 he might be in line for 150+ targets under Daboll or Leftwich. 

Using Buffalo as an example, their top 4 WR had 411 combined targets this year. In Tampa, Evans and Godwin combined for 241 targets this year and that’s with 4 combined missed games, Evans playing hurt in several of them, plus AB getting 62 targets in just 7 games. Coming back for the Bears right now at WR are 140 Mooney targets and Dazz Newsome’s 5. That’s it. It wouldn’t be hard at all to see Beckham getting a Diggs/Evans/Godwin like volume under Daboll or Leftwich were they our next HC. LA just can’t offer that. 

Everyone is motivated by money.   So LA will have to pay enough to keep him, but I think he would like to stay.   LA has to keep its good veteran players, they have no draft picks.     

They will be another team that continues to test or prove my salary cap is mostly a myth theory.     

I am not sure he is de-motivated by potentially having fewer catches because of presence of Kupp and Wood.

I think he rather likes being on the good team after Giants and Browns.   And LA lifestyle probably suits him.  Its like NY, but warmer and with better looking people. 

• 2 weeks later...