Is It Time for A QB Change?

Just Want A Title

Would David Blough be a downgrade at this point?  Our passing-game is non-existent and something needs to change.We may not have the greatest talent at WR and nothing but TJ Hockenson at TE but watching Jared Goff play is getting painful.  He just doesn't have great arm-strength and his accuracy isn't consistent.  The root-cause doesn't really matter at this point.  The Coaching Staff needs to step up and make a change at QB.  They probably should have made a QB change during the bye week to give David Blough more reps and preparation time.  Thoughts?

I think Goff hasn’t thrown a TD in like 4 or 5 straight games.  I mean no one on the team can think he gives them the best chance to win.  It would be one thing if he checked down and was accurate but the dude just can’t seem to throw an accurate ball let alone a spiral.  Also Leaf had that guy beat today but like 5 yards and Goff couldn’t “bomb” it the 35 yards without it getting hung up in the air.  I knew he was bad but I had no idea it was this bad.  

I'm not sure there is much we can do at this point but giving someone a shot would be good.  I was fully on the give Goff a chance but man he just seems to have nothing when not surrounded by studs.  Unless we want another 25M in dead cap we will likely be stuck with Goff next year but I would like to find some competition for him.  Trubisky or a rookie.  Just something that gives us some hope again next year. 

• Like 1

Boyle has been hurt and may not be ready to go yet. If Blough hasn't seen any action so far, I'm guessing that it's because he just doesn't look the part. I really believe that if we had someone better than Goff that this coaching staff would put them in there. 

As for Goff, I get the feeling that he just wasn't healthy yesterday - which should speak volumes about what the coaching staff thinks of Blough. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

Boyle has been hurt and may not be ready to go yet. If Blough hasn't seen any action so far, I'm guessing that it's because he just doesn't look the part. I really believe that if we had someone better than Goff that this coaching staff would put them in there. 

As for Goff, I get the feeling that he just wasn't healthy yesterday - which should speak volumes about what the coaching staff thinks of Blough. 

I hate to put it like this but Blough showed pretty good arm strength in his limited playing time.  Anyone who can push the ball downfield would be an improvement at this point.

41 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I hate to put it like this but Blough showed pretty good arm strength in his limited playing time.  Anyone who can push the ball downfield would be an improvement at this point.

I have to imagine that he just hasn't shown it in practice, though. This coaching staff has had no problem cutting expensive veterans like Jamie Collins if they thought that they weren't working hard enough or producing enough. I really feel like if they thought that Blough had more to offer they would've had him in there by now. He had one or two good games, but the guy is a career 54.3% passer with a 4:7 TD:INT ratio. He's not a stud. He doesn't have any insane raw tools to make you think there's a lot of untapped potential, either. 

If you want a more toolsy guy to throw the ball downfield more, that's Tim Boyle. He just hasn't been healthy yet. 

As much as I'd like to have an answer or someone to push Goff, I don't think that person is on the roster. Goff, at least, has shown in the past that he can be good enough to win with in the NFL. Granted that was with a far superior team around him, but I don't think that there's anything that David Blough can do that Goff can't probably do better. Boyle is at least a little interesting, but I remember hearing a week or two ago that he was still just playing catch within 10-15 yards. 

Edited by Lions017

5 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

I personally would have traded for an unknown qb awhile ago...instead of recievers...blough ain't got **** either..

Me too. 

If it's me I'm at least talking to Houston/ Miami to see what they feel like needs to be done to get Watson in Miami and Tua here in Detroit. 

Idk though really just gotta coast through this season. I don't see any harm at the moment playing any QB you think can throw a ball more than 5 yards down field.

2 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Me too. 

If it's me I'm at least talking to Houston/ Miami to see what they feel like needs to be done to get Watson in Miami and Tua here in Detroit. 

Idk though really just gotta coast through this season. I don't see any harm at the moment playing any QB you think can throw a ball more than 5 yards down field.

This is the year they should be trying guys imo. I don't know why they even wanted Goff... everyone knows what he's got. Now stuck with his bs money..good job. I'd rather go 0-16-1 with literally anyone else..